Unrealistic Expectations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Excellent posts!

A couple years ago, back when the poolee list at the top of the page was for UAL guys, there was a discussion on this board about how long the upside of this cycle would last. It was predicted that the sub-1000 hour regional pilots and the 4-year captains at the majors were more of an anomoly and would not last long. Many people argued that things were changing, that this good time was going to last... after all just look at how the market is going through the roof! What could happen???

One individual went on to talk about the ten year cycle in aviation and how things tend to take a turn for the worse shortly after the beginning of a new decade. He talked about how important those extra few seniority numbers were, since it could mean the difference between furlough and holding on to your job. The majority of people on the board thought that this was an overly pessimistic view of things since everyone was hiring like crazy.

I also thought that the prediction may have been a bit on the gloomy side myself, but I also saw that the cycle he talked about seemed to be correct. That's why I still remember that one particular thread.

I believe it was pilotyip who made those comments. If so, kudo's to you- and the next time you look into your crystal ball if you happen to see any stock tips please pass them along.

T1bubba

FurloughedAgain, and Metro

Very nice posts. Especially yours FA. Bet I could tell you the same story from another time, as it realtes to your cycle.

The tide ebbs and flows. Some of us catch it coming in, others going out. Some who are here for the money drown and disappear (I say with good riddance).

It certainly is a special thing for those who really love to fly for the sake of flying. Those will always be here and in another time another one will write as you just did.

Best wishes to you.

Touches the ol' heart.

FA, you're a fortunate person in that you seem to enjoy your job. While I know there is alot of complaining on this board, at least you're doing something want to do (too bad the realities of the business world get in the way of that enjoyment sometimes!). I am "envious" of you folks. It beats flying a desk. Yes, I don't have to worry about getting furloughed (in theory) but there are many days I find myself just drudging along at my job.

Best wishes and may you never get tired of the view from above -the real "executive suite"!

SDF2BUF2MCO said:
I am "envious" of you folks. It beats flying a desk. Yes, I don't have to worry about getting furloughed (in theory) but there are many days I find myself just drudging along at my job.

Don't kid yourself, my company "Furloughed" over 50,000 "desk-pilots" this year... no one, and I mean no one is immune to a bad economy and such...

Every job has its good points and bad points... don't be too envious of the pilots who fly from day to day professionally... Sometimes that 9 to 5 desk job looks pretty attractive!

Just remember in good times and bad, you always have your family and friends... a virtual port in the storm...

Furloughedagain,

I know exactly how you feel, having been there-done that, now I'm waiting (praying) for an opening at a local freight carrier so I can fly the ol' "San Antonio Sewer Pipe". That, being a job I had over five years ago, then after flying glass for the last few years I'm not sure I'll be able to. Hey you and I along with thousands others are also "furloughedagain". If that job doesn't pan out I'm going to have to do something other than fly until things turn around or I get called back to my old job.

I too just grinned the last time some guy ten years younger said he was going to UPS next year... He's still a 727 FE for a bottom feeder freight carrier and there's no upgrade in sight!

I think there were two quotes on this thread that people should read, and read again, and keep in mind throughout their flying careers:

For those of you who havent been through the downturn...hang on tight. It isnt going to be enjoyable...it isnt going to be fast...but eventually the cycle will reverse.

and

To those who are going to rough it out.. hang in there, this profession is one continous rough, bumpy and winding road... But remember Life is not about the destination, it is the journey...

I think if you focus more on the journey to flying the big iron, all the people you'll meet, all the places you'll get to go, all the experiences you have..... rather than the end goal, it will be a much more enjoyable ride.

And, as quoted above, remember, this industry is cyclical. What comes around goes around. It might not be the greatest now, but it will eventually turn around, and all of us will have significantly better chances of attaining our dream flying job.

:cool:

FurloughedAgain said:
You know, I wrote this as reaction to the many conversations and arguments I've shared with my flying partners over the last few months . . . . Many of the pilots who were hired at the regionals in the late 90's (a decade) later were hired directly from university flight programs (UND, ERAU, you name it...). Many of them did very little flying outside of school -- maybe a few hundred hours of flight instruction and not much more. They came to the regionals and in less than two years -- sometimes less than a SINGLE year -- they have upgraded to Captain on high performance turboprops and regional jets . . . . What amazes me is how ANGRY these pilots are . . . .
I started reading this board just over a year ago after having virtually no contact or thought about aviation for eight years. I, too, couldn't believe the anger, and how so many of these folks felt that they were owed. Nine-ten years ago, when I was in the same position as many of them were before hire but several years older than them, I would have jumped for joy just to be invited to class at a commuter. For me, flying an RJ would have been way beyond my wildest dreams. Read my other posts. I'm sure my frustration is apparent. But, not once did I ever feel that I was owed. Therefore, I, too, don't understand the anger.
FurloughedAgain said:
I think that their expectations were unreasonable -- and I blame it completely on the aviation universities. For four years these young men and women were groomed to expect greatness. They watched as their friends graduated and moved quickly to the regionals, flew for two or three years and moved on to United. Heck...many of those people were only at United for 4 or 5 years before they upgraded! Why didnt anyone tell them the truth?
Agreed. May I throw in another dig against Kit Darby for fomenting these unreasonable expectations by way of his "pilot shortage?"

