UPS to FURLOUGH!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A few facts about UPS...

UPS doesn't give pilots, or other employees, discounts on shipping....however, I heard a rumor we could get discounts on Fedex...

If you want to recieve your bid package at home, you have to pay UPS to send it to you. They will payroll deduct it, though, very convenient.

While we are furloughing union line pilots, we continue to hire non-union management pilots who make a lot more money.

UPS and the IPA are in contract negotiations....

While I agree with almost nothing Publisher has to say....I'm glad he pointed out the following:

"When you work for UPS, or FEDEX, or ABX, you are not working for an "airline". One of the problems in labor relations between pilots and management is exactly that failure to recognize that simple point."

This fact is not lost on the UPS pilot group. While many airline pilot contracts are being raped and pillaged at money losing companies, the freight business is still in the black. Our pilot group does not work for a company that is in, or near, bankruptcy, and we hope to make significant gains on our next contract.

Some IPA pilots feel our timing is bad to be working on a new contract during this slump in the airline business. I think we need to seperate ourselves from the pack and remember that we are NOT an airline, but a profitable package delivery company.

FedEx is not an airline? Maybe you should trade in your ATP for a class A. I will not even think about sending anything with Brown.

Whether UPS or Fedex is an airline or not I will not argue, but there is 1 difference between an UAL, AA, or Delta and Fedex and that is the fact that there are only 4200 unionized workers at Fedex vs 160,000 that aren't.

Capt Ted Stryker,

Are you going to be one of these 100? I hope not. I really hate to hear this bad news for anyone but especially considering why it is happening.

Obviously being able to claim that they HAD never furloughed a pilot was not that important. I wonder what the overall cost savings for them will be considering a probable short furlough and much increased animosity from some employees. I can imagine that there are quite a bit of management folks that are also upset about this news. You have got to wonder where this order came from... accountants, senior folks?

Good luck

Re: A few facts about UPS...

de727ups said:

While we are furloughing union line pilots, we continue to hire non-union management pilots who make a lot more money.

Where are these management pilots coming from? Are they actually flying?

UPS Fourlough

Talk about increased training costs. They are already pusing people back to the 3rd seat in many fleets. I love this article. Enjoy!

ups.jpg

Re: UPS Fourlough

KingAirGuy said:
Talk about increased training costs. They are already pusing people back to the 3rd seat in many fleets. I love this article. Enjoy!

ups.jpg

whata bunch of $hit!

Publishers,

As a matter of fact, FedEx is an airline, always has been, except that we haul boxes rather than people. And oh, by the way, 100% of the packages delivered on FedEx Express touch an airplane. If you do some research and look at the origins of the company, you'll see that. In recent years FedEx has expanded into a "full service" company by acquiring more and more trucks for many different uses, including the newly launched FedEx Ground service. About 2 years ago "FedEx" or Federal Express Corporation split its operations into what you see today in FedEx Express, FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Custom Critical and FedEx Trade Networks. Different companies under FedEx Corporation that "operate independently, compete collectively." FedEx Express IS FedEx Corporation's airline. Even though we compete with UPS in many markets, we are not the exact same type of companies. FedEx' origins are in airplanes in the 1970s, UPS' in trucks in the early 1900s. FedEx is an airline with trucks, UPS is a trucking company with airplanes. UPS' "airline" is an extremely important and necessary piece of the pie, and UPS wouldn't be where they are today without it. Please, do some more research on both companies, then come back to me with your wisdom.

In any case, we all, especially at FedEx completely support our brethren and see this as a BS move that will make the pilot group stronger.

Last edited:
Airline employee numbers

EDIT: F18-FDX, I see that you edited your post as I was posting the reply below. I have removed what you said but left the employment statistics intact because I still feel they may be of general interest.

The latest DOT statistics concerning systemwide employees are for YE2001. Granted, that data is now almost 14 months old, but if anything the following "total" values are now lower. This data is just for the DOT's "major" classification of 121 carriers. I also have data for the nationals, etc.

Format: Full time/Part time/Total:

Alaska: 9,179 1,336 10,515
America West: 9,677 2,504 12,181
American: 77,692 13,384 91,076
American Eagle: 7,859 1,179 9,038
American Trans Air: 6,208 759 6,967
Continental: 31,695 7,766 39,461
Delta: 62,401 11,702 74,103
DHL: 8,705 1,929 10,634
Federal Express: 93,710 47,318 141,028
Northwest: 43,913 1,788 45,701
Southwest: 31,945 729 32,674
Trans World: 12,717 554 13,271
United: 77,465 6,648 84,113
United Parcel: (no data)
USAIR: 33,820 3,275 37,095

Total Majors: 506,986 100,871 607,857

Last edited:
Your numbers are definitely of general interest, obviously more detailed. But I realized the point I wanted to make was really moot, the number of union vs. non-union workers has no impact on how the basic company operates, in this case FedEx Express. Thanks for a good comparison.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back