UPS "Cancels" Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BrownTailGuy said:
UPS has sent a letter to the Pilot Group telling us that it has no plans to furlough till at least the end of 2004

I've been swimming since July '01. A few people sent me e-mail regarding this announcement...thinking this might be a sign that UPS is gearing up to hire. That would be great, but what exactly is the implication of the above quote? Is UPS saying according to current staffing and planed A/C aquisitons/reductions and pilot retirements that it might again become necessary to furlough at the end of '04? If that's the case, it wouldn't seem likely that any hiring would be imminent for several years.

LGAPilot

I wouldn't take it as UPS planning to furlough at the end of 2004. We are very short crrews right now. They needed to pick a time and they did. I think they are hoping we get a contract signed by that time and they can re-evaluate where we are as far as staffing is concerned.

They have yet to determine their aircraft retirement and acquisition schedule for next year. So we will not know what is happening till then.

There is a sense that some hiring will occur this year but how much and when is up in the air. If you don't see any hiring by say October I would venture to guess you won't see any until January at the least as "peak" starts in November and everyone is flying.

I agree with Browntailguy. I don't think the company plans to fulough at the end of 04. Rather, I think they KNOW that it won't be necessary to do so for the for 4seeable future and they KNEW the only way the IPA would lift the "ban" on open time was to cough that up in a statement. My guess is you'll see new faces on the property by the fall and if not certainly after peak. Hang in there poolies.

hr2eternity said:
Hang in there poolies.

Been hangin'. Will continue to hang. If I'm in brown by Fall...I'll be the happiest guy this year.

If I'm in brown EVER...I'll be the happiest guy when it happens.

LGApilot

tim1wolf said:
Have any poolies called HR lately?

I've been told numerous times calling HR is the kiss of death. I'm not willing to take that chance. This isn't SWA we're talking about. I'll keep waiting patiently.

LGAPilot

:D
Then, maybe someone at UPS already could make the call for us and report back. Hint...Hint...

I'm afraid we would be met with the same issue. HR doesn't even know anything about hiring until its upon them so calling them wouldn't do any good. Not a very good answer I know, but I'm afraid patience will have to suffice. I think however, as I said before that you will see new faces at brown no later than after this years peak, like Jan/Feb. Good luck!! Hope to see you there.

Latest resources

Back