US Air 190's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NDM said:
As far as the 190's, RP/CHQ/S5 will probably have the orders in by the end of the month- so it will be considered an "existing" a/c order prior to September which would qualify the aircraft to be flown for USAirways/AmericaWest.

I hate to burst any bubbles, but no one but Jetblue is going to taking deliveries of any 190's until two years from Oct. Give EMB a call and ask em. It's part of the deak JB struck with EMB.

NDM said:
Advance it a few years and now it wasn't the turboprop being spun off- it was "regional jets" and ALPA ONCE AGAIN took higher wages in exchange of letting "Mainline" contract out to Regional Airlines. Ask the USAirways guys if they remember the F27, or the BOAC 111, the little Fokker or the 146's. Those aircraft were not taken away from them, they adjusted their scope so those type of aircraft could be flown by contract carriers. They got that in exchange for parity + 1%. It was a darn good exchange at a time when the Majors were growing.

A few corrections:

None of the airplanes you listed ever flew at a regional under USAirs name. The Bac 111 (BOAC was an airline in England) flew with mainline until the 737's came along and retired it, the F27 had a brief run with mainline in the early 70's, again retired without ever flying regional, the 146's were picked up in the PSA merger, retired pretty quick, not flown at the regionals, the f-28 never flew at the regionals, parked shortly after the Piedmont merger, The f-100 stayed in service until the RJ's replaced it after 9-11.

Parity + 1% was opposed by ALPA. They never wanted it, was forced upon them by Wolf in 99 and 2000. During that time Wolf threatened to put the RJ on the mainline if ALPA would not allow him to put them at MESA......ALPA said fine, lets work up a payscale and bring them on.......Wolf did not want that and dropped the threat. Why? Because he knew that Mesa would fly those 70 RJ's for dirt bag wages.

Allegheny did start the problem though in the 70's (With Eastern Airlines)

The only true way to fix the problem is to disallow any flying under another airlines name, and mainline scope alone can no longer do that....it is too far gone, if it is to ever be corrected, both Mainline and Regional pilots will have to work together and refuse to accept anymore "larger" RJ's and refuse to accept substandard wages for the airplanes.

The only way to really fix the problem is to shut down the entire country until everyone who flies a particular paintjob is on one list.......and that will never happen since there are too many pilots willing to work for peanuts.

Last edited:
NDM said:
As far as the 190's, RP/CHQ/S5 will probably have the orders in by the end of the month- so it will be considered an "existing" a/c order prior to September which would qualify the aircraft to be flown for USAirways/AmericaWest.

I believe RAH has actually HAD both firm orders and options for the 190 for some time now... If the airplanes were not needed by RAH when the slot rolled around, the slot could surely be sold to SOMEBODY. (JetBlue?)

As far as NWA and the Avro go....I think there were plans on getting even more of the Avro's but the NWA pilots quickly and rightly went on strike and stopped the bleeding at just 36 aircraft limited to 69 seats. But they are really comfortable 69 seats, especially the first 16 of them.

surfnfly said:
AWA current contract does not allow E-190 or Bombardier C series aircraft at other than mainline. The CRJ900's were allowed in a one time deal and no more of them are allowed either. Some of you regional guys just want bigger and bigger planes only problem the wages suck and that is 1 less mainline job available. If you love the sub standard wages and work rules keep lowering the bar pretty soon taxi drivers will make more than us if they don't already.

WHEN WILL YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL... MANAGMENT MAKES THE CALL ON WHAT EQUIPMENT IS FLOWN...... NOT THE PILOTS!!!

What we need it to find away to stop this stupid name calling and put the blame where it belongs!!!!!!

MAINLINE PILOTS SELLING OUT THEIR FLYING TO THE REGIONALS... can you say that along with me please..... MAINLINE PILOTS SELLING OUT THEIR FLYING TO THE REGIONAL..

surfnfly said:
AWA current contract does not allow E-190 or Bombardier C series aircraft at other than mainline. The CRJ900's were allowed in a one time deal and no more of them are allowed either. Some of you regional guys just want bigger and bigger planes only problem the wages suck and that is 1 less mainline job available. If you love the sub standard wages and work rules keep lowering the bar pretty soon taxi drivers will make more than us if they don't already.

WHEN WILL YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL... MANAGMENT MAKES THE CALL ON WHAT EQUIPMENT IS FLOWN...... NOT THE PILOTS!!!

What we need it to find away to stop this stupid name calling and put the blame where it belongs!!!!!!

MAINLINE PILOTS SELLING OUT THEIR FLYING TO THE REGIONALS... can you say that along with me please..... MAINLINE PILOTS SELLING OUT THEIR FLYING TO THE REGIONAL..

That my friends is where the anger should be pointed....

OldManPilot said:

That my friends is where the anger should be pointed....

My how times have changed, about 4 years ago I was getting blasted by regional guys about my views on the RJ and how they should not be allowed to go to the regionals.............4 years later, after the regional guys are getting hosed and outsourced to other regional guys just like the mainlines were then .........somehow the mainliners are still the bad guys!

USAir 's MEC did try to keep the RJ in check, however they were cussed at by every U express carrier pilot and mgmt. and U was losing a dumptruck load of money every quarter while trying to keep pilots on the property and hold off the outsourcing wave.

U MEC would have flown the RJ for F-28 rates no problem......even still had the scale in the contract at the time, problem is that Mesa and the rest were willing to fly the things for 40k a year for the left seat, so the MEC was fighting a losing battle, especially considering how many RJ's DAL, AA, and United MEC's were allowing to go to the lowest bidder. The result was inevitable.

He was talking about the Nord program. After the Mohawk merger the Nords were ultimately outsourced.

And as for Oldmanpilot... what he's REALLY saying is "If you dont want us to HAVE the E190, don't outsourcing it. Otherwise shut up and let me enjoy my big shiny airplane!"

Kerosene Snorter,

It's kinds useless, you see, nobody really wants to see the past for what it is....and loves to twist things in their favor. As far as I know, your rehash is right on target. And your solution to the whole country being stopped, well that is the solution but we have to get a union first before we can get the solution done. Speaking of unions, I am actually ashamed that about 80% of the new kids I fly with have very little knowledge of the aviation history and where we are today. I have YET, YET to have an f/o under 30 be able to tell me who Frank Lorenzo is. they look at me with a blank stare, and are like...uhmmm...who's he?? Capt. or FO??? help us

Latest resources

Back