UPS Words

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UPS Background Checks

Just thought I'd throw something out for any poolies following this thread.

I got the call for my contingent offer (basically to schedule the physical) last week. During that call it was emphasized to me that the offer was contingent and "this is not the time to give notice to your current employer." I have followed that advice, but today I got a call from my boss telling me he had gotten a request for my flight records. It's not a big deal because I had already given him unofficial notice that I may be leaving, but I was a little surprised. I knew UPS would be requesting flight records from my employer, I just wasn't sure when. Based on my experience, once you get the call for the physical, it's time to clue in your current employer if you want them to hear the news from you first.

OK

p.s. I don't know how they determine who gets the "Moon River treatment" at the physical, but I'm over 35 and I escaped without being invaded.

I also was told tie but coat was optional.
Make sure you guys ware a suit the first day, that's the day they take pictures for ID's and website. Congrats to you all. Welcome aboard! :)

We're in week 2 and everyone is still wearing at least a sportcoat and tie. We take them off during the day. I was told that this was expected, except for Fri, which is biz casual.

LL,

I was told that I was #7 but i cant say that I am going to be any help in your Cali avoidance quest. That is like a nightmare to me. I dont know any specifics on the diff between SDF domestic and Z so i guess either of those is fine with me.

Tailwinds

Jetlaggy
Thanks anyways, I am wishing for a small miracle. Things could be much worse. I am just stoked to be going to the 756. See on the 18th.

Jetlaggy said:
I dont know any specifics on the diff between SDF domestic and Z so i guess either of those is fine with me.

Huge difference between the two, especially for the junior guy. SDF domestic has many lines that work 3 weeks/month. Lots of night flying coupled with short layovers. As an added bonus for being junior, you can expect to fly multiple leg, cross-country death marches fairly regularly.

Lines are much cleaner in Z. Most flying and reserve lines are 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. Much more day flying and 24 hr layovers are common. Although you won't totally avoid sitting the sort, it won't be a regular part of your life like it would domestically. It is pretty easy to turn 2 weeks of vacation into 6 weeks off or more -- something that will never happen domestically unless you are very senior. Also, the intl override and per diem makes a huge difference in pay that first year.

Everyone is talking about this airplane and that airplane. The important thing is to get in the door, through the training, and over the hump of first year probation. Everything else is mute. Some guys and gals were sitting on the panel for 3 years before they upgraded (those hired shortly after 9/11). Sure they were mad, but they realize now that it was worth the wait.

Also, it must be made very clear that you may have a schedule one month and that will all change the following month. The word is, that a system bid is coming out mid to late August. Those folks who were hired starting Nov. '04 through the next few classes thereafter will be released to upgrade. This involves about 75 upgrades or so. Bottom line is that any new hire that has a line now will lose that for quite some time. For anyone coming on the property since about April or May will sit reserve for a while. Remember pending our contract, there are about 140 engineers looking to move.

From looking at the bid packages and the open time created because of a lack of manning, the Z domicile is the absolute best. Reserve pilots will tend to get more trips than any other fleet. The MD-11 has two trips over the next weeks open, the 75 has a few, the Bus has a few and the 8 has a few, but the Z has about 15 and there aren't enough guys to bid this in open time so it goes to the reserve people.

Bottom line......the question of lifestyle is relative. If you live in the ville, reserve is great, if you don't, it isn't. If you think that planning ahead for the best lifestyle is good, then realize that by the time you can permanently hold a line, you will have done your fair share of reserve. Finally ONT and MIA are very senior and people don't leave there if they can avoid it.

Food for thought!

Last bid, there were roughly 45 reserve lines. One third go to guys senior, the other two thirds go to the bottom bunch. Right now, they have hired about 8 on the Z side, so you can do the math. However!!!!!!!!!! The reason there are so many trips in open time is because the z side is severly understaffed. They need at least another 30 Captains and 50 FO's/RO's to make things run smoother. My numbers are probably off, but you get the rough idea. Sorry, but it is impossible to determine how ling before you can hold a line. Depends entirely on how many go to the left seat.

Latest resources

Back