Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS CLASS DATE MARCH 14th ?-any calls?-any new dates in the future?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bbb, that's what i meant. 1000 for next several yrs and also i don't agree with your comment about lean operation, because i don't think these guys know how to run an operation. (FURLOUGH IN 02 HIRE 400 IN 05) while we have been hiring expensive managers non stop.
i love to be optimistic but i can't find any reason to be, at least not around here and not now

Ok Big Beer Belly, since I am only an FE (WTF, over) I guess I am a moron and you will have to explain things to me slowly.

Obviously there is a limit to the throughput of any training facility, which would be based on the number of sims and the instuctors. My point, which obviously you as an all-knowing Captain somehow took exception to, is that how in the world can your training "system" be "maxed out" just doing recurrent and upgrade training? How does the company ever train any new hires?

Having done so little hiring for so long, I don't see how the training dept can be "maxed out", and if it is you obviously need a bigger training facility, or need to farm out the training, as FedEx has and will continue to do. It would seem ludicrous to let the line go short (we are talking airline management however, and we are in a similar situation) because you can't train people fast enough to fill the seats. We are running into a similar situation, but we are hiring a lot more folks and are finding ways to get it done.

My un-informed (and only an FE to boot) opinion is that your company is using the "maxed out" excuse as simply a ploy to keep from hiring more folks while you are in negotiations. I have nothing to base that upon, it is simply a guess. I still have a hard time believing that your training department is maxed out with recurrent and upgrade training requirements but apparently the company has run too lean too long.

I wasn't trying to throw spears, I was just flabergasted by the notion that you guys are so easily "maxed out" in your training department. Your explanation of the added demand based on the upgrade caused by the seat bid was helpful, and our companies have put themselves in similar binds in regard to hiring (as evidenced by our class of 32 newhires today) enough pilots to keep the seats full. Our 727 FE list will only have 130 names on it at the end of our current training cycle, so we will have to find a way to hire and train at least 370 more new hires this year to keep that seat filled to its normal level.

Insulting and belittling my intelligence based on my current seat does make you come off as a bit of an arse however.

Best of luck to you in your negotiations and I do hope you guys can find a way to train the new hires that you obviously need to fill your seats.

FJ

Last edited:
Falconjet said:
Ok Big Beer Belly, since I am only an FE (WTF, over) I guess I am a moron and you will have to explain things to me slowly.

Obviously there is a limit to the throughput of any training facility, which would be based on the number of sims and the instuctors. My point, which obviously you as an all-knowing Captain somehow took exception to, is that how in the world can your training "system" be "maxed out" just doing recurrent and upgrade training? How does the company ever train any new hires?

Having done so little hiring for so long, I don't see how the training dept can be "maxed out", and if it is you obviously need a bigger training facility, or need to farm out the training, as FedEx has and will continue to do. It would seem ludicrous to let the line go short (we are talking airline management however, and we are in a similar situation) because you can't train people fast enough to fill the seats. We are running into a similar situation, but we are hiring a lot more folks and are finding ways to get it done.

My un-informed (and only an FE to boot) opinion is that your company is using the "maxed out" excuse as simply a ploy to keep from hiring more folks while you are in negotiations. I have nothing to base that upon, it is simply a guess. I still have a hard time believing that your training department is maxed out with recurrent and upgrade training requirements but apparently the company has run too lean too long.

I wasn't trying to throw spears, I was just flabergasted by the notion that you guys are so easily "maxed out" in your training department. Your explanation of the added demand based on the upgrade caused by the seat bid was helpful, and our companies have put themselves in similar binds in regard to hiring (as evidenced by our class of 32 newhires today) enough pilots to keep the seats full. Our 727 FE list will only have 130 names on it at the end of our current training cycle, so we will have to find a way to hire and train at least 370 more new hires this year to keep that seat filled to its normal level.

Insulting and belittling my intelligence based on my current seat does make you come off as a bit of an arse however.

Best of luck to you in your negotiations and I do hope you guys can find a way to train the new hires that you obviously need to fill your seats.

FJ

Well said....

Falconjet said:
Not to be caustic or anything, but I do have a question. How can a company who has hired only about 24 people in the last 4 years have their training center maxed out? I understand recurrent training and such, but certainly you guys have to be able to hire enough instructors to train more than 12 new hires a month. What is the deal with that?

Geez Falconjet ... didn't think you were so sensitive. CLEARLY ... UPS's training department is NOT maxed out with 24 new hires ... um, that's why we're hiring 300! (Of course you meant to be "caustic", you big fibber.)

Since your post was clearly an attempt to rile, I didn't (and don't) see how a good-natured little jibe back was out of line.

Last edited:
Questions about scoring!

Well, I really would like to know if anyone has any info on how potential new hires are drawn from the pool, and if there actually is going to be a March 14th class? As for the staffing of a training center, my 12 years at various airlines leads me to believe that I never really have the big picture!

Mossback,

Well, let's see "Questions about Scoring"...let me get my corvassier and best ladies man smoking jacket on, little Barry White playing in the background....oh wait, not the type of scoring you were talking about.

No idea how they score it, hopefully it's not on good looks or I'm going to have to go back to fishing. Yes on the March school date question.

Maybe they use the Magic Eight Ball....All signs point to YES(for any Seinfeld fans).

Sorry for the humor attempts, this thread was taking a negative turn..press on.

Ok BBB, as long as its all in good fun, I retract my arse statement.

My statement was simply one of amazement, not meant to be caustic, which is why I prefaced my statement that way.

I still wish the best to you and Brown in your negotiations.

Metal? I don't even think I deserve a medal!

But thanks for the thought.

The freight dogs must stick together!

Peace, FJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back