Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question Flying together and traffic alerts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Neal

Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
Haven’t done the cub gaggle yet but I assume multiple planes in close proximity, not formation, may get non stop traffic alerts especially now with the G3X offering them. What do people do to mitigate alerts when flying in “formation” to destinations?

Haven’t done the cub gaggle yet but I assume multiple planes in close proximity, not formation, may get non stop traffic alerts especially now with the G3X offering them. What do people do to mitigate alerts when flying in “formation” to destinations?
When I did my photo shoot a few years ago, I went into the traffic page, selected menu and changed alerts to inhibit before departing in formation. (Check the G3X manual for specifics). It worked well and once we broke formation and I headed home it was easy to reenable it before reentering my home fields airspace.

Good advice. In addition, ATC usually prefers that all aircraft in the formation except the lead squawk "standby" on their transponders.

As you know, an undisciplined gaggle is more dangerous than an organized formation with trained pilots. With your experience, taking the time to properly train the other participants would not only be safer but more fun for all of you. The additional benefit would be that your friends would add to their skill set and become better pilots.

Gaggles can be fun and most participants use common sense and watch out for one another. Unfortunately, there is often one ya-hoo in the group that becomes a hazard. Introducing a little knowledge into the situation usually imparts some of the required discipline.

I'll have to check the G3X settings when tapping the Transponder. Good suggestion.

I hate using the word "Formation" as people that aren't trained to fly formation shouldn't be flying formation but I guess it's probably the better term. I just cringe at some things I see on YouTube.

4-ship Yak52, 2xCJ6 and a Navion. You see when the excrement is going to hit the fan. Note the cut behind Navion canopy from striking prop on Yak52. On landing the Navion split in two tearing from that cut. Hull lose for both planes. Yak suffered prop damage, leading edge and tail damage. No fatalities. Navion pilot 90+ years old.

Attachments

• MOV_7366.mov
    7 MB
  • IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2
4-ship Yak52, 2xCJ6 and a Navion. You see when the excrement is going to hit the fan. Note the cut behind Navion canopy from striking prop on Yak52. On landing the Navion split in two tearing from that cut. Hull lose for both planes. Yak suffered prop damage, leading edge and tail damage. No fatalities. Navion pilot 90+ years old.
Holy s**t! When and were did this happen?

Falcon Field, Mesa, Arizona. The Yak52 belonged to my brother and a partner. His partner was flying it. Probably some video from the news on YouTube.

Neil is correct. You just don’t jump into an airplane and fly close to another one without a whole lot of training.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back