UPT Scandal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CCDiscoB

Anyone know what the real story is behing the EPQ scandal? I find it hard to believe the AF is removing 12 students for Flight only (each test different per Flight) weekly quizzes. At least that's how it used to be.
I wonder how this became such an issue. Was it the Flt/CC or the SQ/CC?

I scanned the AF Times, and it looked like an IP was involved with giving them the test answers. In any case, I see the USAF's point, but the USAF needs to realize that they breed this somewhat in the UPT environment. How many times have you heard "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin", or "currencies are just a pencil stroke away", etc... I'd be very surprised if the Wing or squadron leadership at Columbus claimed they never used a "pony" our "gouge" when taking an IRC test, ACSC test, etc... If it's true, great. Otherwise, it's a bit hypocritical. So what is to be done? Spank these guys hard, but reinstate them into UPT. I don't condone their actions, but you shouldn't allow it for decades and the decide all at once to crush a dozen folks.

It all had to do with students showing up with the exact answers to the exact test that they were taking. So I'm told. A whole flight got the boot (minus 2). I think one or two got kicked out of the AF completely. Anyway, it was a big, BIG deal.

You have to be very careful with what type of gouge you get these days. No one even mentions the "g" word anymore.

Huggyu2 said:
I scanned the AF Times, and it looked like an IP was involved with giving them the test answers. In any case, I see the USAF's point, but the USAF needs to realize that they breed this somewhat in the UPT environment. How many times have you heard "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin", or "currencies are just a pencil stroke away", etc... I'd be very surprised if the Wing or squadron leadership at Columbus claimed they never used a "pony" our "gouge" when taking an IRC test, ACSC test, etc... If it's true, great. Otherwise, it's a bit hypocritical. So what is to be done? Spank these guys hard, but reinstate them into UPT. I don't condone their actions, but you shouldn't allow it for decades and the decide all at once to crush a dozen folks.[/QUOTE]

What's really going on here, is some Lt Col trying to get promoted due to a mistake made by a Capt and a few Lt's. The higher ups will applaud the SQ/CC for showing such incredible integrity and holding his people to a higher than high standard. The media in turn will report showing how the AF strictly enforces its integrity rules. Publicity like this is good damage control inlight of other scandals at places like the AF Academey.

Last edited:
I hope they Don't look at the Stan Eval pubs and see all the highlighted sections that happen to correspond to the IRC, and open book tests.

HoursHore said:
I hope they Don't look at the Stan Eval pubs and see all the highlighted sections that happen to correspond to the IRC, and open book tests.

Shack! I forgot about that.

So all the "cooperate and graduate" we did is now BAD? Just one more reason I'm glad I got out.

What's really going on here, is some Lt Col trying to get promoted due to a mistake made by a Capt and a few Lt's. The higher ups will applaud the SQ/CC for showing such incredible integrity and holding his people to a higher than high standard. The media in turn will report showing how the AF strictly enforces its integrity rules. Publicity like this is good damage control inlight of other scandals at places like the AF Academey.

I couldn't agree more. Re-dick-u-lous. I'll never forget when my entire class busted a Tweet EPQ and our USEM pounded on his desk saying, "You are not using all of your resources availible to you!" Fooking Zoomies :D

PUKE

Does anyone here believe that the virtues of honor and integrity are worth striving for? It seems that this discussion topic is slanted toward how unfair it was that a number of UPT students were dismissed.

Consider how you would feel about being operated on by a cardiac surgeon who cheated his way through medical school. Or how you, as a pilot, would react if you learned that your mechanic had falsified a required maintenance sign-off. Or how you, as a passenger, would feel if you knew that your captain had cheated his way through flight school because he was not interested enough to put in the time required to learn the foundations of his profession.

I acknowledge that none of us are perfect, yet there is value in trying to be so. In some professions, or lines of work, the consequences of dishonesty (or incompetence) can be measured in dollars lost (Enron, Worldcom, etc). In other professions, the consequences are literally life and death.

Perhaps the decision maker in the topic of this thread decided that the dismissed individuals were not only lacking in the character traits required of future leaders in positions of great responsibility, but also demonstrated a significant lack of interest in studying to learn the foundations of their future profession.

Is it really so bad that a commander would insist on adherance to a well known standard of integrity? Did any of those dismissed think that what they were doing was the "right" thing to do?

Did any of those dismissed think that what they were doing was the "right" thing to do?

Quite possibly...yes. "as those that have gone before them..."

I don't think anyone in condoning what happened, I just think everyone feels quite a bit of sorrow for the individuals. I remember how much UPT meant to me, how difficult it was, the friends I made. All of it has been shoved down the toilet for a stupid move on their part.

As far as the CC - I have always had a problem with those "after a star". I don't know the details...but the whole class (except 2)??? When I was at UPT a lass was busted for the same thing - there was a test revolution, new EPQ's, new ROE, but nobody was kicked out. Disciplined, but not kicked out. Like I said, don't know the details, but sometimes I wonder...

PUKE

Latest resources

Back