Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir East West NIC Award Resolution? Very soon!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

I hear Judge Silver was going to meet with both sides attorneys on Sep 26th to review her findings, but because it was a major Jewish holiday, it was then bumped to this upcoming Monday. This is it. Would she rule that the Easties could just ignore a binding arbitration award? If so, then everyone could do the same, right? That wouldn't be right, and we all know that. If you sign up for it, you had better be prepared to accept the award. I can't wait to hear what happens! Good luck Westies!

Bye Bye----General Lee

What she's ruling on is whether or not the company has any liability to a hybrid DFR with USAPA if they accept a non-Nicolau list. With the recent developments, Parker probably doesn't care, but the APA will be watching, since they will be the ones deciding whether the Nic is the list used in the US/AA SLI.

My guess is that they will do the safe thing and use the NIC. They have no DFR threat from the east since the arbitration is fair and equitable itself as testified by everyone involved except the Angry F/O's of the east.

For the APA to cuddle up with USAPA would put them in line for endless litigation and everyone who has had any dealing with USAPA knows how pointless it is to negotiate with the untrustworthy, so they will be dismissed. APA will be all about moving forward (like an unchocked steamroller perhaps) but they won't sign up for USAPA's Windmill Brigade.

Hope this all gets put behind us soon. Often views here seem one side must win and the other must lose. I believe the future will improve greatly when we can all finally move on.

Hope this all gets put behind us soon. Often views here seem one side must win and the other must lose. I believe the future will improve greatly when we can all finally move on.

That's great and all, but if you sign up for binding arbitration, you need to accept the award. That's the point.

Bye Bye---General Lee

That's great and all, but if you sign up for binding arbitration, you need to accept the award. That's the point.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It is not great but the future looks great since I believe we will move forward together in the near future. On the other hand, APA's current course will most likely pave our future.

I hear Judge Silver was going to meet with both sides attorneys on Sep 26th to review her findings, but because it was a major Jewish holiday, it was then bumped to this upcoming Monday. This is it. Would she rule that the Easties could just ignore a binding arbitration award? If so, then everyone could do the same, right? That wouldn't be right, and we all know that. If you sign up for it, you had better be prepared to accept the award. I can't wait to hear what happens! Good luck Westies!

Bye Bye----General Lee

I believe the declaratory judgment will occur the first Tuesday in October.

This judgement will allow US Airways to establish their liability in continuing to merger East/West/APA without a seniority ruling. This is welcome news for the AMR merger moving forward!

A merged LCC/AMR will be a definite win for East/West regardless of whether or not Nicolai's award is implemented or not.

Hopefully all pilots at merged-AMR will sense a win-win scenario.

Last edited:
The first assumption is that APA won't "burn the place to the ground" as appears to be the current sentiment.

But, I'm thinking APA pilots aren't going to give up straight DOH. They will insist on the Nic. Since they have the numbers, they will effectively "out-East" the Easties.

APA will stand their ground and strengthen us all in the end. We are not replaceable and the leadership knows this and the bar will be raised for all. Unity is not far away and this too shall pass. We will be one in the near future.

Last edited:
The first assumption is that APA won't "burn the place to the ground" as appears to be the current sentiment.

But, I'm thinking APA pilots aren't going to give up straight DOH. They will insist on the Nic. Since they have the numbers, they will effectively "out-East" the Easties.

The APA probably doesn't want the NIC award either, because more of the Westies are younger on average. That doesn't help the AA guys compared to the old Easties all coming in above them but then retiring in 4 years at age 65. They want older pilots in front of them, not younger ones. So, the APA probably doesn't want the NIC award either, but it is the way to do it since it was an arbitrated award.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You have a point. It's a choice - fewer, younger guys with adjusted DOH in front or scads of older guys with straight DOH. Sadly, Nic award or not, it will come down to what is good for "me" as opposed what's right.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back