• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United to Charge Express Pilots to Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not quite accurate, the sword cuts on it' edge, I have the handle in my hands. I am OK with buying IDs for my leisure travel on anything except UAL/DAL, can the UAL/DAL pilots say they don't need my jumpseat? Because I don't need theirs. This isn't war it's an insurgent jihad, will every UAL/DAL pilot be denied the jumpseat, no, because on some days the numbers will work out, I will not violate the terms of the agreement, but make no mistake, I will do NOTHING to insure said UAL/DAL jumpseaters get into the J/S or seat in the back.
PBR

You don't need theirs but a lot of your fellow aviators do. But it's all about you isn't it?

BTW as a dude who put in 22 years in the service and a brother who has two tours on the ground in theater, I take slight offense to your silly "jihad" analogy.

I'm done with your sophomoric rants. Welcome to my ignore List.

Back to the original message....

Have any UAL drivers been informed on this?

FWIW I have been told three times (once per year) to PAY UP for a DL JS...

So if a non-mainline pilot must pay a fee to sit in the jumpseat then does that person become a paying pax? If so, how can a paying pax sit in the jumpseat?

A fee or surcharge is paid for a service provided by one and received by another. In this case the jumpseater is paying a fee to sit in a seat only available to company employees and not available to the public who also is paying for a seat. Does that mean they'll (the company) will charge a higher fee if the jumpseater is placed in First Class?

I wonder how the FAA would view this situation? The DOT know about it? Can the payee claim the expense on their annual tax return as a business expense? It's just wrong on so many levels!!!

Good luck to those this policy effects. What goes around sure will come around!!

ok just to clarify the situation here.
UAL is not charging for the jumpseat per se. And this affects EVERY JUMPSEATER not just UAX.
If there are seats open in the back you will have to ride back there and pay the appropriate fee. UAX pilots will be charged per their non-rev agreements. Pilots from other airlines (AA, DAL, FDX etc) will need a ZED ticket, ID90 whatever.
If you have to sit in the actual because there are no seats in the back.....no charge.

Either way it is screwed up!

What goes around does come around

ok just to clarify the situation here.
UAL is not charging for the jumpseat per se. And this affects EVERY JUMPSEATER not just UAX.
If there are seats open in the back you will have to ride back there and pay the appropriate fee. UAX pilots will be charged per their non-rev agreements. Pilots from other airlines (AA, DAL, FDX etc) will need a ZED ticket, ID90 whatever.
If you have to sit in the actual because there are no seats in the back.....no charge.

Either way it is screwed up!

It is screwed up!!!! You said it!! Yet another way of a management team turning a good thing into a large stack of SH*T.
Now does the non-rev pilot, sitting in the cabin, paying a fee become a paying pax? Would they receive the same service (or lack of) as a paying pax? If they are paying a fee for a service then do they fall under the same rights as a paying pax. Of course this is truly if they are off-duty (not a dead heading body) and going home. Does the same rights (or lack of) apply in there is an aircraft accident? Also, you guys should be able to claim all of these fees as a work related expense come every April.

It certainly is a slippery slope to be sitting upon as management is doing.

Good luck guys!!!

They are so going out of business. Talk about desperation. Pretty soon they will be passing a hat through the back of the aircraft asking for "donations" so they can fill up the airplane. And the plane does not move until there are enough "donations" in the hat to move the plane.

Pilots from other airlines (AA, DAL, FDX etc) will need a ZED ticket, ID90 whatever.

Please provide an official reference to the charging of offline jumpseaters for seats in the cabin. This sounds like BS to me.

If UAL management wants a jumpseat war, this is a good way to start it.

Last edited:
I dont want to cut and paste an internal memo from our president of SAPA (its a fake high school student government union I know), but it says it in plain english what I put in my own words on our internal forums which I will quote here:

----------------------------

So just to clarify:

The seat in the cockpit belongs to the FAA, therefore, it is free to sit in BUT,

No pilot can sit there unless there are no seats in the back, therefore,

if a jumpseater with any airline sits in a cabin seat they are going to pay,

US (skywest pilot)- non rev fee
other UEX UAL pilot- non rev fee
Other offline carrier - ZED/ID90

WOW - offline pilots are going to sure get our reciprocal agreements yanked like greased lightning the moment the first gate agent says "where's your ID90?"

-----------------------------------------

He says that united management said there are no unlimited jumpseats as all cabin seats belond to ual

I guess they are drawing a hard line in the sand (UAL)

Well F--K! UAL

-Goo

Latest resources

Back