Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Re: not a rumour

750driver said:
Sorry to hear this gents ... this really took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting this from UPS or any of the other package delivery firms. :mad:

I'm sorry to hear it too. I thought (rightfully so) that business was booming. I took my little UPS bound package to the US post office today. Ziggy1

This is nothing more than posturing by the company during our ongoing contract talks. No pilot on the property believes it's because of UPS's bleak economic woes (sarcasm)!:eek:

The only thing the company has accomplished with this anouncement is to unify the pilot group even more than before. We'll take care of our own as we have always done in the past!

I got turned out on my last hours of CA reserve in Phl to
do SVT sim support with min rest. The scheduler said
he has no choice since they are critically short of 727 FEs,
yet they are furloughing 19 next month. As UPS Capt
said, it appears to be bad faith posturing by the company.

Just a quick thanks to guys like UPS Capt for all the support
we 100 bottom dwellers are getting from our brothers.
The IPA is truly a great group of people. For those of you
who plan to be here in the near future, we're preparing
for a good fight that will benefit you as well as us.

UPSFO said:
I got turned out on my last hours of CA reserve in Phl to
do SVT sim support with min rest. The scheduler said
he has no choice since they are critically short of 727 FEs,
yet they are furloughing 19 next month. As UPS Capt
said, it appears to be bad faith posturing by the company.

Just a quick thanks to guys like UPS Capt for all the support
we 100 bottom dwellers are getting from our brothers.
The IPA is truly a great group of people. For those of you
who plan to be here in the near future, we're preparing
for a good fight that will benefit you as well as us.

I think that every UPS pilot should fly their schedule and not an hour more.... no overtime and that should be an "unwritten" rule!

V70T5 said:
I think that every UPS pilot should fly their schedule and not an hour more.... no overtime and that should be an "unwritten" rule!

Technically there is not need for overtime since they seem to have enough pilots to meet their needs. A pat answer to an overtime request should be bring back a furloughee. Fly safe! ziggy1

Ziggy1 said:
Technically there is not need for overtime since they seem to have enough pilots to meet their needs. A pat answer to an overtime request should be bring back a furloughee. Fly safe! ziggy1

Yes.. True..
:eek:

pro anything

I am trying to figure out where my comments support management.

I was merely pointing out that UAL is in the business of an airline, and, UPS is in the business of moving packages, for the most part by means other than aircraft.

UPS has historically shown that it does know how to manage and it's financial performance ranks miles ahead of any of the so called "airlines". Any airline would kill to have their historical performance.

When you work for UPS, or FEDEX, or ABX, you are not working for an "airline". One of the problems in labor relations between pilots and management is exactly that failure to recognize that simple point. Pilots represent what portion of UPS employees?

If nothing else, it should be apparent that the customer--you know that person I am always talking about paying the bills and wages-- care not one lick if his package or freight ever sees an aircraft or not. He does not care about the experience level of the crew, the comfort of the seats, he does not care period.

That means this is a different animal.

Re: pro anything

Publishers said:

If nothing else, it should be apparent that the customer--you know that person I am always talking about paying the bills and wages-- care not one lick if his package or freight ever sees an aircraft or not. He does not care about the experience level of the crew, the comfort of the seats, he does not care period.

That means this is a different animal.

Hmmm. Your statement is true if the customer doesn't care when his package gets there. But if that was the case, he'd take it to the post office and walk away. If he wants it there overnight or 2 day, it is going to go on at least two airplanes, and he's going to get a tracking number to make sure it gets there. He cares very much if he paid $20 to send a document overnight, and finds out it got put on a truck because the pilots have walked. The margins on their overnight business are much higher than the ground business.

Last edited:
Publisher, I'm not sure UPS isn't an Airline.. sure it's more than Airplanes, it's major presence is in Trucking, however, Airborne and Fedex are far more weighted in aircraft than trucking, though Fedex is now going after the trucking market, but they have a long road ahead of them before they achieve the presence of UPS in parcel, and Swift in short-haul freight..

That said, if UPS operates an airline in support of it's trucking business, it still operates "an airline"... and as such, it's treatment of these pilots is going to do little to get the union to see them as good faith bargainers..:eek:

Latest resources

Back