Once again, stupendous comments. I hope that the folks to whom you're directing them would take your comments to heart and reflect on them, and not blow them off.

Last edited:
Words fail me

Furloughed Again--To be perfectly honest I can't ever recall ever reading any of your other posts, but after the one above I worship the ground you walk on.

You said everything I feel.

Peace :)

FurloughedAgain said:
What amazes me is how ANGRY these pilots are. They're angry that it took them so LONG (?) to upgrade.
I switched seats in the Brasilia after twelve months. So happy I almost sh_t myself. I had expected it to take four or five years. It took my father eighteen.
They're angry that they're flying a prop, while their ex-room-mate is flying a jet.
Prop, jet, ornithopter...I didn't care. It was an airliner!
They're angry that there is no flowthrough and that this precludes them from going directly to a major with no interview whatsoever.
Heck, if we'd had a flow-through, some Delta guy would be sitting in my seat right now. I didn't want it then, and I certainly don't want it now...or ever!

When I saw the second 767 hit the WTC, I said to myself, "self, you're going to retire as an ASA pilot...maybe in the left seat of a 70-seat jet, probably making about what dad was making in the left seat of the Nine at Eastern." You know what? There are a heckuva lot worse places to be.
They're angry that the pay and workrules they are operating under are not what they expected.
I wouldn't trust anybody who interviews without knowing about the pay and work rules of the company in question. I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. Besides, with the exception of the size of the paycheck, my working conditions are not much less than they would be at a major anyway, thanks in part to ALPA.

Angry? You know how I feel about my two-bit little regional job? Lucky! Seriously, galactically, f___ing lucky! Hey, I didn't get this job because I'm Chuck Yeager or John King. :D I was in exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

Just wanted you to know there are some of us "young guys" out here with some perspective.

Last edited:
Middle of the night rant....

I hesitated to write a reply to the original post, because I fit the young demographic in question. I was in middle school during the early 90's, attended an aviation university, and am now awaiting a class date with a large regional airline at the age of 24. And you know what...I AM THE LUCKIEST S.O.B. IN THE WORLD! I still love each and every minute in the air, whether in a C172, Baron, King Air, or whatever. I have been extraordinarily blessed thus far in my career, and hope that I never lose sight of why I got into this business to begin with.

Your generation, Furloughed Again and others, is the one that I revered as I was growing up. Remember that 10 year old kid with the ear to ear grin as he boarded your Beech 1900 in Bradford, PA in the dead of winter? That was me. I watched you as you performed your walk around and wanted to run out onto the ramp and ask you all kinds of questions about this strange looking bird. I was disappointed when you closed the cockpit curtain because I wanted to see everything that was going on up there in the front office. We lined up on the runway and the power from those mighty PT-6's pushed me back in my seat, and suddenly we were flying!!! The snowflakes were basked in an inte rmittent red light as we climbed into the night, on our way to Pittsburgh, "or wherever your final destination happens to be". It was that night that I knew for sure I never wanted to do anything else for a living. I was going to become an airline pilot.

I didn't know that night that you probably ate crackers from a vending machine for dinner because you couldn't afford a real meal, or that your 9 year old car was on its last leg without a replacement in sight. I didn't know that your ticket to the right seat of that 1900 included spending a few thousand hours flying cancelled checks or car parts in a decrepit old Apache or Baron. I found all that out later when I was mapping out my own course to the right seat, and you know what...I WAS STILL WILLING TO DO IT. A good economy and a huge amount of luck dictated that I didn't have to, and for that I am genuinely blessed. So here's my deal to you. First and foremost, I will remember how truly blessed I am to be flying for a living in whatever capacity it happens to be. I will remember the sacrifices you and others made to make it possible for me to sit in the right seat of an airliner under a contract which improves with each negotiation. I will show you the respect that you deserve for going through hell and back to get to where you are today and for working so hard to make the industry better for us all. In return, I ask only that you do not assume that just because I am young that I am a punk who feels I am entitled to something for nothing. Please continue to use the benefit of your experience to teach me the ins and outs of the industry and show me how to restore honor to our profession. It's a different ballgame with some different players, but the rules are still basically the same. We must work together in a symbiotic relationship to better the profession as a whole instead of focusing on our myopic little corners of it.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Open forums like this are an excellent means to gain different perspective and learn a little something about each other and the profession that we love. Everybody keep up the good work.

Latest resources

Back