• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir class of 99' - Recall Pay-Rates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No. Not particularly. <grin> I'm socking away money like a squirrel before winter in preparation for the next career catastrophy.

Would a furloughee hired in 99 be returning with 3 years longevity or with 7?

You're kidding right? How could you even fathom getting credit for time while laid off? :rolleyes:

I can fathom a lot of things. At one time I thought I was going to retire as the number one Airbus 330 (or equivalent) Captain.

I also thought that I had the "brass ring" career.

I also thought that "Jetblue" sounded like a mouthwash and that they would be out of business in six months.

My ability to fathom the improbable is not in question. :)

Saabslime said:
You're kidding right? How could you even fathom getting credit for time while laid off? :rolleyes:

I think some other airlines had that provision for past furloughs. Not sure anyone still accrues longevity while on furlough. But I do have a buddy who recently accepted recall to UAL, took immediate LOA, and (at least thinks he) is accruing longevity, reducing the time for his seat lock, and is on UAL bennies.

Of course LCC has no such provision to my knowledge.

Don't want to confuse anyone with the "Facts"

Saabslime said:

At Airways, under the 1997 contract (as with previous contacts), furloughees continued to accrue longevity even while on furlough. Those hired after the 1997 contract were not covered by this provision. So, it is possible to "even fathom" it; he was just incorrect as to who was 'covered' by this provision of the contract. Later, I believe in 2002, with the first 'concessionary contract,' the company took this back, and effective Jan. 2003, no pilot on furlough would continue to accrue longevity, regardless of seniority/hire date.

Over the years, many union contacts (at airlines, as well as other industries), there were provisions whereby furloughees would continue to accure longevity, even though 'layed off.'

"Not kidding" Just the facts. But, again, wouldn't want to confuse anyone here with the 'Facts.'

I wasn't aware that it happened that way. Funny that it happened in 02 once all of the furloughees were long gone.

Good ol' ALPA. Want some ketchup with your young?

Yes, good news!

Now the disclaimer: Unfortunately it's a further net reduction of about 60 pilots IIRC. The incredible shrinking airline indeed! Only AA does it better.

Last edited:
Things seem to be spooling up. If the retirement age isn't raised to 65 too quickly they may be able to make some headway on recalls in 07.

AWA had no provision in their contract during their last furlough, but admirably made it a "must have" when they signed their first contract back in 1995. In the most extreme example, pilots on the property one day before being furloughed came back at fifth year pay. Surely Doogie can sign on for perpuetuating this trend?

AA may have also given longevity credit during their furlough of the early 90's - I don't have direct knowledge - maybe someone can weigh in.

I would expect to see several airlines also negotiate this credit over the coming year or two.

Latest resources

Back