• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ups Vs Swa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was hired at both and chose UPS. My reasoning was that UPS has much better benefits, compensation, variety of flying, and operates in a much more secure industry than SWA. My number one reaon though was quality of life. If you are willing to live in Louisville, you can't beat the QOL that bidding reserve gives you. Even on the short staffed fleets, reserves are usually only working 13 days a month max. Many guys have enjoyed working less than 7 days a month for the last 10 years.

Night flying does suck but it's not as bad as some people on these boards who have never done it make it sound. SWA guys work a lot harder and fly more than we do, but it's generally during the "normal" part of the day. I would not choose SWA for that reason alone though. Also, keep in mind more and more of our flying is international.

Last edited:
Don't overlook the obvious......

Flying at night sucks.
Just did a week of day flying with another couple trips scheduled later this month. Having done both, DAY FLYING SUCKS~! 2+ hour ground stops butting up to max duty day, holding for over an hour, etc etc. Besides considering how much of our flying is international what is night? Europe night flying is the same as afternoon flying in the states (body clock wise).

Hi!

SWA is a PAX airline with lots of competition, so your chances of a furlough, bankruptcy, merger, or Chapter 7 liquidation is much higher.

With UPS you mostly just have to worry about getting laid off by a computer (UPS UAV aircraft).

Unless you REALLY want to fly PAX, get travel benefits for your family, or live in a SWA base without a commute, UPS is much better financially.

Flying at night? In many ways, it's a lot easier.

Not much traffic so you can get direct everywhere and not have to worry about VOR navigation and/or programming your GPS/FMS wrong. Uncontrolled fields have much less traffic, so less chance of getting killed by GA idiots. Airports are easier to spot at night, especially the little ones (as long as the lights work!!!). You're not going to jacked all over the place by approach/departure because of the less traffic. If you fly to Mexico or some other mountainous location, it's less scary because it's all black and you can't see the moutains. There's no big blinding round thing shining in your cockpit (unless you're on NVGs with a full moon).

Good luck!

cliff
LRD

UPS, no brainer.

I jumpsat on SWA last month and the crew was on leg number 4 of 6 that day. It took them 6 legs to fly from BWI to the west coast!

That multiple day stuff is not for me, they can have it. Give me one leg to the bar in some foreign land.

How's Shanghai? Give me a call again. Your number came up unknown instead of the normal skype 000-123-4567.

If you were offered both SWA and UPS , groundschool starting same day, which would you take??
Only your "friend" can answer that. There are a lot of things to consider. For example;

1) Domicile-Living in yours improves QOL considerably.

2) Day vs night flying-working "normal" hours improves QOL on your off days as well.

3) Work enviornment-If your "friend" is a people-person and enjoys frequent contact with the public, he'd probably be happier at SW. If he's more of a loner-type and enjoys relative solitude, air frieght will be more to his liking.

4) Future growth-The last 10 years have seen explosive growth in air freight, and shrinking margins for pax carriers. True, UPS made good money during that time, but so did their competitors. As that business matures, growth will slow. Something to consider is that Southwest was making money when their competitors weren't.

4) Corporate culture-This is often overlooked when choosing an employer. How does the company feel about their employees? Do they like them, and truly see them as assets, responsible for the success of the company? Or do they follow them around with stopwatches and rulebooks, looking for violations? The relationship between UPS and it's pilots has always been rather contentious, while that of SW and theirs seems almost paternal. Does your friend want to spend the next 30 years in an armed standoff with his bosses, or working with them towards building a better organization?

No matter which company he chooses, there's at leats a 50/50 chance that in ten years, he'll wish he'd chosen the other one.

Latest resources

Back