UPS First Year Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cylde,

My first year was fine. I don't work for brown.....thank god. We got paid a "living" wage.

So are you saying that your pay structure at brown is like Amway? A pyramid scheme. Get the new guys to finance the senior guys? Is that how it works over there?

If you can't make it on "probationary pay" for a measley 12 months,, boy you are doing something terribly wrong with your finances. If it's such a big issue with you, please don't waste our time, just go away.

VaB said:
That's pretty standard tactics from the 5 percenters. That is, once you admit you're a new guy, you'll get the "youngster" crap and "you'll be singing a different tune, youngster" crap.

I'll try one more time ...

Why do you believe our Founding Fathers set the minimum age of 35 to hold the office of President of the United States? This is especially interesting given the average life expectancy at the time was barely 40. Do you think they thought everyone less than 35 was an idiot or not entitled to an opinion?

It just might be that the older, wiser, more experienced pilots around FedEx actually have a more ACCURATE picture of what you are up against in negotiations. At one time I was a similar happy camper humming "kumbaya" and skipping gleefully off to preflight my shiny old Boeing 3-holer. The cumulative sum of hostile management vs labor (and all the ways that plays out) will reshape your opinion over the years. I'm absolutely confident you will view FedEx differently (and less positively) in 10 years ... it is the statistical norm.

At any rate, I sincerely wish my FedEx pilot brothers the best in their negotiations. From EXPERIENCE, I have seen "the rising tide floats all boats" theory successfully applied.

Meanwhile, my new virtual drinking buddy klhoard and I will do all we can to raise our respective stock prices by doing what we do the least!

Cheers,

BBB or BBA (for tailkookah)

Echopapa said:
Cylde,

My first year was fine. I don't work for brown.....thank god. We got paid a "living" wage.

So are you saying that your pay structure at brown is like Amway? A pyramid scheme. Get the new guys to finance the senior guys? Is that how it works over there?

"I don't work for brown.....thank god."
I could have told you that. A person like you gets weeded out here pretty quickly. How long before they told you no?

BTW, do the FedEx pilots know you are going around pretending to be one of them?

VaB said:
Sweet. I already told my wife that I will probably be a grouchy old man when that time arrives. Wait til she finds out that I've been assured that I'll hate my job also. She'll love it.

That's the spirit now! After 10 years of marriage you'll be yelling at the wife, "At least my job sucks!" <g>

Cylde,

You should be embarassed that you voted for a contract that has such low pay rates for pilots who share your profession. Here is an idea for your upcomming contract... pay newhires 10K a year and then you can get a 16K payraise. I'm sure there will still be plenty of applicants for the job. Heck, for that matter, maybe new hires should work for free their first year, a rite of passage if you will, so that you senior guys can afford that condo in florida. Whats that called....let me think...indentured servatude?

There is nothing you can say to me to convince me that 26K / year is an appropriate salary for someone who has the credentials to be hired to fly for Brown.

Thanks to all the Captains that bought me dinner my first year. Almost every airline does that, even the ones with reasonable first year pay. Are the Brown captains buying the new hire's family groceries? How about his children's medical care? Accepting a contract that pays a new hire $2000/ month before tax so that you can fatten your own check is self serving and based purly out of GREED.

Here is a new flash too...not everyone wants to work for Brown. I certainly don't. I would have to take a pay and benefit cut.

I am not proud of our first year pay, but I certainly think that it gives our new hires a fair oppurtunity to stay off food stamps.

Last edited:
Echopapa said:
Cylde,

You should be embarassed that you voted for a contract that has such low pay rates for pilots who share your profession. Here is an idea for your upcomming contract... pay newhires 10K a year and then you can get a 16K payraise. I'm sure there will still be plenty of applicants for the job. Heck, for that matter, maybe new hires should work for free their first year, a rite of passage if you will, so that you senior guys can afford that condo in florida. Whats that called....let me think...indentured servatude?

There is nothing you can say to me to convince me that 26K / year is an appropriate salary for someone who has the credentials to be hired to fly for Brown.

Thanks to all the Captains that bought me dinner my first year. Almost every airline does that, even the ones with reasonable first year pay. Are the Brown captains buying the new hire's family groceries? How about his children's medical care? Accepting a contract that pays a new hire $2000/ month before tax so that you can fatten your own check is self serving and based purly out of GREED.

Here is a new flash too...not everyone wants to work for Brown. I certainly don't. I would have to take a pay and benefit cut.

I am not proud of our first year pay, but I certainly think that it gives our new hires a fair oppurtunity to stay off food stamps.

"You should be embarassed that you voted for a contract that has such low pay rates for pilots who share your profession."
I hadn't been hired yet, so I had no say on the vote.

"There is nothing you can say to me to convince me that 26K / year is an appropriate salary for someone who has the credentials to be hired to fly for Brown."
I never said it was, nor did I ever try to convince you of it. It's a fact of life here right now. If you can suck it up for one year, then great. If you don't want to deal with it, than go fly for somebody else. My point earlier was that I planned on low pay my first year AT ANY AIRLINE. i.e., I didn't run out and drown myself in debt prior to coming here. The pay sucked, but I was prepared for it by saving up for almost two years and keeping my expenses low, both prior to getting hired and during that first year.

"Accepting a contract that pays a new hire $2000/ month before tax so that you can fatten your own check is self serving and based purly out of GREED."
You can't say it wasn't accepted because of a lack of a democratic process.

"Here is a new flash too...not everyone wants to work for Brown. I certainly don't. I would have to take a pay and benefit cut."
You're right. I guess with only 20,000 resumes on file most people come here so they can build their jet time and become "commercial pilots".

You're probably expecting me to say something derogatory about FedEx. Here's a newsflash for you dude, I would be flying for them just as easily as here if they offered me the job first. Just like Brown, I think Purple is also an excellent place to be. The pilots I've met from there are about the most professional and friendliest people I've come across in this industry.

I wouldn't say I think you are unfriendly or unprofessional, but man, you sure do sound abrasive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back