• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United posts $779 million loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's what I read into it: Midway should be closed to transport category and SWA ought to be banned from O'Hare AND any new Chicago airport for 25 years. That ought to make up for the WA..in Chicago!...then let's do the same in Dallas and Houston. Then let's see a chart and check in with the airline analysts on both SWA and UAL. How would that look?

How do you think your airline got so good? Great mgt alone didn't do it.

Moron, who do you think decided to serve those other airports. Maybe that was management!! Its called business get a little clue. With your same ignorant logic...lets let United go bye bye! How old are you 13 or something?

To the smart folks that work at United that was not directed towards you. Nor do I agree with Reddog. That is a pretty stupid statement.

Last edited:
So the question is, How much cash does United have in reserve and how long can they stretch it out? I watched TWA hold on for upwards of 15 yrs before they folded. The city of STL bought their assets and convinced local businesses to pre-purchase tickets to help keep them alive. United has business interests in SFO, DEN, IAD and those cities would also fight to help keep them alive. The jobs and taxes that United generates are worth fighting for to those politicians, especially in the current economic environment. I think the prediction of United's imminent demise is a bit premature.

Good luck guys. Hang in there.

Cheers

Moron, who do you think decided to serve those other airports. Maybe that was management!! Its called business get a little clue. With your same ignorant logic...lets let United go bye bye! How old are you 13 or something?

To the smart folks that work at United that was not directed towards you. Nor do I agree with Reddog. That is a pretty stupid statement.

Maybe we should have let SWA go all those years ago?! Is that any different than you wishing to scuttle UAL now? SWA sold planes to make payroll; If Braniff hadn't been kicked out SWA would have been gone.

Here's the deal: UAL (and other legacies) can not get good managers because no one worthwhile wants to manage against the disparity YOUR airline seems to require to operate. (You needed the WA? Got it. Wanted it gone? Gone) Here's an idea: Give UAL an equivilant advantage in either Denver or Chicago to what SWA got in Dallas all those years ago. Make it last a good 20-25 years. You'd see GT gone in an instant and some decent management want to jump on board. And I bet good money you'd see a bunch of mgrs leave SWA. They'd know how to exploit that sort of deal for certain.

I sick of having the argument if SWA didn't have love field and had to compete on level playing fields. Other companies can,could, did and do serve Love field. They would be limited to the same restrictions. Only connecting service. Prior to that only the surrounding states. It is the SWA model that works not the fact no competition at Love. USair owns CLT there not making money. NWA in MSP and DTW. The point is you develop a model that works pretty good in the good times to survive the bad. SWA has proved that time and time again.

I sick of having the argument if SWA didn't have love field and had to compete on level playing fields. Other companies can,could, did and do serve Love field. They would be limited to the same restrictions.

SWA has had some tough times not unlike UAL is in now. If UAL got the same boost SWA did back in Dallas, SWA would be squealing like a stuck pig.

Sad and ignorant.

Well you may not agree with me and some do and don't. This is a cut throat industry. If every airline does great and everyone made money, life would be great. Well the simple fact is that this is not the case. Some companies are going to beat others for one of them to succeed. There is no other way about it. I just want my team to win. Plain and simple. Call it callous, call it ignorant.... call it honest. If the shoes were changed I would be pissed just like you and you would ringing the bell like me. I just hope that never happens. The fact that this is not a personal thing...it is a business thing. We keep forgetting that.

SWA has had some tough times not unlike UAL is in now. If UAL got the same boost SWA did back in Dallas, SWA would be squealing like a stuck pig.

what about the post 9-11 bailouts....I think that is a big boost UAL got.....your argument is worthless.

Would that boost to UAL be in the form of bailout money the gov. gave the carriers that were going or had gone bankrupt a few years ago? Billions of tax payers dollars to companies that don't have to pay bills cause of mismanagement yet compete with healthy companies. That boost doesn't seem to level the playing field as well. Just a thought. The fact is SWA model and cost structure allowed them to keep the tickets prices as low as those carriers trying to win back market share who didn't pay bills. the ones that couldn't declared bankruptcy as well-DAL and NWA. No Doubt having no direct competition at Love sure didn't hurt them years ago when a struggling airline was trying to survive, but that 3 city only TX flying airline is long gone. Too bad though, I would love to see the hot pants and go-go boots back.

Latest resources

Back