• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air firing pilot who's gun discharged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I bet their SOPs do not say they should take their gun off and stow it while on SHORT FINAL. If he was not following the guidelines, then there is nobody to back him. One of my problems with the FFDO program.

I bet their SOPs do not say they should take their gun off and stow it while on SHORT FINAL. If he was not following the guidelines, then there is nobody to back him. One of my problems with the FFDO program.

Good point there...

Your union should run an add in The WSJ about what these guys do and how he was treated.

Yeah, uSAPa will get right on assessing the membership a few hundred bucks a piece so they can afford that.........right after they assess everybody a few hundred bucks so they can afford officer elections. :rolleyes:

If it had been an HP pilot would your opinion be different?

I actually expressed no opinion. I asked a question. If you shoot a hole in a company aircraft, you're going to get to talk to HR. That meeting is where the value of ALPA is, but many assume they'll never find themselves in such a situation. From what I hear, there is pretty strict protocal for handling the weapon in flight and maybe things weren't up to SOPs at the time of the 'incident'. I will, however, call BS that ALPA denied to defend him. I'd like to see proof on that as I doubt it was the case.

If you get sick, hurt or diagnosed, have something going on at home that makes you unfit to fly, get a number from ATC, have a runway incursion, etc etc....there were immediate avenues for help. We're on our own now.

Last edited:
And the Terrorists out there are all saying - Thank You, US Air Management. We truly appreciate how you are discouraging your pilots from participating in the FFDO program...

And the Terrorists out there are all saying - Thank You, US Air Management. We truly appreciate how you are discouraging your pilots from participating in the FFDO program...

Airline management teams have never warmed to the idea of armed pilots. They've always seen it as a liability issue and have assumed they'd be indemnified in the event of another terrorits attack.

I actually expressed no opinion. I asked a question. If you shoot a hole in a company aircraft, you're going to get to talk to HR. That's where the value of ALPA is. I'll call BS that ALPA denied to defend him.

If you get sick, hurt or diagnosed, have something going on at home that makes you unfit to fly, get a number from ATC, have a runway incursion, etc etc....there were immediate avenues for help. We're on our own now.

I completely agree with you. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Good luck with everything by the way.

This pilot was fired days ago while under ALPA. ALPA made the decision to not defend him.

You actually think with ALPA's days numbered that it had no effect on what happened to this guy???

This is only the first of many incedences that will prove what a mistake USAPA was.

Latest resources

Back