UPS "Cancels" Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrownTailGuy

UPS has sent a letter to the Pilot Group telling us that it has no plans to furlough till at least the end of 2004 (in effect cancelling the furlough talk that has been hanging over our heads since November.) The company announced plans in February to furlough up to 100 pilots by the end of September this year and then "Suspended" those furloughs due to military callups and a few early retirements and a leave of absence program.

The company is understaffed and needs to hire. It has admitted that to the union (who has been telling the company this for a couple years.) The buzz around the Union is that there may even be discussions of hiring. This is the first bit of info I have heard coming from the Union since Pre 9/11. I hope this is good news.

As many of you know we are currently in the middle of contract negotiations. Hopefully we can move forward and get something worthwhile soon. But most of the people who have been here for a while have predicted, it will be years until we have something worth voting on.

Fly Safe

That is great news but I have a question. Let say they start hiring next month and the pilots go on strike. Can the new hire strike without loosing his or her job since they are still under probation? I would hate to be between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks

Fly Safe

:D

Your company is one of the best paying and most secure companies out there. What would you describe as worthwhile contract. I am guessing better working conditions but other than that I haven't a clue.

A worthwhile contract is one with minimum staffing provisions, a 25% pay rate increase (just to get us to industry standard), furlough protection and scheduling rules that will allow us to get the time off we need to have a life.

If you are on probation when a strike occurs, any return to work agreement should include your reinstatement.

good luck
100% ipa
N

Right on target nightrider! Too bad it's hard to know how much of the letter to believe. Afterall, the company had to furlough for "very real and pressing business concerns", while turning around two days later and anouncing an increase in dividend payout.

My guess is they saw the vacations coming this summer and realized they couldn't make service without opentime pick up and called a truce.

WG

curious

Just curious Nightrider

Why is it that you feel you should have or be able to tell a company what the minimum staffing should be. Should not the flying required and regulations deal with that issue.

In todays environment, what exactly is the "industry standard" that we are talking about and is that the standard with other freight companies, or, all companies that fly the type of equipment you fly.

Thirdly, assuming that the company does not keep growing along or changes direction, what or why should they be forced not to furlough people if there is not sufficient work in their minds to justify the expense.

From a company point of view, what should be the consideration and was at the time they took the flying in house was consistancy. What you may want to remember is that today they pay much more to fly that equipment than when it was done by suppliers.

In short, there is more than one way to look at things.

Min Staffing?

Too bad your minimum staffing concerns didn't do anything for the Challenge Air Cargo guys you sent out on the street years ago when you bought them out and threw them aside like a used condom. (and yes, that was meant to be a dart)

Well lets see. First - No I haven't heard any rumors about hiring yet.

Second
publishers to answer your questions, change that maybe if you pulled your head out of your ass and looked around you could anwer them yourself.

Third
For the challenge air cargo remark. The company did not buy Challenge Air Cargo. They bought the routes. I know nothing about that deal. However if you want to work at UPS interview and get the job like everyone else.

Latest resources

Back