Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're Welcome

Typhoon1244 said:
Like all of us, I can't say how much longer the ride will last, but I'm sure enjoying myself now...well. You wanted to know how some of us "two-year captains"feel. I can only speak for myself...now you know.
Ernie Gann couldn't have said it better. Keep having fun!!

Last edited:
AZaviator said:
I think there were two quotes on this thread that people should read, and read again, and keep in mind throughout their flying careers:

and

I think if you focus more on the journey to flying the big iron, all the people you'll meet, all the places you'll get to go, all the experiences you have..... rather than the end goal, it will be a much more enjoyable ride.

And, as quoted above, remember, this industry is cyclical. What comes around goes around. It might not be the greatest now, but it will eventually turn around, and all of us will have significantly better chances of attaining our dream flying job.

:cool:

Yeah I get somewhat exasperated with people who think flying is about the destination (that major airline seat), and not about enjoying it in the meantime. To those types, its not a real job unless it is a major airline, and they look down on anyone who isnt doing that for a career. I intend to enjoy my career as a pilot, regardless of how big a plane I end up in. And I will not shed any tears if I do not end up flying big iron, as long as it was fun along the way

This has got to be one of the best threads I've ever seen on this board. Many excellent posts especially from FurloughedAgain.

Furloughed Again... I tip my hat to you. You are a true pro, and I do wish I had the opportunity to share the cockpit with more like you. A true pilot flies and doesn't bemoan his equipment as not being "good enough" or how annoyed he is about how United isn't calling yet.

Somehow the collected tales of this thread remind me of a story of my own from about two years ago when I was jumpseating on a CRJ. I wandered into the cockpit to introduce myself, grateful that the captain was gracious enough to let someone who didn't work for his company (nor had any affiliation whatsoever with his outfit) sit inches over his right shoulder for an hour and a half. After exchanging the usual pleasantries and fiddling with the jumpseat for a minute or two, the inevitable "so what are you flying?" question came up... "The Mighty Beech", I said. Well, you simply wouldn't have believed the look of disdain that coursed across the FO's face... Didn't even try to hide it. The funny part was I then looked at the captain, who happened to be looking at the FO, and HIS expression was absolutely priceless and easy to interpret... "What is THAT face for??" Well it seems the captain on this airplane had spent four years or so flying the 1900C and D-models, and he waxed eloquently about how much he missed flying the plane... While the FO sat there, smugly disinterested in the entire conversation.

Anyhoo... Fast-forward to half an hour into the flight, and the FO announces he has to go use the bathroom. After awkardly extricating myself from the jumpseat to let him out and locking the door behind me, the captain turns to me and says "Tell you what, don't let that kid back in here. The biggest thing he flew before this was Seminole and he thinks the world owes him MY seat... Two months on the line and he's an old pro, seen it all, and he doesn't even have a thousand hours yet. He'd probably have a heart attack if he had to fly a 1900. These bridge program kids are all the same, think they've got it all figured out and they are above everyone else who works for this company who's in a prop, or ever flew a prop for that matter."

I just sat there, snickering and wondering just how serious he was about not letting the FO back in the cockpit. :)

I.P. Freley said:
While the FO sat there, smugly disinterested in the entire conversation.
I've seen similar reactions, talking to jumpseaters about learning how to fly from a 1000-foot grass strip...as opposed to a college campus.

Loved your post until I got to this sentence:
These bridge program kids are all the same, think they've got it all figured out and they are above everyone else who works for this company who's in a prop, or ever flew a prop for that matter.
Going through a "bridge program" does not automatically strip you of all perspective. (I even know some guys with lots of 1900 time that came across the bridge...)

As a student soon to begin a advanced flying training program having finished college, I'd just like to say I think the prospect of flying turboprops would be great fun! Firstly I just love the sound that they make, I think they're far more interesting to ride on as a passinger than a 737! Plus I'd think you'd get a wealth of exprence flying to both large and small airports, controlled and uncontrolled in all sorts of conditions and often without an auto pilot. Not to say I wouldn't want a job with the majors, but I would think you'd learn a lot more and have a lot more interesting exprenceces in a TP with a regional than a 777 at the majors. And yes I know about the long hours and sometimes 7day weeks, but hey... your getting paid flying arn't you? If it's somthing you love, then it's hardly a chore, the pay is just a bonus.

AWESOME thread... absolutely awesome.

I am a 26 year old who's fortunate to be living in paradise flying in the left seat of a Dash 8 between the Hawaiian Islands having only spent 1 year in the right seat.

In my career so far, I've done a little bit of everything except banner-towing and flight instructing. I flew skydivers, VFR 135 tours, single pilot 135 night cargo, and one thing is clear - I wouldn't trade it for any other job out there. If I was to get stuck in a Piper Lance for years flying checks, I'd take it with stride, and be happy I'm flying. Sure, I'd b*tch and moan - which pilot doesn't, but would I trade it for an office job? Not just no, but HE11 NO!!!

For those who feel "stuck" where they are... think of it this way - you could be working 7-6 office job 5 days a week and fight the rush hour traffic day in and day out, and only wonder what could have happened if you stuck it out whenever you see an airplane fly overhead.

If you are in this industry because you wouldn't be happy doing anything else, you've got it made even if you don't make it to UAL 777 left seat.

However, if you are in it because you figure you'd get to make $100k+ in 3 years after graduation... you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment and probably have picked the wrong industry.

I think the NBA said it right: I LOVE THIS GAME!

Keep up the great posts!

Typhoon

Typhoon,

Please do not take the posts here personally -- perhaps I'm reading you wrong, but you seem a bit defensive.

This thread isnt about age, or experience, or bridge programs, or flight instructing -- its about attitude.

Its about a new generation of pilots who were not told the truth. In all of their aviation training, they were never given any training on the aviation industry and, as a result, they feel cheated.

Another one of my favorite captains from years past told me once, "There's no such thing as an airline career... just your next airline job."

This thread is about sharing experiences with pilots who did not have the opportunity to learn about the generations of pilots who came before. The ones who dont understand what happened at New York Air, People's Express, Eastern and Continental. The ones who snicker when they see a PanAm 727 -- not remembering that PanAm was, at one time, the most powerful airline and most recognized corporate symbol on the planet.

It's about I.P. Freely being "snubbed" for flying a Beech by a junior first officer.

This is a thread about welcoming this generation of pilots to the bottom of the aviation economic cycle... educating them... and helping them to understand that perhaps some of the expectations that they had for their "career" were a bit unrealistic.

Its not a career, after all, its just another job. Do you love flying enough to keep it -- whatever the cost?

Latest resources

Back