Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United to choose Comair ground handling over SKW?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are SKW rampers an in-house union as well?

In Chicago? Only if Cripps, Bloods, Latin Kings and Gangster Disciples are considered unions.

The ramp in ORD is handled by United and Delta. The gangbangers work in DEN and LAX mostly.

They also closed Cedar City last year, only to get it back again

Not the same thing here. CDC closed because the EAS contract went to Mesa. Mesa
petitioned to get out of the contract and SkyWest bid and won.

I wonder how likely it will be that Comair becomes a regional affiliate for United now. Supposedly during bankrupsy Comair got the approval to solicit regional flying to airlines besides just Delta.

How do you like that, I posted a "rumor" about a company that I dont work for and the next day it is announced at the time I said it would be.
I rule!

I wonder how likely it will be that Comair becomes a regional affiliate for United now. Supposedly during bankrupsy Comair got the approval to solicit regional flying to airlines besides just Delta.

I wouldn't read too much into this. AWAC still does a fair bit of UAL ground-handling, after having had their flying cut off. That said, should Comair come in a penny cheaper......

According to the Skywest ramper in ABE this morning who was telling us all about it, Comair's bid was 40% lower than OO's..

Not to mention, the rampers get the shaft if they accept Skywest's transfer package.. If they choose to use that package, Skywest pays for the move, but they lose all seniority at that base. If they just transfer and pay for the move themselves, they get to keep their seniority.. how does that make any sense? OO closes your station and forces you to move, but you lose your seniority..

reminds me what Midwest did in MKE, fired all of there rampers, then replaced them with all skyway rampers for cheap.....o well

Actually, we lost 7 and gave up 9 for loss of economies of scale. And it's only a furlough for those who choose not to move; everybody has a job if they are willing to stay. While it has a generous 'suck' factor for the troops, it could be worse.

Why would anyone move for a regional ramp agent job? Seems to me the local McDonald's would offer competitive pay & benefits...and you wouldn't have glyclol in your hair after leaving work four months out of the year.

I doubt Skywest was undercuty by 40%. I can't imagine the profit margins in ground servicing are more than 10%.

Latest resources

Back