US Airways May 12th class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Auto, I believe you missed my point.

With oil at these levels, quite a few airlines are going to be gone. If you go Ch.11 you have to show an exit plan. Pretty tough to do with oil this high.

Unfortunately, IMO, I think we are going to see a few 100% furloughs.

At current rates oil will be at $150 this summer.

After 9-11, US Airways furloughed the highest percentage of pilots than any other legacy airline. They furloughed 1800 pilots off a list of 5100, or 36%, so don't under estimate what is possible. It went on for years, and came in several furlough/downsizing cycles. FWIW...

Then they merged with AWA, started recalling and upgrading...

Auto, I believe you missed my point.

With oil at these levels, quite a few airlines are going to be gone. If you go Ch.11 you have to show an exit plan. Pretty tough to do with oil this high.

Unfortunately, IMO, I think we are going to see a few 100% furloughs.

It current rates oil will be at $150 this summer.

_____Oil does not increase at a "rate." It trades due to market fluctuations. It is what it is. Airlines will adapt or be destroyed. If the latter, the govt. will step in and make major changes (re-regulation) or they will not and chaos will ensue.

_____Soon we (the capitalists) will realize that this is not an aberation, but rather a permanent new paradigm (increased worldwide demand from China, India and many other former dirt floor dwellers).

_____Until then, it is great advice to have your resume and apps up to date. I might suggest additionally to get a generous food/medicine/firearm/ammunition supply put together. But that could just be the boy scout in me coming out. History bears the logic of this out, and unfortunately repeats itself.

What was the aircraft breakout for the last class full of PDT Dash drivers? I thought I heard a split between PHX-based 737s and LAS-based Airbuses. Anyone have the split?

Will the next class be West Coast based as well?

On March 2, 2002 I was furloughed from US Airways where I was 4997 out of 6076 on the list. Check my math, but I believe that is around 17.8%

Remained on furlough until October 2007 when I was given my final opportunity to accept recall. I declined.

Then they merged with AWA, started recalling and upgrading...

Not exactly, they closed the merger deal, AWA then announced that they were parking 30 737's and 5 Airbii on the East side. A year and a half later they began to recall pilots, with 20% of the 1800 furloughees electing to come back.

But that's all beside the point. The post I was responding to concerned typical furloughing practices, and since this was a US Airways thread I felt the need to share some relevant history.

On March 2, 2002 I was furloughed from US Airways where I was 4997 out of 6076 on the list. Check my math, but I believe that is around 17.8%

Remained on furlough until October 2007 when I was given my final opportunity to accept recall. I declined.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things are better where you are now. Your math is correct, but were you the last pilot to get furloughed? I'm not trying to pick knits, but as I recall they continued to furlough past that date.

I might suggest additionally to get a generous food/medicine/firearm/ammunition supply put together...History bears the logic of this out, and unfortunately repeats itself.

Sounds like you're expecting more that a recession or industry downturn. There are those who fear for a major inflationary senario.

Sounds like you're expecting more that a recession or industry downturn. There are those who fear for a major inflationary senario.

_____I would not go so far to say expecting, but I would not be surprised. A saying goes, better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it. Same applies to the skills to use it, and food etc.

_____My situation/perspective is of course personal, but I am not willing to remain at my regional while I await for the perfect time to become major airline furlough fodder.

_____As an example, I got married and bought a house within 3 months of 9/11/2001. I thought my whole world and all my dreams/plans were in danger of collapsing around me. As it turned out, I never even was furloughed, and my house increased to twice the price I paid for it.

Not exactly, they closed the merger deal, AWA then announced that they were parking 30 737's and 5 Airbii on the East side. A year and a half later they began to recall pilots, with 20% of the 1800 furloughees electing to come back.

But that's all beside the point. The post I was responding to concerned typical furloughing practices, and since this was a US Airways thread I felt the need to share some relevant history.

According to the former ALPA, now USAPA man who gave a presentation to our class, 700 of the 1800 returned.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back