• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways May 12th class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If any new hires are looking for a crash pad, check out the ad in the Crashpad column. Welcome aboard!

According to the former ALPA, now USAPA man who gave a presentation to our class, 700 of the 1800 returned.

yes he (DC) is correct but I'm not sure if it takes into account thoes that showed for class then resigned during class to get their cash.

I THINK the 700 is the number that showed for class, but the actual number that stayed is less than the 700.

Also off-the-street new hires are only around 100 in number. The most junior CEL guy or lest senior furlough is/was number 3552 (+/- 1 or 2) and on the July bid 3622 was the most junior guy (phl e190). 3622-3534 = 70 new hires. That 70 doesn't include the 14 or so that started indoc in PHX on 4/14. There is another small class (say 5 guys - last returning j4j) on 5/4 and (from what I hear) the last class on 5/12 which I guessing will be 15 guys (pdt/psa pref. guys and other airlines).

So 70+5+14+15= 104 newhires inclass since interviewing started. This doesn't include the newhires that went to the west - I only have number for east. Acually taking that into account the 4/14 PHX class had about 7 go west so lower that 104 by 7 for 97 on the east side "off-the -street".

alot less than the 400 orginally stated

As for the aircraft and pilot numbers (east side only and using the July bid numbers)

The bid said there are 2800 flying positions. Like I said before 3622 was the highest number I saw (phl e190 fo) So 3622-2800=822 guy on leave/med or instructors I guess.

My best guess on the east fleet is 220 (boeing/ab) and 15 E190's. (remember the 190's don't count twards the 220 min fleet) So 235 total aircraft.

2800/235=11.91 pilot/aircraft. I was told that there are about 250 instructors across the fleet so taking thoes from the 822 inactive and adding them to the 2800 is 3050. 3050/235=12.97 pilot/aircraft which seems about right from what i'm told.

the number are my "educated" estimate using the data i have available. The 220 number is our min fleet from LOA #499049494390349043E to the 99th power. Again the 190's don't count so by year end with 220 ab and boeing and 25 e190's that is 245 east aircraft. at 13 pilots per aircraft 13 times 245 is 3185 pilots. #3622 total so in the list for july. they say that at a major at any given time 10% of the list is on med or loa so 10% of 3622 = 362. 3622-362 = 3260. 3260-3185 = 75

Last edited:
After 9-11, US Airways furloughed the highest percentage of pilots than any other legacy airline. They furloughed 1800 pilots off a list of 5100, or 36%, so don't under estimate what is possible. It went on for years, and came in several furlough/downsizing cycles. FWIW...

Correct, and they were a basket case on the verge of shutting down. Hence, my spiralling out of control statement. Had a rescue not occured 100% would have been gone.

Correct, and they were a basket case on the verge of shutting down. Hence, my spiralling out of control statement. Had a rescue not occured 100% would have been gone.

Oh, is that what would have happened? Thanks. I've been wondering if someone on the Internet could clear this mystery up for all of us since, you know, U's been going out of business for 20 years or more. Finally, someone willing to come forward with a "statement of fact" on the topic!

Yeah, and ATA and ALOHA were great airlines and no one predicted their sudden demise. Now puff! Gone.

The only way you get extreme cost cuts is by spreading fear of shutting down. The contract would have been voted down if the pilots were not concerned. You never hear fear tactics if they are really in trouble. Fear is a tool management uses to get as much money out of a company. The plan is to get rich by spreading fear and then cashing in knowing how dumb and selfish pilots are.
USair was not going anywhere. To bad the pilots agreed to LOA 93. From BK to being the most profitabe airline next to SWA in just 2 years. Give me a break.

Yeah, and ATA and ALOHA were great airlines and no one predicted their sudden demise. Now puff! Gone.

The only way you get extreme cost cuts is by spreading fear of shutting down. The contract would have been voted down if the pilots were not concerned. You never hear fear tactics if they are really in trouble. Fear is a tool management uses to get as much money out of a company. The plan is to get rich by spreading fear and then cashing in knowing how dumb and selfish pilots are.
USair was not going anywhere. To bad the pilots agreed to LOA 93. From BK to being the most profitabe airline next to SWA in just 2 years. Give me a break.

I my gosh you guys are delusional. You didn't even have enough money left to make the payroll. We payed your salaries by buying a f$#%ing aircraft the month leading into the merger. Holy cripes, no wonder you guys were so out of touch with the integration. Get a clue.

_____It is what it is. _____
You must have had the same instructor for g/s that I had.... notice how they all use that line? The only fire power we really needed at the cookout was the charcoal! ;) Have you learned your hollers yet?
You are going to miss out on a fantastic sim instructor here in PHX. DM is teaching us some very amazing stuff!

Yeah- but doesn't it really hurt the industry to be flying under this bk loa? Yes - it really does. So since you (meaning 51% of AAA pilots) signed off on this to protect your seniority- then got your airline cut in half and the rest jacked in the Nic award i think is a union's form of justice.... Maybe you should think twice before whoring yourself out to "save" your seniority.

You all would have much more credibility if you used your experience to lobby for change to our archaeic seniority system. In the meantime- since you've condoned the status quo- you get to live w/ it. I like many of you- but don't feel a bit sorry for any of you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back