• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air firing pilot who's gun discharged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why couldn't they just kick him out of the FFDO program and let him keep his job?

By the way, guns don't go off "accidentally" all by themselves. They go off when careless people "accidentally" keep a round in the chamber, "accidentally" take the safety off and "accidentally"' pull the trigger.

Still, taking away the livelihood of a 55-year-old pilot who, for all we know, has never had a problem with his PRIMARY job is just ridiculous.

FYI,

Not an FFDO, but do know that SOP requires the firearm to always be kept with a live round in the chamber; and the gun has the LEM, meaning it does NOT have a 'safety'

That said, 'accidents' do happen; different kinds of accidents happen to everyone at some point, Not a reason to fire someone.

For what its worth.

DA

The fact of the matter is that the guy screwed up. He did not follow SOP and he shot a hole in the side of the airplane. Its not the holster, or the lock, or the SOP's fault. It's his and his alone. I'm not saying he should be fired, I'm just tired of everyone trying to lay blame on everything except the pilot. If you follow the SOP's, this will not happen.

It sucks however that his company and ALPA and shortly USAPA are all throwing him under the bus. He should be thrown out of the FFDO program I feel, but not fired.

Gentlemen,

If you're thinking of posting information in a "SOP says..." format, please consider not posting it. SSI should actually mean something.

Yes, no doubt, the guy in question screwed up. Final responsibility lies with him; it's a structure I'm sure we're all familiar with.

However, like any accident, there we're contributing factors. These factors need to be identified (privately, please) and mitigated to help prevent a similiar situation from occurring again. Also, a process we're all familiar with.

Still, taking away the livelihood of a 55-year-old pilot who, for all we know, has never had a problem with his PRIMARY job is just ridiculous.

I'm guessing his management felt that shooting a hole through one of their airplanes while flying it constitutes a "...problem with his PRIMARY job..."

Just a guess...

...Your ALPA dues gives you access to services...
Yes, yes, we know..."Access to services which
MIGHT get your case resolved before you retire."

Disclaimer: ALPA will not represent you unless it's a high profile case.

Next!

Guys,

No law enforcement agency or professional can live by the claim that "accidents happen". That is a dangerous state of mind. Proper training is required to avoid accidents. I personally think that the whole program should be a little more expanded to assure safety. Anybody that ACTUALLY knows how to handle guns, avoids accidents at any cost. So, blame it on the pilot and the training standards. Not on the gun or the airline.
I personally do not see FFDOs as heroes. They do it because they like it. For some, is the glamor of the training and the badge, for others just to avoid the ongoing, unhealthy x-ray examination. Nobody that I know does it because of the romantic reasons that ring with patriotism... (some are just cowboys looking for a chance to prove it!)
It is voluntary and not required. I like it a lot, and can't wait for my vacation to come so I can spend it in NM. But I know that I'll be taking a big responsibility and the risk of screwing up.
The airline has the right to fire this guy. I don't think we can question that. The union has the responsibility of defending the guy but not of believing in him. Weapons seldom go off by themselves and I don't think this was the case anyways...
He screwed up and became a huge safety hazard.
He is obviously not ready to have a gun and showed poor decision making which endangered passengers and possibly public on the ground. This is clearly grounds for dismissal. Raise the bar guys, don't lower it to accommodate mediocrity!

Just my 2 cents.

Ready for the firing squad.
:cool:

Imagine if a guy took the fire ax out of it's bulkhead mount and "accidentally" swung it into the side of the airplane, piercing it. Stupid, right?

That's what this guy did. Only with a gun. His actions are an embarrassment to all FFDOs. The fact he got fired for it and not just time off w/o pay and kicked out of the FFDO program make me ashamed to work for USAir.

Don't worry, I'm sure his union will get his job back...oh wait. Never mind.

This is the perfect storm of circumstances. This is a huge problem with the FFDO program. As a police officer I had a union who would fight for my best interests as a police officer who carries a gun. As an FFDO nobody from the GOV is stepping up to back this guy. The company is obviously against the program. The union has its own problem and really it is out of the scope of their charter anyway. The FFDO program is a government program and they should have government representation/laws similar to federal agents, AND NOTHING LESS. Until this happens the program is a danger to the companies (lawsuits), unions (trying to defend a program they have no control over) and the pilots who volunteer (personally vulnerable legally and financially).

Last edited:
looks like the "its all BS, its not his fault, he should not be fired mantra" has died down.

1. A gun does not go off unless dropped with severe force, in such a manner that the bullet is hit perfectly to fire it.

2. Absent the above, the trigger must be pulled to fire a round.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back