• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air type in the Hudson?????????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you Amish, I'm glad you recognized my screenname. ( It had been awhile since I posted because I am a widow of a pilot who died on a layover so I just shyed away) I can't ask my husband these silly questions anymore.

My point was the training, I will not name the companies at this point, but if I had a tape recorder, a ditching in training is like ( oh no need to worry, it won't ever happen, "you have questions on the 100 pound raft in the overheads?, oh don't worry just pass the test! " just memorize everything and you will be on the line, ok. Good news I always looked at the manuals during flight, I can't lift a 100 pound raft but it was always there, I don't think any rafts where used in this landing, maybe the slides that are rafts too.

I've also worked on 737 in which slides are rafts, but never needed.

Thank you Amish, I'm glad you recognized my screenname. ( It had been awhile since I posted because I am a widow of a pilot who died on a layover so I just shyed away) I can't ask my husband these silly questions anymore.

My point was the training, I will not name the companies at this point, but if I had a tape recorder, a ditching in training is like ( oh no need to worry, it won't ever happen, "you have questions on the 100 pound raft in the overheads?, oh don't worry just pass the test! " just memorize everything and you will be on the line, ok. Good news I always looked at the manuals during flight, I can't lift a 100 pound raft but it was always there, I don't think any rafts where used in this landing, maybe the slides that are rafts too.

I've also worked on 737 in which slides are rafts, but never needed.

Sorry about your loss....

and welcome back too.

Those slide do in fact double as rafts...

FINALLY pilots get the "job well done" that they deserve. Positive publicity will only help us in our careers (in the public's eyes). I was getting sick and tired of how us pilots are nothing but alcoholic, overpaid workers. Sadly, it took an event like this for people to realize that. Great job to all!!!!

Looks like that Ditching button actually works! Great job by the crew!

Well done Captain Sullenberg, First Officer Skiles, and then entire cabin crew! Hope to buy you all a beverage of your choice someday!:beer:

CNN and others keep saying "how rare it is for birds to take out two engines on a jet". I'm surprised that no one has brought up the crash of YUCLA 27 out of Elmendorf a few years back. If I recall correctly, this AWACS struck Canadian geese shortly after TO. Multiple engine failure ensued resulting in the loss of control and subsequent crash. All on board perished.

Page 11 of this thread:D

I didn't catch the news on this until tonight. I actually choked up a bit- and have never been prouder. I keep imagining the decision to stay over water and away from the city, not attempting the airport- how decisive, how quick- knowing you're going to put the a/c in cold water- and ditching events don't always end so positively.

I've said for a long time- USAir has the best training out there. I'm very proud of our peers. We should all feel a bit of pride today. And remember that that crew didn't wake up thinking they were going to do that- the next could be any of us.

Latest resources

Back