• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air firing pilot who's gun discharged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you follow SOP to the letter, you won't have an "accidental" discharge. Simple as that...

As for firing the guy, well.... we'll see if USAPA has any clout. Nevermind, I know the answer to that.

PMFJI...........The FFDO was not following SOP's. How do I know.......I'm an FFDO

The accidental discharge happened at approx, 8,000 ft. While in the sterile environment, the weapon should have,

1. Been stowed before reaching 10,000 ft.,

2. Been in holster on strong side, stowed before opening flight deck door.

3. Not been on console next to control stick (Airbus) where weapon is not secured on FFDO's strong side.

It was said that the weapon was loose on the console next to the control stick, not secured on FFDO's belt, which is required by FAM policy, therefore allowing an accidental discharge to happen by bypassing required SOP's to lock the weapon only while taking weapon off belt.

Yes.........FFDO F' up. Do I think he should be fired for that....NO!!!

However.......he was probably a USAPA proponent, and now wishes he had ALPA to back him up.

This is only the beginning to USAPA's demise.

Everyone is badgering the pilot for "pulling the trigger". Here is the problem and the obscuring of the design.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bqOLjEli6yY

There is no safety on the weapon mandated to be carried, and it is mandatory to keep it loaded for use.

I agree that he shouldn't have been stowing the weapon while in flight, but it isn't worth firing the guy over. Enjoy the vid, it's worth a quick view.

1. A gun does not go off unless dropped with severe force, in such a manner that the bullet is hit perfectly to fire it.

2. Absent the above, the trigger must be pulled to fire a round.

The trigger must be pulled to fire a round. You could throw the H&K USP off of a building -- unless the trigger is pulled as hit hits the ground, it won't fire.

Everyone is badgering the pilot for "pulling the trigger". Here is the problem and the obscuring of the design.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bqOLjEli6yY

There is no safety on the weapon mandated to be carried, and it is mandatory to keep it loaded for use.

I agree that he shouldn't have been stowing the weapon while in flight, but it isn't worth firing the guy over. Enjoy the vid, it's worth a quick view.

I'm surprised the TSA hasn't pulled that video.

In any case, once again, even if stowing the weapon during flight, if he stuck to the SOP - it wouldn't have discharged. Plain and simple. This guy tried to reinvent the wheel and didn't do as he was trained - BANG!

Do I think he should have been fired? No way. Unfortunately for him, ALPA is off the property so getting his job back is now gonna be that much harder with USAPA.

The trigger must be pulled to fire a round. You could throw the H&K USP off of a building -- unless the trigger is pulled as hit hits the ground, it won't fire.

Ok, good. I was speaking towards the generally-not-informed crowd about most handguns, revolvers, etc.

This is the perfect storm of circumstances. This is a huge problem with the FFDO program. As a police officer I had a union who would fight for my best interests as a police officer who carries a gun. As an FFDO nobody from the GOV is stepping up to back this guy. The company is obviously against the program. The union has its own problem and really it is out of the scope of their charter anyway. The FFDO program is a government program and they should have government representation/laws similar to federal agents, AND NOTHING LESS. Until this happens the program is a danger to the companies (lawsuits), unions (trying to defend a program they have no control over) and the pilots who volunteer (personally vulnerable legally and financially).

Man I couldn't agree more. It's criminal. The gov. lawyers should be all over this, but pathetically, all I'm hearing is the sound of a steam roller heading his way!

Ok, good. I was speaking towards the generally-not-informed crowd about most handguns, revolvers, etc.

And I was talking specifically about the LEM model of the H & K USP .40 -- but then I didn't read the first two pages of this thread, maybe it was covered already.

The "bolts just blew" defense doesn't work so well with this particular handgun. Should he be fired over it -- dunno.

And I was talking specifically about the LEM model of the H & K USP .40 -- but then I didn't read the first two pages of this thread, maybe it was covered already.

The "bolts just blew" defense doesn't work so well with this particular handgun. Should he be fired over it -- dunno.

Don't know either....maybe some damaging info was pulled from the CVR (blahblahblahblahBAM....WTFWT?)

Following the SOP will keep you out of trouble.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back