• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US FO sticks it to FA's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Either way, any west airplane operated above about 45 degrees latitude is probably an accident waiting to happen :laugh:

Good thing that FA was experienced with ice....probably saved the ex mesa FO's bacon and everyone else's. He should just thank her and move on, but instead he sues. I guess that's the American way these days.

With a combined 500 years of flying and 50 jillion hours of flight time, that highly experienced east crew should have known not to go right back to the gate after aborting, come on. "Come on, lets getting going, shove her back out..." Phoooooosh.

Way more to the story than what is in the article! The FAA also had some major back tracking to do when it over stepped it's self with an overly aggresssive female inspector. The media only has part of the story and both side have their versions. Ed's a good guy and the captain retired a few month's after the incident, but who is the final authority( Captain Sully!!!) the PIC!

P.S.- The clowns at USAPA and East pilots have 13 hull losses to back up their flying skills, AWA had 2 hull losses and no KIA in 23 years!

Last edited:
All I can say is, Wow, what a mess!

Before Air Florida in 1982 deicing procedures were a lot more lax-a-dasical. There was only one type of fluid, there were no holdover times. Heck, engine anti-ice was Capts descretion and for some reason he didn't have it on for his T/O in the snowstorm!

Now (the F/O used these words!) you have to cover your ass! Every time! The F/A's are watching and the PAX are watching now!

A lot of us know if there is a thin (really thin) layer of frost on a small area of the wing that you could load-er up and blast off with no problems at all. But these days (even if it's your last leg and you're going home) you've GOT to cover your butt and order the deice even though with all your experience you know you are pissing away money you don't have to.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight- The FA's demand the airplane get deiced, the f/o disagrees but gets the plane deiced anyway and the dingbats in the back still call the FAA on him? That's a new definition of vendetta. The flight attendants deserve what is coming to them.

So let me get this straight- The FA's demand the airplane get deiced, the f/o disagrees but gets the plane deiced anyway and the dingbats in the back still call the FAA on him? That's a new definition of vendetta. The flight attendants deserve what is coming to them.

Completely agree. For the FA's to call the FAA like that afterwards is cowardly. We make the decisions up there and that's final. Do the Fa's think we don't want to be safe ???

Either way, any west airplane operated above about 45 degrees latitude is probably an accident waiting to happen :laugh:

Good thing that FA was experienced with ice....probably saved the ex mesa FO's bacon and everyone else's. He should just thank her and move on, but instead he sues. I guess that's the American way these days.

(sigh) Ever been to Anchorage? Yeah, I didn't think you guys went there. At yet, the West has been going there for some time.

I don't know the FO, but based on what I've read here (*a notably reputable source of journalistic information) he's a d-bag. Doesn't matter WHAT company he works for.

And hey, why are you wasting your time throwing mud on FI? Isn't there a fellow West pilot you're suppose to be suing for not giving up his seat to you or something similar? Keep those checks coming to USAPA. That's going to cover the dues money I'm not responsible for. Thanks!

This reminds me of a similiar incident that happened to a friend of mine, back in this regional days. He was flying a newer E145 with still shiny leading edges, when on the approach at night pax were saying he had ice on his wings (OAT being +15C). The next day he got a call from the CP telling him that the FAA had received a complaint. Backseat drivers! Love 'em!
Is the case out of CVG to IAH, if it is please do not defend the pilot, you will look bad

It all comes down to pride. The FA's pride was hurt because her concerns (real or imagined) were dismissed. The F/O's pride was hurt because he felt countermanded by an FA (likely a senior mama know-it-all). The solution should be to hear each other out without prejudice and make a decision that is sound and communicate why you are making the decision.

You can make a million over-conservative decisions but perhaps only one hasty one.

Latest resources

Back