United Pilot to Upset to Fly!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hats?
Ahhhh, the things Check Airmen wear so you can see them comming from 100 yards away.
What a hard-a$$. Good to know alpa has such long teeth. I bet that mgmt puke was scared sh!tless.

I don't understand why people actually think the hat switch is a bad idea. How does the hat switch HURT their cause? As a United pilot walks through the terminal, he knows who is not doing what he is supposed to be doing by a simple glance at the hat.

Is this the ONLY thing the UAL MEC is doing?? Obviously not, so you can stop posting ridiculous comments about the hat not feeding your family, etc. What it is, however, is a visual statement to the pilot group that you stand unified. It also shows management that the pilots will do what the MEC says, so when the MEC says "don't bother going to work today," the company knows that it will happen.

It is a relief to see that at least someone gets it/is smart enough to read between the lines. Maybe whataburger could learn something. In his defense though he doesn't work for an airline with crap for management so his point of reference may be off.

What can be learned? That every contract give-back that alpa is faced with, the vote will be 60/40 for? What have you learned in your airline experience, oh wise one?

Yes, because I'm sure your group would be much more brave if faced with liquidation. :rolleyes:

Yes, because I'm sure your group would be much more brave if faced with liquidation. :rolleyes:

In hindsight, maybe scope wasn't worth $300/hr. Although I'm sure it worked out ok for the guys at the top.

I've been with two alpo carriers. I was faced with 3 total give-back votes. I voted NO all 3 times. Each "new" contract was passed 60/40. One company liquidated anyway. Mgmt knows that pilots act tough, are scared for their careers, will vote YES down to minimum wage, and will sacrifice their young to take care of #1. Pilot give-backs WILL NOT save a company. I believe that AA is the only company that is pissed-off enough and have gonads large enough to burn the church down. On the other hand other carriers print stickers and remove their hats. Good luck to everyone, this industry takes no prisoners.

I've been with two alpo carriers. I was faced with 3 total give-back votes. I voted NO all 3 times. Each "new" contract was passed 60/40. One company liquidated anyway. Mgmt knows that pilots act tough, are scared for their careers, will vote YES down to minimum wage, and will sacrifice their young to take care of #1. Pilot give-backs WILL NOT save a company. I believe that AA is the only company that is pissed-off enough and have gonads large enough to burn the church down. On the other hand other carriers print stickers and remove their hats. Good luck to everyone, this industry takes no prisoners.

And the only reason why you are comfortable is when it is time for chow, the troops sit down to a nice LUV meal. Take the nice chow away and......

The hate mail that was being distributed between pilots at LUV during the Age 60/65 deal is a clear indication of what can happen at WN if things ever get contentious. (I don't think they will).

A little objectivity on your part might be in order...

The best way to get management's attention is to hurt the bottom line.
Like cancelling a flight? This guys ONE action of cancelling a flight did MORE to get management's attention than the goofy Hat protest. ALPA should be taking notes.

Sidenote: Kudos to this guy for cancelling the trip

No. Don't roll over. However, being in a union has nothing to do wth wearing or not wearing your hat. That's easy compared to actually risking it all and going out on strike.
Exactly. Go ahead and tally up how many "Pipe-Hittin" Union "Brothers" aren't wearing their hats. Now, tell them all to shave their heads, as a show of further solidarity (much like bootcamp - You're not individuals, but a group...ya know?) How many WOULDN'T? Answer: I'd Bet Most.

Point: Wearing/Not wearing a hat is a poor indicator of Unity.

Many of the guys not wearing hats WILL vote for paycuts.

And it will ALWAYS be this way...and it's ONE reason why ALPA is very ineffective.

The hate mail that was being distributed between pilots at LUV during the Age 60/65 deal is a clear indication of what can happen at WN if things ever get contentious. (I don't think they will).

A little objectivity on your part might be in order...

I never saw any hate mail. Indeed, we did have some old farts and young whippersnappers arguing like they were in jr. high. However, nobody met anyone at the bikeracks. If you have a churchgroup of 6000 folks, there will still be infighting. The important part is that when the smoke clears, we all kiss and make up.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back