• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways May 12th class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There well only be furloughs if we shot ourselves in thre foot by neg. away our min fleet level per the transition agreement. We are within 15 or so aircraft.

Gentleman,

If oil makes it over $150/bbl, if you are 50% from the bottom you better be looking at that second career or a good college.

Consolidation, Great. But as long is there are 4 or more airlines out there, the competition will be too great and the fare wars will continue. ie, losses, losses, losses.

A merger does none of us any good if there isn't a capacity reduction. Merge away, so the hedge funds can line their pockets and walk away from the ashes.

Last edited:
If you're in the May 12 class, congrats, I got a letter today saying keep swimming, no more classes scheduled.

Don't be surprised if there is another furlough at US this fall.

If you are on the bottom 10% of any legacy carrier, I would be catching up your logbook, and working on the resume.

Not to sound negative, but the furloughs may be in full force when the summer is over. Best to start preparing now, just in case. Mentally assume you will be furloughed and plan accordingly. Then if you are not, great.

Everyone has over-hired once again, my airline included.

Dogwood.
(Furloughed from US Airways in 2003 with very little notice, and no pre-planning on my part.)

That is very good advice. I would add Frontier, Jet Blue and Airtran to the list though. The only safe places are SW, FedEx, and UPS.

Gentleman,

If oil makes it over $150/bbl, if you are 50% from the bottom you better be looking at that second career or a good college.

50% no, 15% maybe, the economics make it impractical to furlough much more than that (if you know what I mean) when you get to that point things tend to spiral out of control pretty quickly.

I would agree. Don't know where you guys are coming from or how bad it is there, but I would be very nervous to be on the bottom of the list at a place like us airways.

ATA furloughed 30%. They recalled some, but shut down about a year later.

If you're with a pax carrier, be ready. Anything can happen.

50% no, 15% maybe, the economics make it impractical to furlough much more than that (if you know what I mean) when you get to that point things tend to spiral out of control pretty quickly.

After 9-11, US Airways furloughed the highest percentage of pilots than any other legacy airline. They furloughed 1800 pilots off a list of 5100, or 36%, so don't under estimate what is possible. It went on for years, and came in several furlough/downsizing cycles. FWIW...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back