• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United starts taking Pilot Apps on Monday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Remember, you're only one 9/11 away or a few a/c blown up away from being furlough fodder again. Have a plan B.
You can say that about any airline job...

Or bus drivers if they bomb a couple buses.

Or subway drivers if they bomb a couple subway tunnels.

Or...

You get the picture. A 9/11 is a poor excuse for making a career decision. The natural cycle of the industry, however, has continued for almost 3 decades now, and getting on early in an airline's hiring curve is, historically, the safest place to be.

But what do I know,,, I've only been furloughed twice and on airline #4. Never been caught on the bad-side of a hiring curve... noooo, not me. ;)

As sad as it be, its a given industry wide that first year pay is gonna suck no matter who your flying for, it be United , or Fed Ex, but is there any talk of fixxing 2nd year and up pay scales in the upcoming contract.....

I would like FedEx first year pay to be higher as well, but I wouldn't put it in the same sentence with United's first year pay. FedEx now pays $54/hour, and unless you stay on the panel that will at least double in 12 months.

Kind of reminds me of that scene from "Major League" when the GM calls Lou to see if he wants to manage the team.

General Manager: How would you like to manage the Indians this year?
Lou Brown: Gee, I don't know.......
General Manager: What do you mean? This is your chance to manage in the big leagues.
Lou Brown: Let me get back to you. I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

Perfect example :)

Anyone who applies to a legacy carrier that pays 31$ and hour should be ashamed of themselves. I am ashamed of them.

What an embarassment.

I wouldn't be ashamed of applicants although I am extremely ashamed of our contract pay rates agreed upon during bk...esspecially new hire pay rates. I'm guessing those rates weren't fought for that hard because no one imagined UAL recalling everyone that wanted to come back and then hiring on top of that before the amendable date.
Not long ago we did have an industry leading contract. That contract was gained by the many folks on our seniority list who were willing to fight until the company came back with that industry leading contract. We were beat up in bk. Not saying we couldn't have fought harder than we did because we could of but apathy ruled at the time. Our contract blows but we're going to do what it takes to get it improved sooner than later.

My dad retired off the 747 at United in July of 2001 (good timing, eh?). I'm currently an RJ captain itching to move on. I always wanted to work for United. My dad being there is what started me down this career path in the first place (would have gone military like dad, but my timing was all wrong).

I guess the point to my self-pity is that I wanted to go to United so bad I would have sold one of my children to get there 6 years ago. But right now, the idea of leaving my current position for United just isn't giving me a warm fuzzy. And it's not just the pay.

It just feels kind of weird having wanted this for such a long time, and now it's within my grasp. But I think I'd be a fool to apply right now.

Last edited:
My dad retired off the 747 at United in July of 2001 (good timing, eh?). I'm currently an RJ captain itching to move on. I always wanted to work for United. My dad being there is what started me down this career path in the first place (would have gone military like dad, but my timing was all wrong).

I guess the point to my self-pity is that I wanted to go to United so bad I would have sold one of my children to get there 6 years ago. But right now, the idea of leaving my current position for United just isn't giving me a warm fuzzy. And it's not just the pay.

It just feels kind of weird having wanted this for such a long time, and now it's within my grasp. But I think I'd be a fool to apply right now.

You and I are in the same boat. You're not alone.

This isn't your Dad's United.

Latest resources

Back