• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ups Vs Swa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
3) Work enviornment-If your "friend" is a people-person and enjoys frequent contact with the public, he'd probably be happier at SW. If he's more of a loner-type and enjoys relative solitude, air frieght will be more to his liking.

Are you serious? Loner-type? Solitude? Boy are your perceptions warped. No loners here. Maybe some solitude in $4billion profit a year but definately no loners.

Are you serious? Loner-type? Solitude? Boy are your perceptions warped. No loners here. Maybe some solitude in $4billion profit a year but definately no loners.
Yea, I'm serious. I didn't say that freight pilots were "loners" in a clinical sense, only that they tend to be people who don't need constant interaction with a lot of other people to be happy at their jobs. I'm surprised that you weren't asked about your feelings about working "away from the public eye" at your UPS interview...I know I was.

Flying pax involves a fair amount of contact with the public. Flying boxes involves a fair amount of contact with...boxes. I've done both, and prefer boxes, but I have friends who feel just the opposite. One isn't "better" than the other, just a little different, that's all.

What UPS the company makes each year doesn't necessarily translate into what UPS pilots make. There's no question that it's a very solid company, but so is SWA.

As I see it, especially in the first 6 years, the SWA pilot will work a little harder, fly more legs, and have more interaction with what's behind the cockpit door than the UPS pilot. In exchange for that, he'll do a lot more of his flying on the "front side of the clock" and probably make a little more money in the process.

It's really about preference, that's all.

Yea, I'm serious. I didn't say that freight pilots were "loners" in a clinical sense, only that they tend to be people who don't need constant interaction with a lot of other people to be happy at their jobs. I'm surprised that you weren't asked about your feelings about working "away from the public eye" at your UPS interview...I know I was.

Flying pax involves a fair amount of contact with the public. Flying boxes involves a fair amount of contact with...boxes. I've done both, and prefer boxes, but I have friends who feel just the opposite. One isn't "better" than the other, just a little different, that's all.

What UPS the company makes each year doesn't necessarily translate into what UPS pilots make. There's no question that it's a very solid company, but so is SWA.

As I see it, especially in the first 6 years, the SWA pilot will work a little harder, fly more legs, and have more interaction with what's behind the cockpit door than the UPS pilot. In exchange for that, he'll do a lot more of his flying on the "front side of the clock" and probably make a little more money in the process.

It's really about preference, that's all.

Under the old contract maybe. Under the new contract not even close.

Does your friend want to spend the next 30 years in an armed standoff with his bosses, or working with them towards building a better organization?

Oh the drama! Crap! I need to get the body armor on for my next trip in case I have a standoff with my boss. I AM going through SDF after all.

An "armed standoff"? UPS isn't all peaches and cream but that's a little too dramatic.

Oh the drama! Crap! I need to get the body armor on for my next trip in case I have a standoff with my boss. I AM going through SDF after all.

An "armed standoff"? UPS isn't all peaches and cream but that's a little too dramatic.

Shut up Loner, I'm looking for solitude.;)

3) Work enviornment-If your "friend" is a people-person and enjoys frequent contact with the public, he'd probably be happier at SW. If he's more of a loner-type and enjoys relative solitude, air frieght will be more to his liking.

LOL! That is one of the funniest things I've read. :laugh:

If by "people-person" you mean the quality daily interaction a SWA pilot has with the local TSA rent-a-cop sniffing his morning breath in hopes of catching another Smirnoff chugger... well then I agree.

With the possible exception of his contact with the Big Mac order taker or the thrilling conversation with Bubba the Cessna know-it-all on his walk through the terminal, the SWA guy and the loner freight psycho have about the same human interaction on the job. Hint: there's a big metal door they now close during flight. :p

BBB

BBB,

Good points. Calling UPS pilots 'loner-types' is like us saying that Whistling Dan flies passengers around to boost his fragile ego. I bet he loves walking through the terminal in his uniform. 'Look at me, I'm a pilot!'

LOL! That is one of the funniest things I've read. :laugh:

If by "people-person" you mean the quality daily interaction a SWA pilot has with the local TSA rent-a-cop sniffing his morning breath in hopes of catching another Smirnoff chugger... well then I agree.

With the possible exception of his contact with the Big Mac order taker or the thrilling conversation with Bubba the Cessna know-it-all on his walk through the terminal, the SWA guy and the loner freight psycho have about the same human interaction on the job. Hint: there's a big metal door they now close during flight. :p

BBB

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's some funny shiite right there!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back