UPT to Majors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tycer

Here is the situation: I took a military leave of absense as Captain from a regional for a Guard slot and am currently in UPT. After UPT, IFF and RTU I will be active with my unit for about 18 months before being a traditional guardsman. I have my applications in with SWA and Fedex. I have the type for SWA and did the meet and greet with Jack Lewis (put in the "good pile"). My question is should I keep updating my apps. even though it will be over two years before I am employable. Or should I wait until a few months before I can be employed. Should I give them a call and let them know of my situation or what. What would happen if I was called during this period for an interview? Was hoping that someone might have been in this situation and could offer some guidence. Thanks all. Fly Safe.

well.....first off enjoy UPT, it is a blast....IFF....get through it...Hawg RTU...you would be lucky if that is where you are going. USERRA law prohibits an employer to discriminate from MIL LOA. Whether future or present. Being that you are NOT active duty (title 10) they technically cannot not hire you because you are in pilot training. However they will come up with an excuse as to why you are not called...blah blah blah. You should keep updating your resume, but you aren't going to fly for crap compared to RJ slave driving. Is it really worth an update ever 6 months for 80 hours or so? It will get better when you get done with MQT at your home base. You have bigger issues to worry about than to update your resume. You will now be challenged in aviation. Especially if you get to point the nose at the ground, and stare the enemy in the eye as you unleash 200 rounds of CM 30mm. Good luck and may the guard be with you!

If you are Hawg...which unit(sts)

Update update update--even if you availablity is 2 years away. That way when you are interviewing you can say "see....I've wanted to be here for years..."

Shoot straight with airlines on availablity--playing games won't make any friends.

As always Albie is spot on...update, it doesn't hurt anything but when it calls for availability on the form, make it clear you're not available for the 18-24 months timeframe....they won't call you with an interview but your app is in & as Albie said, you have a story to tell when it comes time for the interview....have a great time at UPT & good luck.

I don't know how far along in UPT you are, but I would suggest you worry more about getting through UPT than applying for various airline jobs. Just a suggestion as I personally found UPT to be rather challenging.

Thanks for the heads ups. To anwser some of the above questions....I am about to track select for the 38's, and have done well on all the checkrides so far. I have had my apps. to the airlines long before I started upt, so I just wanted to cover my bases. I will not be going to Hawg RTU (which would be a blast), but the F-16 at Luke. Once again thanks for all the info.. Fly Safe!

I'm 28 are they lettin guys in the guard slots over 27 anymore?

You must be younger than 30 at the time you enter pilot training..After day one you can turn 30 and your fine...Typically you need at least 2 years lead time for your UPT slot so you should interview and be accepted by your unit of choice by no later than 28.

Good friend of mine interviewed while on active duty. Was offered a job, but still had to finish his military time. Airline said can you start on this date? No? OK, thanks anyway.

I would make sure if you interview you are able to accept a job.

Tycer said:
Thanks for the heads ups. To anwser some of the above questions....I am about to track select for the 38's, and have done well on all the checkrides so far. I have had my apps. to the airlines long before I started upt, so I just wanted to cover my bases. I will not be going to Hawg RTU (which would be a blast), but the F-16 at Luke. Once again thanks for all the info.. Fly Safe!

Congratulations! I'd update the app. PIC time is PIC time. Plus you can add .2/sortie to your mil flights.

Latest resources

Back