USA Jet Eliminates Training Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

Falcon guys get 11 hard days/month. -9 guys get 13. If you're out of town coming up on your days off, the company will airline you to DTW, or anywhere, if the price is about the same. I basically never airline to DTW-I go somewhere else.

PM me with your email for more info.

cliff
GRB

$34 K per year to start, 10 hard days off every 28 day bid period. This means you are home by 0600 the start of your days off, even if we have to buy you an airline ticket or miss a trip. While in a duty status, you have to live in the immediate YIP area. Benefits are good with a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan you would be eligible for after 90 days. Pay goes up for F/O’s $2/hr in the 3rd year. Captain could be as early as a year, depends upon turnover and growth. Company covers all hotel costs on the road and gives the pilots $1.58 per hour pre-diem while away from YIP to cover meals. Time away from home is the luck of the draw, one guy’s fly’s 80 hours and is gone from home 6 days, and the next guy flies 45 hours and is gone 12 days. Some guys spend one night a month in a hotel way from home, but fly many night time round trips. It is a non-sked, hence no schedule. If interested please post a resume to the above address and we will see if you presently meet our hiring profile.

I think that if anyone wanted to put up with life on a pager and trips that are more like controlled chaos, there will likely be an opportunity to to become a falcon capt. at USAJ in 6-12 months. This is assuming you are a sharp instrument pilot and come in with a little higher total time than most. Right now upgrade mins are about 3k TT, although the times will be demanding less eventually. If you have a family that is willing to live within 20 minutes of YIP you will probably see them about 20 days a month, give or take a few. I personally feel that the times will soon dictate more days off for falcon pilots.

JF

I think that if anyone wanted to put up with life on a pager and trips that are more like controlled chaos, there will likely be an opportunity to to become a falcon capt. at USAJ in 6-12 months. This is assuming you are a sharp instrument pilot and come in with a little higher total time than most. Right now upgrade mins are about 3k TT, although the times will be demanding less eventually. If you have a family that is willing to live within 20 minutes of YIP you will probably see them about 20 days a month, give or take a few. I personally feel that the times will soon dictate more days off for falcon pilots.

JF

Well said. And this among other reasons is why if you have 2k plus USA Jet is the place to be, and this is a company that wants to grow. Even if you have less than 2k, they will put you to work flying a jet and you will build valuable time. While you might not get the quick upgrade with lower times the QOL and pay at USA Jet is unparalleled not only in the On Demand Cargo business (for this size of aircaft) it is also better than every regional out there. This of course is assuming that you choose to live in base. If you choose to commute, well.... thats your choice. I've been down that road and I regretted it later. (I have to say that I think commuting is by far the quickest way for a pilot to kill his or her QOL)

Back to USA Jet...... They are not satisfied with that they have, even though what they have is a good thing. That is the right attitude to have. In aviation, you should never get too comfortable, this includes in the air and with how you run your business. Complacency not only kills pilots, it kills profits. You can't have one without the other.

I almost did not come here because of the location of the company. I had read all the horror stories about Detroit. I moved here from the East Coast where I was working at my last job. And so far the only thing I can tell you is don't believe everything that you read about Detroit. Sure, there are parts of town that you really have no business being in , but one thing you will quickly realize if you move here is that Willow Run is not really part of Downtown at all. There are plenty of great areas within the call out time area that seem to me like great places to raise a family and settle down. (Canton for example, or on the lake in Belleville) My point, while Detroit is not booming like other towns like Phoenix, or Denver there are still great parts of town and you can actually afford to buy a house here, ON FIRST YEAR PAY. Where else can you do that? Thats what I call great QOL!

Well said. And this among other reasons is why if you have 2k plus USA Jet is the place to be, and this is a company that wants to grow. Even if you have less than 2k, they will put you to work flying a jet and you will build valuable time. While you might not get the quick upgrade with lower times the QOL and pay at USA Jet is unparalleled not only in the On Demand Cargo business (for this size of aircaft) it is also better than every regional out there. This of course is assuming that you choose to live in base. If you choose to commute, well.... thats your choice. I've been down that road and I regretted it later. (I have to say that I think commuting is by far the quickest way for a pilot to kill his or her QOL)

Back to USA Jet...... They are not satisfied with that they have, even though what they have is a good thing. That is the right attitude to have. In aviation, you should never get too comfortable, this includes in the air and with how you run your business. Complacency not only kills pilots, it kills profits. You can't have one without the other.

I almost did not come here because of the location of the company. I had read all the horror stories about Detroit. I moved here from the East Coast where I was working at my last job. And so far the only thing I can tell you is don't believe everything that you read about Detroit. Sure, there are parts of town that you really have no business being in , but one thing you will quickly realize if you move here is that Willow Run is not really part of Downtown at all. There are plenty of great areas within the call out time area that seem to me like great places to raise a family and settle down. (Canton for example, or on the lake in Belleville) My point, while Detroit is not booming like other towns like Phoenix, or Denver there are still great parts of town and you can actually afford to buy a house here, ON FIRST YEAR PAY. Where else can you do that? Thats what I call great QOL!

Belleville seems the same as the SW burbs of Chicago.

YIP is what you make of it, for a native Michigander who has lived all over the US I kinda like it. No hurricanes, no floods, a couple tornadoes once in while, and ice and snow. However, in Michigan ice and snow is not really a big deal like it is down south, they are equipped to handle it. The season change is something you really enjoy, unlike living in FL. where you go Ho Hum another beautiful day, so what. In Michigan, people call in sick on beautiful days. Flying out of YIP will make you one of the best instrument pilots in the country, YIP ranks up with SEA for the number of IFR days. In YIP you will learn the real meaning of clean airplane, deicing is a way of life you get really good at understanding holdover time. At YIP you will develop flying skills that allow you move onto your career destination, even if you do not care for the area like some. It gave him the resume fluff to move to his next job. We all pay our dues in some way; YIP is only one way. Our turnover at USA Jet is very low so some other people must have found YIP an all right place to spend some time. How many major airports are there in the country where you can live 10 minutes from the parking lot on an acre of land for less than 200K? Where else can you still get one dollar drafts at places like the Wedge? As I said at the start YIP is what you make of it, some people say it is OK, others do not like it here and do not apply. Simple choices.

Hi!

De-icing out of YIP.

I did not de-ice once this winter-weird! Twice we put a plane in a hanger on the road to avoid de-icing.

Way-to-broke:
You need to STOP all the orange stuff. Mix it with 1/2 of that nice, dark blue color (not the lighter blue of FLORIDA-gross!). That will give you some contrast, and turn your VOLs into a nice War Eagle/Tiger!!! Go Plainsmen!

C U Soon!

cliff
GRB

USA Jet has seen their ups and downs over the past few years, but as the company continues to diversify and the economy continues to stabilize, things will continue to improve. I have spent nearly 5 years here building valuable time and experience This was my first jet and my first type rating, I have been fortunate to hold many different positions in the training department. Like Cruxx said our training is second to none. The pay is good and the pilots are getting treated much better, I for one am glad I came here over a couple of regional opportunities I had. It has been a lot of fun and I will miss it.

Latest resources

Back