Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They have it right

Slick,

I heard within a week but like Lake and RVR said, I was told to call after 4 weeks if I hadn't heard. I received it via US mail and thinking it was like my current employer that sent good letters via FedEx and bad ones via USPS I almost crapped a brick. I too will be in the 18 Aug class. I look foward to meeting you guys. I know it wiill be great. I was told by Buzz Thompson that we will be wearing coat and tie every day except Friday which is business casual. My friend said not so...tie but no jacket. What do you guys know? Also they are asking me which domicile (Ontario or SDF) I want. Seems a little bit early since i don't know what kind of schedules they have. I'd prefer a week on and one off or 2 on and 2 off. Any insights?

Rockin,

when did you interview? Just wondering how long you were in the pool.....oh, I interviewed on a Monday, no new hires in class had coats, just slacks, shirts and ties....

Rockin'Rican said:
Also they are asking me which domicile (Ontario or SDF) I want. Seems a little bit early since i don't know what kind of schedules they have. I'd prefer a week on and one off or 2 on and 2 off. Any insights?
You want week on/week off? So does everyone. I don't want to burst your bubble, but that is not going to happen in any domicile on any fleet as a new guy!

ONT is awesome if you're senior or live in domicile. It is a horrible place for a junior commuter. Crashpads are practically non-existent. Lots of lines work 5 nights/week 3 weeks/mo. Same is true for SDF 757 and A300. Reserve goes senior for FO's in ONT -- not sure about SDF.

If you have the option, go to SDFZ (75 Intl). If you want a clean line (2 weeks on 2 weeks off), this is the way to go. Your life will be so much better, especially if you plan to commute.

Clean lines for commuting in SDF domestic or ONT are pretty rare and would be senior. I'm the number 5 F/O in ONT. I do all day flying, which is great, but the lines are never clean week on, week off. The only two on, two off, would be international in the Z or be very senior in ONT. I think it's safe to say that there is NO two on, two off, domestic. Anything good for commuting in ONT that even a somewhat junior guy could hold is going to be some serious, multi-leg, all night, ball busters that shouldn't even be legal.

SDF has a lot more flying to choose from. ONT is a small base and pretty senior, in general. Unless you really want to live near ONT, I'd stay away.

On the last bid package I thought the A300 lines were the cleanest. The A300 is taking over some of the fairly easy, old 727 flying. The 757, in all domicles, seems to work harder.

Rockin'Rican said:
Slick,

I heard within a week but like Lake and RVR said, I was told to call after 4 weeks if I hadn't heard. I received it via US mail and thinking it was like my current employer that sent good letters via FedEx and bad ones via USPS I almost crapped a brick. I too will be in the 18 Aug class. I look foward to meeting you guys. I know it wiill be great. I was told by Buzz Thompson that we will be wearing coat and tie every day except Friday which is business casual. My friend said not so...tie but no jacket. What do you guys know? Also they are asking me which domicile (Ontario or SDF) I want. Seems a little bit early since i don't know what kind of schedules they have. I'd prefer a week on and one off or 2 on and 2 off. Any insights?

Rican,
I also was told tie but coat was optional. PLEASE take ONT. I was called and told basically that I am the youngest in class and would get what ever is left for base choices. As of now looks like ONT. I am from out west but live in the east now. Due to first year pay not quite ready to go back to Cali.

See Ya on the 18th.
LL

Last edited:
Whatever you take you are locked in for 1 year before you can bid something else, even on the same airlplane. Right now there are a bunch of newhires on the 757 in SDF that would love to have ONT but can't bid it do to that restriction.

Stan,
What about base trades? Can Pilots switch on their own or is a system bid required?
Thanks
LL

lakelivin said:
Stan,
What about base trades? Can Pilots switch on their own or is a system bid required?
Thanks
LL

A system bid is required to change bases. This only is a problem on the 757 because it is the only fleet with multiple domiciles.

What is so different about the MIA base flying?? I hear that all the time but nobody says why?

Just a poolie splashing around wasting time.
LLB

Chog, I interviewed on May 9th (Monday), was told I was in the pool about a week later. Got the call for my medical about May 15th, got the medical on May 28th and Buzz Thompson called a day later.

727 thanks for the insight.

Latest resources

Back