UPS to FURLOUGH!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pegasus

I admire your desire to not use UPS. But be careful when you say "never".

There are just too many companies that treat their employees like [email protected] would be difficult to boycott all of them.

I remember when America West fired about 400 of their 500 mechanics about 10 years ago, right before Christmas. They were going to farm out all that work to contractors. I swore I'd never fly them again, but I did. I used them to commute for several years. But, I guess they got what was coming to them. The FAA fined them something like $1,000,000 for poor maintenance practices.

Same kind of cr@p at Verizon, IBM, Pepsi, Nike, etc....

Stay the course and don't give in like I did.

GP

Good points Guppy...

While I too admire the intent, it is darned near impossible to boycott every company that dumps on its employees. Case in point, the clothing industry! A total boycott, and we wouldn't be buying clothes anymore.

When I worked in Saipan (a US territory in the western Pacific) I lived across the street from a garment factory. They employed immigrant Chinese workers for about $1.25 a day to make name-brand clothes. Stuff that would show up on racks in big department stores in the U.S. Names like Liz Claiborne (sp?), Levi's, Tommy Pullmyfinger, Gap, and other popular brands. (Okay so perhaps I embellished on the daily wage.) Nevertheless, they could legally slap a "Made in the USA" label on it because, technically, Saipan is a US territory. That was back in 1996, and apparently, someone in a position of power wised up to the "Made in the USA" labels. Those tags now read, "Made in the Northern Mariana Islands." And maybe now the Chinese workers make $2.00 a day??

The same thing was done at Airborne Express; we have been in negotiations for just under 2 years. Furlough has become a standard industry tactic.

Take something you have away and then make them negotiate to get it back. It divides and distracts.

The UPS union was smart in that it called for the open time ban before entering status quo (technically mgt fuc7ed up by threatening it too early). We can't use an open ban at ABX b/c our union didn't have the balls to do something when they had the chance...now it's too late.

The good news is UPS is making speedy progress on their negotiations and Management knows the sting of a strike, which is why they have not stalled more. Hopefully, you will have a deal in the next 12 months. It will also be good for ABX pilots. UPS is going big on this contract and though we will never be paid at parity w/ FDX or UPS it will put tremendous upward pressure on the cost of services for [cargo] pilots, which is counter to the current concessionary trend in the pax world. The key difference is the freight dogs are making money and the pax side is bleeding money. The bright side is cargo led the recession by 1 to 3 quarters (versus the stock market, the economy, and the pax carriers) so hopefully you will recover 1-4 quarters behind us too.

But do not be deceived, your [pax] CEOs are taking advantage of the 9/11 situation to $crew you on the contracts they agreed to. in 36 months, the unions will realize they are getting shafted.

GoABX said:
But do not be deceived, your [pax] CEOs are taking advantage of the 9/11 situation to $crew you on the contracts they agreed to. in 36 months, the unions will realize they are getting shafted.

This is very true... and very sad.

Re: probl;em

Publishers said:
The problem is that these pencil necked jerks do not know how to run an airline.

I have some news folks--- this is not an airline. This is a package delivery company that happens to fly some aircraft. 80% of what they do never even sees an aircraft.

Ah yes..the Publisher espousing his predictable and ever present "but, it's not management's fault" excuse.

Actually, I figured it would show up first on emigma's post "Spirit Furloughs". He must have missed that one.

furlough hire date

The way things sit now. The date of the last of the 100, if nothing changes will be 5/10/01. Only the last two of that class.\
If nothing else changes

Re: not a rumour

nightrider said:
Unfortunately it is not a rumor, they released the furlough bid today... and it is 19 to start, 20 more in april and possibly 61 in September

Sorry to hear this gents ... this really took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting this from UPS or any of the other package delivery firms. :mad:

Latest resources

Back