Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C5 Guy

13 July Flight Operations Hotline:

Hello, it's Hank Krakowski with a Hotline message for Friday, July 13 th . Today I wanted to fill you in on the status of our pilot hiring program. As Sean mentioned last month, United will begin hiring pilots later this year - the first time since 2001.
Next week, at 1201 a.m. Central Time on Monday, July 16 th , the application process for new pilots will go “live” on united.com. Because the new pilots will be our next generation of flight officers, we're looking for the very best.
Historically, as you know, United employees have been tremendously helpful in identifying great pilot candidates, so we are encouraging incumbent United pilots to refer those who would be good pilots and prideful representatives of the company.
The referral process is simple. You just fill out a referral form on SkyNet from one of two locations:
  • First, you can go to “Department,” then “Flight Operations,” and then to the “Pilot Referral Form.”
  • Or, alternatively, you can go to “Career Gateway,” then “Job Forms You Need,” then “Pilot Referral Form.”
You will then be asked a few important and relevant questions – such as how long you've known the candidate, how often you may have flown with the candidate, and how you would rate his or her skills, as well as why you believe he or she would make a good pilot for us.
Please be aware that it is important that you match your referral with the job candidate. The candidate must already have submitted an application before you submit your referral. It is also critical that you reference the same email address that the candidate used to complete his or her online application.
Based on the candidate's application and flight qualifications, we will choose the top candidates to move forward in the selection process. As we said earlier, we expect to hire up to 100 pilots by the end of the year.
Also, over 175 current line pilots applied to become interview captains. From an outstanding group of 36 candidates, representing a wide cross-section of line captains, we will be selecting 12 to become full-time interview captains. I want to thank every pilot who volunteered to participate in the selection process.
We're very excited about this and look forward to having you send us the best and brightest candidates.
That's it for today. We thank you and fly safe.

Good Luck to anyone interested.:beer:

I love how these airlines feel that they are entitled to "the best of the best" when they treat their pilots like something stuck to the bottom of their shoes and pay them accordingly. F-united, and the rest of them. They've got nothing to offer.

Why would anyone go to United now? In a couple years, maybe, but definitely not now.
Can you say furlough FOD?!?!

Just another slap in the face to the furloughees who spent 5+ years on the street and went back. They will find themselves just a handful of numbers ahead of a shinney new mint FO who probably started in this industry the year we were all hired there. And for the ones who were still "half-wingers" you will be on the same first year pay of $31 and hour as these new guys. No furlough credit like ERP 1 and 2 promised will be a source on contention for years to come.

For all of those who are going to give it a try, good luck. I hope United provides for you and your family better than it did mine.

Why would anyone go to United now? In a couple years, maybe, but definitely not now.
Can you say furlough FOD?!?!
Actually, that depends on what happens with UAL.

If they don't merge with anyone and the survive their financial issues, getting hired on NOW would be better than a couple of years down the road.

Guys hired a few years from now are the furlough fodder. Guys hired in the beginning of a hiring phase, historically, have been OK, 9/11 notwithstanding.

That said, you wouldn't find me anywhere NEAR a UAL Scantron unless I was working for HoJets or one of those new bottom-feeder Airbus outfits and had no better options...

I'm sure they'll get the usual 10,000+ applicants in the first week, only 1,000 of which are actually qualified for the position.

Any application fee this time around?

When does the current contract expire?

As sad as it be, its a given industry wide that first year pay is gonna suck no matter who your flying for, it be United , or Fed Ex, but is there any talk of fixxing 2nd year and up pay scales in the upcoming contract.....

I might put in an app, don't think I would go but could use the practice. Lets hope it does get better and some of the guys and girls that have been there for a while get what they deserve in the next round of negotioations.

Latest resources

Back