• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United posts $779 million loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's what I read into it: Midway should be closed to transport category and SWA ought to be banned from O'Hare AND any new Chicago airport for 25 years. That ought to make up for the WA..in Chicago!...then let's do the same in Dallas and Houston. Then let's see a chart and check in with the airline analysts on both SWA and UAL. How would that look?

How do you think your airline got so good? Great mgt alone didn't do it.

the Wright (Wrong) Amendment is GONE...no mo...adios bruh-tha...and it ain't coming back.

You say "Let's do the same in DAL and HOU" You and who else? How about, Let's see the look on your congressman's face when you take this one to his office.

Good luck with that. BTW, shouldn't there have been a Braniff connection here somewhere?

Just had the opportunity to sit next to our former CEO last weekend to HNL and we talked for several hours(mostly about non airline related things). He said one interesting thing regarding SWA. He said that he sure is glad he is not running that place. He described it like this. "what would you do if you and I were in the simulator and I leveled the 767 off at 1,000 feet and ran the speed up through the red line then started climbing on the red line until we were going straight up. Then, as the speed bled off at a rapid rate and we were approaching a stall, I let go and say 'your airplane'." He says that is the position Gary is in being handed a company run by Herb for all these years with robust groth etc. and having all that come to a halt while you are in the CEO chair. Interesting take on the situation.

IAHERJ

Red dog beat me to it about bailouts

RE: Bailouts. Some bailout money went to all of us. That was a small amount not worth discussing. The real money was the ATSB, and that was the bailout that never happened for UAL. Look guys, you shouldn't have to work for UAL (I do not BTW) to realize that being turned down TWICE for a loan after what they went through was wrong. Very wrong. If that had been darling SWA the ATSB would have given you everything you asked for. The first time!! It's a glaring disparity that should not exist.

Well you may not agree with me and some do and don't. This is a cut throat industry. If every airline does great and everyone made money, life would be great. Well the simple fact is that this is not the case. Some companies are going to beat others for one of them to succeed. There is no other way about it. I just want my team to win. Plain and simple. Call it callous, call it ignorant.... call it honest. If the shoes were changed I would be pissed just like you and you would ringing the bell like me. I just hope that never happens. The fact that this is not a personal thing...it is a business thing. We keep forgetting that.

I think I already know how you'll answer this, but I'll ask anyway: Would you rather lose a fair fight, or cheat a win? Personally, I would rather lose a fair fight. Because in that case it's perfectly clear why you have lost. I think it sucks to lose and have no idea why. I wouldn't wish it on anybody, frankly. Not even SWA. So to that end, the way you want to characterize things, you're going to end up losing and it will be ugly. You can't say it will never happen. "Never" is a long damm time my friend. It'll happen. This is the airline business. It will be ugly, you're going to squeal like a pig, and then claim you have no idea why things got so personal.

I just hope that when United fails, ALPA will make sure and have a National Seniority List in place so that all the pilots at United can move into other airlines with no QOL loss and displace others. I support that plan like age 65, it has been a real positive impact on my life financially.

It will be ugly, you're going to squeal like a pig, and then claim you have no idea why things got so personal.

You mean like you are right now? Bring it baby. You're right. Forever is a long damn time and it must be getting old eating our dust. See you in Minnie.

ciao,
Gup

Latest resources

Back