Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Found this on CNN Money.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/05/pf/college/lucrative_degrees/

Funny I didn't find UPS pilot on this chart....hmmm.

A liberal arts major (i.e. history major), newly graduated, makes more than a pilot who has a college degree and has worked for probably 10 years building up thier ratings and qualifications.

How did the UPS pilots allow this to happen? Oh let me guess, when the contract was being negotiated they didn't have any new hires. Is there a UPS Captain that can say with a straight face that this is fair? How can you look your new hire pilots in the face. SHAME! SHAME! Hey Newby, I make in one month what you make in a year...now pour me some coffee...cream and half a sugar, and not more than two thirds full, I don't wanna spill on my rolex... is my preflight complete yet?
degree_worth.gif

Big Beer Belly said:
. . .<snip>. . "What can Brown do for me?"

BBA <--- like that?
Now THAT's funny!!!
I have to agree with BBB's philosophy of not going into work and getting a big paycheck. My company's stock doubled and increased their dividend payouts every quarter for the last four years while I diligently followed BBB's work ethic.
So. . . I don't know how it works in the pax business, but it seems that the less I fly in the cargo business, the better my company performs!!!

VaB said:
So, please, now fire away and tell me that since I wasn't here in the 90's, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Bingo.

BTW ... I think EVERY airline pilot in America read the "famous Fred" letter as it was widely circulated. Oops, since you weren't here in the 90's ... guess you missed that one too! <g>

klhoard said:
My company's stock doubled and increased their dividend payouts every quarter for the last four years while I diligently followed BBB's work ethic.
So. . . I don't know how it works in the pax business, but it seems that the less I fly in the cargo business, the better my company performs!!!

You're a crack up! Speaking of stock ... I swear more UPS pilots have sold their UPS stock, bought FDX and made a small bundle ... now, I never had a sister to kiss, but it's got to feel similar! My friends in Kentucky tell me there's nothing like "relative sex". <g>

Big Beer Belly said:
Bingo.

BTW ... I think EVERY airline pilot in America read the "famous Fred" letter as it was widely circulated. Oops, since you weren't here in the 90's ... guess you missed that one too! <g>

Thank you Mr. 5 percenter. You didn't win your free postcard, though.

Yes, I've read the letter. It can be found on the ALPA website somewhere. Yeah, it's ugly and sounds personal and I'm glad I wasn't here to get one. But it's not personal, it's business. That was union busting tactics 101 and it worked. Some guys were running around like chickens with their heads cutoff. Since it didn't come down to midnight, we'll never know what would've happened. From talking to guys that were here, it sounds like a cointoss as to what would've happened. Maybe if I had been here and got my own letter and watched the clock tick down to midnight, I'd be angry and bitter to, but I'm not. I just want a decent contract that's fair to both sides and we SHALL get retropay.

Maybe when my belly gets big (OK, bigger), I'll apply for my 5 percenter pin. But until then, open mind.

Test.

Last edited:
VaB said:
Thank you Mr. 5 percenter.

Maybe if I had been here and got my own letter and watched the clock tick down to midnight, I'd be angry and bitter to, but I'm not.

I just want a decent contract that's fair to both sides and we SHALL get retropay.

In your last post you implied that you didn't need to be around for any length of time to form an accurate opinion ... you were new, but you knew it all anyway ... or some such silliness. Now you acknowledge that perhaps your opinion would be different if you had been hired at FedEx earlier. Which is it?

As for the 5% unhappy crowd at FedEx ... if 95% are currently happy, what incentive does Fred have to improve any aspect of your current contract? Why do you think retro is a given? 95% happy campers are not going to strike ... especially not for retro ... all bluster aside.

My question is why Fred and Mike don't get together and cut our rates for a couple of months to send DHL and the German Post Office packing.
I'm a union person and I just want a reasonable gain and some areas that aren't much liked (substitution) fixed. I think we deserve gains proportional to the gains that the company has made since our last agreement. I do think the gains need to be more in the mid to lower year groups. Although it would be nice to be a Capt and earn 300k and work 9 months a year, I just can't say that I'm worth that with a straight face.

Purpledog said:
...<snip>. . I just can't say that I'm worth that with a straight face.
Well, I'm definately worth it. . . (said with a straight face). . . .

Big Beer Belly said:
In your last post you implied that you didn't need to be around for any length of time to form an accurate opinion ... you were new, but you knew it all anyway ... or some such silliness. Now you acknowledge that perhaps your opinion would be different if you had been hired at FedEx earlier. Which is it?

As for the 5% unhappy crowd at FedEx ... if 95% are currently happy, what incentive does Fred have to improve any aspect of your current contract? Why do you think retro is a given? 95% happy campers are not going to strike ... especially not for retro ... all bluster aside.

Now BBB, either you are twisting my words to fit your opinion of what I'm trying to say, or I'm not expressing myself very well. Being the eternal optimist and lover of all mankind, I'll go with option B. I find these internet message board discussions a bit confusing sometimes, since what you say and the tone with which it is said is often confused. So, in that light, I will assume I'm not getting my point to you, and I'll also assume that the condescending tone from your last message was an accident.

Anyway, in that first paragraph of your last message, you certainly didn't get the point I was trying to make. I never said I knew everything, I certainly know that I don't. However, just because I've not been here since the Falcons were flying around, doesn't automatically make me an idiot. I also did not say my opinion would be different if I had been here in the mid 90's, I said maybe it would be different.

The entire point of jumping into this thread in the first place was just to comment and point out to a fellow "newby", Ivan, that the blustering he was getting about being a youngster was normal and to be expected by certain demographics.

One last thing, the 5 percenter remark is in regards to only hearing the gnashing of teeth and the dooming and glooming from the 5% on either side of the issue (this issue or any other one, it's not my term). Noone said anything about the middle 90% being happy and ready to take paycuts to make Fred happy. Most guys I talk to know we're going to get a better contract and also know and are willing to work to get a better contract. I just think the other 90% are keeping their opinions to themselves and not screeching like barnowls on the crewbus every chance they get.

And there SHALL be retropay. That's about the only thing everyone does agree on these days.

Alright, Triple B, hit me. And give me one of those beers.

Latest resources

Back