USA JET PILOTS: Now what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Facts mam, just the facts

Thanks Don, hey! Guys were talking about great news, so I gave the good. However since the downside has been posted. We are not flying; pilots are being paid for 65 hours while flying 15. The on-demand business still runs on the automotive coattail. Any who reads the business section of their newspaper knows the US auto industry is in big trouble. If the US automakers do not sell cars, we do not fly as much. There was company wide lay offs in every department. Including upper management reductions. Pilots were the only group to not get laid off. At our current flying levels, it was no surprise to anyone; everyone was expecting a lay off. From my immediate feedback, particularly from the junior pilots, this was a good plan. It preserves jobs, and gives the capability to come back if business levels return. And the catch is, if we are as busy this June as June of 04, and every pilots sells those three days off back to the company their pay will be almost identical. In fact it will be more, everyone is still getting annual pay rate increases. The alternative was a lay off by seniority in equipment. That would have been grossly unfair. USA Jet has tried to break away from the mold of the typical on-demand operation, with great training, above industry starting pay, a base pay that allows you to apply for a decent mortgage, a good number of guaranteed days off, licensed dispatchers to release every flight, and fantastic maintenance. All this puts us at a cost disadvantage when bidding against the likes of Grand Aire, etc. It has been working our turnover is around 10% per year, and we have been successful in attracting and hiring high quality pilots. We were doing the right things but this is a cutthroat business. Hopefully we will all have big smiles when business comes back this summer.

Last edited:
As one the USA Jet captains that just lost 26% of my pay yesterday, I am seriously looking to move on if anyone has any good tidbit's of info. The other problem with this company is that history has shown that once they take something from the pilot group, it will never return. In other words I seriously doubt if our pay will ever go back up. That's hat happened with the $3.00 per diem and extended layover pay, once the company takes, you will never get it back.

Good Luck to all my commrades at JUS, J

Jeb, come on! you left out the other part, I went throught that change with every pilot who had your question three years ago before you even worked here. Everyone made more money under the new pay plan in 2002 and not just a little. But $1000's more per year. If you elect to leave, leave for the right reason. Do not leave to show us you, put your career before your heart on your sleeve. Like Ray said this is temporary. In fact we may have the guys who like to sell days not want to change back to the way it was.

Well, I hope you're right Randy, but the fact is I have to at least look for a second job just to pay next month's bills. If the company doesn't survive this, I don't want to be one of those going down with the ship!!

The sad part is that USA Jet actively stops the pilots from leaving. As in - they call companies that pilots are trying to get interviews at and tell them not to interview USA Jet pilots.

It shows what kind of company it is when they won't let their employees further their career - kind of back door contract. Then they cut their pay. Real nice place.

iaflyer

Well Jeb, I see you haven’t lost your habit of whining when things don’t go the way you like. Randy, tell “Little Buddy” there to quit his sniveling or you’re going to b!tch slap him back to being a Baron pilot up in Traverse City. I’m sure he would be real happy to be working for Roy and Scott back at ASI.:D

Come on Alex, be nice, besides you still owe me a beer, or do I owe you a beer?

Personally, I think that not laying off any pilots was really only mostly fair to the company. This way the company gets to keep all the junior pilots on the line without losing their training costs. It's not that great a deal for the junior pilots, as they are now getting paid approximately what they would be getting on unemployment. Although, they do get to keep their benefits. I guess that's a plus for them. I know it sounds selfish, but I'd have preferred the normal layoff routine over losing almost 30% of my pay.

Way to go, USA Jet!!!

O.K. guys, I have listened to both sides and come on. With the industry the way it is right now, would you want more days off with the possibility of getting to sell back those days at some time OR would you like to sit on the streets and collect unemployment, while trying to find work. Of course, it is easy for the ones up on the seniority list to complain about the 3 extra days off instead of the lay-offs!! Here is a thought, start at the top and work down. Attitudes would suddenly change wouldn't they? But, then again we know THAT couldn't happen don't we? I have been on the streets four times now and let me tell you, it's not fun wondering IF or when your unemployment check will arrive so you can pay those bills. (Kinda nerve racking)
SO look at the bright side of things, you have a good job right now with tough times and an industry that is very competitive. And one more thing, WHEN have you ever heard of companies laying off all departments and UPPER management without laying off the pilot core? I personally want to thank USA Jet and the management for thinking of us, the pilots.

Latest resources

Back