• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air 190's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"the F27 had a brief run with mainline in the early 70's, again retired without ever flying regional"

Some of US Air's F-27s went to Suburban and flew as Allegheny Commuter.

Frank controlled several companies, only one of which was CAL. The Texas Air Corporation was a monster company.

On the subject of AWAC, AWAC is considered a National Carrier, most of AWAC's 146's were brought on as new deliveries before AWAC was UAX, others joined the company later in markets where they needed higher capacity. The cap was originally 25 airplanes over 50 seats but the company and UAL allowed the number to dwindle.

LearLove said:
"the F27 had a brief run with mainline in the early 70's, again retired without ever flying regional"

Some of US Air's F-27s went to Suburban and flew as Allegheny Commuter.

Forgot about those, but no mainline pilot was displaced or outsourced by the move. At the time the airline was growing rapidly and it was slipped by the union.

Even then there was quite the battle about letting any flying go outside, but back then the commuters were Beech 99's and the like and nobody ever dreamed of anything called an RJ. That was the first mistake as we have seen.

The problem with the current crop is the inability to learn from the past. 30 years ago our predecessors screwed up and the same mistakes are being made now.

Even recent history (1998-2002) is lost to most of the express pilots, I cannot count how many regional guys think that U MEC wanted Parity +1 and traded RJ's for it......Nothing is farther from the truth. U's MEC fought tooth and nail to keep the RJ out of their paint job...unless it was flown by U pilots. Until 2000 there were only around 20 RJ's flying in USAir colors, and at the time the U MEC was the evil "Dad's" trying to keep Jr.(express) down. Now the same crowd that was pissed off about not getting to fly a shiney jet for peanuts has discovered that they are indeed flying for peanuts and that a shiney jet doesn't mean squat without the QOL and payscale to go with it. Only problem is there are darn few mainlines left that are worth a crap, and even fewer that are hiring......mostly due to the fact that the RJ is flying the routes that the 73's and 9's were running just 5 years ago.

Interesting side note, U's 737 pilots are now flying for what the F-28 pilots did before the RJ infestation. Getting the RJ's back on the mainlines is the only solution, I just do not see how it will ever happen.

Starving RJ pilot is now a career, and well paid mainline pilot is a thing of the past. I can see the CEO's laughing all the way to the bank while the pilots hit the food stamp line.

surfnfly said:
AWA current contract does not allow E-190 or Bombardier C series aircraft at other than mainline. The CRJ900's were allowed in a one time deal and no more of them are allowed either. Some of you regional guys just want bigger and bigger planes only problem the wages suck and that is 1 less mainline job available. If you love the sub standard wages and work rules keep lowering the bar pretty soon taxi drivers will make more than us if they don't already.

My understanding is the AWA contract allows Mesa to fly a certain number of 900's based on total fleet size of AWA, which means it was effectively capped at Mesa's current inventory.

However, AWA just merged, and even though the combinded entity is parking 100 a/c, the new company will have ALOT more jets . . . and therefore, Mesa could fly quite a few more 900s. Just rumors now, but either 18 CRJ 900's will move from PHX east, or an ADDITIONAL 19 900's will be purchased to be flown out east.

For as long as it lasts, anway. I give the merged company 2 years before they're bankrupt again, and 5 before they go bye-bye forever. This is of course the regoinals fault because we fly the planes too cheaply.

OldManPilot said:
WHEN WILL YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL... MANAGMENT MAKES THE CALL ON WHAT EQUIPMENT IS FLOWN...... NOT THE PILOTS!!!

What we need it to find away to stop this stupid name calling and put the blame where it belongs!!!!!!

MAINLINE PILOTS SELLING OUT THEIR FLYING TO THE REGIONALS... can you say that along with me please..... MAINLINE PILOTS SELLING OUT THEIR FLYING TO THE REGIONAL..

That my friends is where the anger should be pointed....

Quit trying to blame mainline guys as an excuse to this downward spiral of our profession. Don't accept anything less than mainline wages to fly an e jet. Most of the regional guys still think it is only a stepping stone to the majors. Gee let me on the 170/190 then I can be more competitive for jetblue. Wake up folks the regionals may be the end of the line for alot of you. Take a stand and demand better wages. DAL did it when they got 777's. The aircraft stayed parked until they got the 300+/hr rate they wanted. If your management wants 170 or larger don't fly them until you get the pay you deserve. Let's try to pull this profession out of the nosedive it's in .

KeroseneSnorter said:
Unfortunatly you are the ones that will suffer an entire career of crap wages because of the RJ. Commuters for crap wages was a stepping stone, Regionals for crap wages is now a career....especially if 190 sized airplanes operate as "RJ's"

Crap wages? Since when did $110K a year become crap wages? That is what a top 146 driver at AWAC is earning.

understanding is the AWA contract allows Mesa to fly a certain number of 900's based on total fleet size of AWA, which means it was effectively capped at Mesa's current inventory.

However, AWA just merged, and even though the combinded entity is parking 100 a/c, the new company will have ALOT more jets . . . and therefore, Mesa could fly quite a few more 900s. Just rumors now, but either 18 CRJ 900's will move from PHX east, or an ADDITIONAL 19 900's will be purchased to be flown out east.

For as long as it lasts, anway. I give the merged company 2 years before they're bankrupt again, and 5 before they go bye-bye forever. This is of course the regoinals fault because we fly the planes too cheaply.

This is true, but as a consequence of the merger, we all will re-enter section 6 negotiations (straight from the MEC). Parker and Mac both want to ensure a positive attitude and the Union is keen on keeping the 170's and 190's in Mainline while not giving anymore 900 flying up. So, get ready. Hopefully this will mean more mainline jobs and not more outsourcing.

<<<<<<<
hoover said:
Crap wages? Since when did $110K a year become crap wages? That is what a top 146 driver at AWAC is earning.
>>>>>

And your prowd of that, it takes you twenty years to get there, thats another thing that the regionals have really gotten bad at, it takes 20 years to top out of the pay scales, a 12 year 146 guy gets $88/hr. Thats pathetic for a 100 seat airplane as a captain. Yeah, I know we get duty rigs,trip rigs, blah blah blah. Our problem has been said before, we are in the mentality that its a regional and that we cant get paid what we should. I know its hard these days with the preditory contracts out there, everyone willing to stab each other in the backs. Thats ALPA national's fault for not being a real union and just being a bunch of lawyers that tell you what not to do instead of pulling us all together.

bl

Latest resources

Back