• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ups Vs Swa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While the "loner" thing is a bit untrue I agree alot with WD. Current issues with UPS requiring reserves to check if they have be preassigned trips, writing up reserves because crew scheduling couldn't contact them on layovers. Jumpseat booking, etc, all lead to a somewhat unfriendly labor issues.

While the "loner" thing is a bit untrue I agree alot with WD. Current issues with UPS requiring reserves to check if they have be preassigned trips, writing up reserves because crew scheduling couldn't contact them on layovers. Jumpseat booking, etc, all lead to a somewhat unfriendly labor issues.

Working 4.3 days/mo (on avg) for more than 10 years on reserve... I'll happily take an occasional unpleasant phone call and call it even. :D

Hint: "Gee... I wish you had called me just a little sooner... before I had that BEER with lunch... cause I would have loved to rush out to the airport (on min notice) in order to rescue whatever screw up you no doubt created".

PS... I feel sorry for the non-drinkers! :p

BBB

BBB I to feel sorry for the non drinkers :)

Playing devils advocate perhaps with the interpretation of no set schedule, the beer perhaps would also be a contract violation as it would make one unavailable for reassignment. The checking for preassignments while on reserve would apply for all reserve days not just the 4.3 you have averaged.

My point being these positions are not labor friendly ones. perhaps our friend looking to decide on his/her future would also like to be aware of them along with all the good that seems to come with a job flying freight for ups.

BBB I to feel sorry for the non drinkers :)

Playing devils advocate perhaps with the interpretation of no set schedule, the beer perhaps would also be a contract violation as it would make one unavailable for reassignment. The checking for preassignments while on reserve would apply for all reserve days not just the 4.3 you have averaged.

My point being these positions are not labor friendly ones. perhaps our friend looking to decide on his/her future would also like to be aware of them along with all the good that seems to come with a job flying freight for ups.

Though I defer to my esteemed colleague's opinion on this matter... I cannot imagine it prevailing in arbitration. As a reserve... once launched on a trip to fill in for a sick crewmember, I cannot imagine any court deciding you have to remain "contactable" during your entire crew rest. If they want that flexibility, then they can jolly well pay for it in the form of a "hotel hot"!

Then again... I can afford to be somewhat flippant as reserve is something I choose... not something I am forced to bid.

YMMV,

BBB

UPS, no brainer.

I jumpsat on SWA last month and the crew was on leg number 4 of 6 that day. It took them 6 legs to fly from BWI to the west coast!

That multiple day stuff is not for me, they can have it. Give me one leg to the bar in some foreign land.
One trip to the Pac Rim and your Mr Foreign Land man. When do you get back?

i guess ups is hiring the loner types from loner airlines.

you can call me a loner or whatever really 'cause i'm gett'n paid.

Latest resources

Back