Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NoKoolAid

Here's the deal:

Current FedEx pilot, 6+ years seniority, ALPA committee member. Hometown is Louisville, tired of pounding it out on the road with FDX and working for Fred, looking for more stability at home, etc. Position requires relocation to SDF.

Recently interviewed for UPS mgmt pilot position. This is a 3-phase process and I completed phase one. Waiting for the results. I've networked extensively with line and mgmt pilots to gain a better understanding of the job profile and expectations. Mixed results and opinions to cover the entire spectrum. Pros and Cons on both sides.

I'm very fortunate to even be in the position to have a choice (if offered the job), given the current state of the industry. Requesting professional responses.

Thanks for your time.
user_online.gif

NoKoolAid said:
Here's the deal:

Current FedEx pilot, 6+ years seniority, ALPA committee member. Hometown is Louisville, tired of pounding it out on the road with FDX and working for Fred, looking for more stability at home, etc. Position requires relocation to SDF.

Recently interviewed for UPS mgmt pilot position. This is a 3-phase process and I completed phase one. Waiting for the results. I've networked extensively with line and mgmt pilots to gain a better understanding of the job profile and expectations. Mixed results and opinions to cover the entire spectrum. Pros and Cons on both sides.

I'm very fortunate to even be in the position to have a choice (if offered the job), given the current state of the industry. Requesting professional responses.

Thanks for your time.
user_online.gif

This post has got to be a joke. No one in their right mind would consider a mgmt position w/ UPS. Think of the worst part of the military and amplify it a hundred fold. No say over where you/your family are assigned (that's right ... you won't be in SDF for long and you won't have any say in the matter), no authority, speak the truth and try to change things = you're fired. If you've "networked extensively with line and mgmt" pilots and you are still confused, you're probably a good candidate for mgmt ... they hire lots of Jerry's kids. Oh, are you a SCAB? Darn near a prerequisite to be hired into UPS mgmt. Are you beginning to sense a trend? BTW, I'm one of the pilots with a better impression of our mgmt pilots ... and still feel this way. Are you prepared to spend the rest of your working life in a depressed, hostile environment? If so, welcome aboard ... just in time for the strike!

Ok, I'm not taking into consideration the possibility of a true need to be in Louisville, like a sick family member, etc...

This story has the potential to be one of those that is told around the hub for years and years:

Poor John(or Jane), had 6 years with the company, could have held captain or decent f/o lines, getting paid the big bucks, growing the vacation year by year...then he/she took a job at Big Brown just as it was getting ugly during their last round of negotiations and now look at him. Fill in any possible bad outcome here. It just doesn't seem worth the risk...again, I don't know any special personal issues going on.

Didn't you guys have a captain leave for American in Aug '01? Don't be the next 'that guy.'

Maybe just call in sick a little more often or drop trips(if they let ya). But the first thing I would do is change your profile to be a little more anonymous...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...can't be too many of those in Memphis.

Good luck!

Last edited:
in my opinion, your age would play a role in deciding what is best for you. my take on the mgmt position is 10-12 years max. at fdx, if you are a junior capt now, your best years are yet to come. if you are a fairly senior f/o you should be working about 11-13 days per month. the mgmt thing is more like a mon thru fri thing, so more days than a line pilot will ever work. easier, but more days.

BBB. FNG, and Cheater,

Thanks for not holding back! Comments are appreciated.

However, BBB, the scab reference is BS. I'm not a scab -- never have been and never will be.

NoKoolAid said:
However, BBB, the scab reference is BS. I'm not a scab -- never have been and never will be.

Let's see ... you've never worked for UPS ... and you're saying that my reference to UPS knowingly hiring SCABS into mgmt pilot positions is BS? LOL! I could name a half dozen mgmt pilot SCABS off the top of my head and those names are easily verified online against ALPA's list. Still think I'm full of BS?

No where did I accuse you of BEING a SCAB. I merely said that IF you are, you will find yourself in good company in the UPS mgmt pilot ranks. Your READY, FIRE, AIM style will fit right in at UPS should you choose that path.

Like I said ... your post sounds like flamebait. In the off chance you are actually sincere, you might want to consider why UPS is forced into hiring mgmt pilots off the street ... given that we have nearly 3000 line pilots ... all with experience dealing with UPS mgmt ... and all 3000 refuse the "offer" to be "promoted" into mgmt at this trucking company.

BBB

I think the initial post has to be flame bait. Why would someone with 6 years at FDX leave to go to UPS Management? Louisville isn't that far from Memphis. I would think you could hold a good line like someone mentioned above.

If this is a serious post maybe you should consider a seperate career completely outside of aviation. Some people can never be happy in aviation. Some pilots could make $1 million a month and only have to work one day a week and they would bitch because that day is Sunday.

Last edited:
Are you really executive material? If yes then require substantial moving expenses, multi-year contract and a golden parachute that would compensate you for some of the hundreds of thousands (or millions of dollars)you'll be giving up at FedEX if it doesn't work out. I also understand that once you leave the pilot group at UPS for UPS management there is no return route to the line. This may have changed but I remember it published in some FAPA employment rag many years ago. If you're potential employment stature at UPS doesn't warrant these things then the answer is an emphatic NO.

ATA has a flight ops. managment type leaving for a similar position over at UPS.

Interesting. Wonder what's going on over there.

I know a former Eagle driver who is in Mgt at UPS. If you want to lead, have an impact on the workforce, and live in your hometown...it might work. You would have the chance to keep flying (some) but not have to live out of a suitcase. Those guys throwing spears may not have the same reference point as you do... They also may not understand "management pilot" is not an entry level paycheck either--if numbers a former client shared with me are accurate you shouldn't be losing any money.

Big question for you is do you give up airline flexibility for management job? Its not my cup of tea, but there are a lot of folks (even at FDX) who seem to like the training/LCA/ACP type life and schedules. I'm glad there are good folks who want the job so I don't have to do it.

Good luck in any case.

Latest resources

Back