• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS Airbus down in Birmingham

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about rwy 6? Calm wind, no notams regarding ILS out of service, all the problems are at the end.
If the runway is indeed out of service (one notam above showed only for an hour), then you have not much choice

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-321900256.html

Upon reading on the topic, if you fly a derived (FMS/GPS) glidepath below an MDA, you may hit obstacles...this practice does not guarantee a safe approach to the runway.

This topic is very confusing....I didn't understand this fully until researching the topic, and have found other pilots do not, either.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cliff,

Extremely interesting ....For those of us w/out a subscription to the link you provided, could you cut and paste the full body of the article here?

Thanks,

Whine

"Baro-VNAV." What was the altimeter setting? If it was low, say 29.5something, and they didn't correct for it or their system didn't, it could cause trouble.

I used to fly J32's/J41's in there and never used that runway very much at all.

Once again, I think this will be combination of factors.

yup a derived glidepath only keeps you safe to VDP..from where visual references must be obtained and maintained...

Has anyone figured out if UPS plates show this approach is available at night? I looked at our company plates and it is identical to the one on this thread. Night is NA for cat C&D. As far as the confusion with the notes regarding night being authorized with the VGSI operative, could this note be a note for all categories? What I mean is the plate we have seen is only for cat C&D aircraft which prohibits this approach at night. I would think this note probably applies to cat A&B aircraft which is on another plate.

Latest resources

Back