• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Pilot to Upset to Fly!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been saying all along pilots are to blame for their low wages, thankfully you agree.

Bull$h!t. Our hats are to blame. Lose the hat, throw off the yoke; what could be simpler?

If that doesn't work maybe we could explore the possibility that unprecedented fuel prices as a percentage of CASM = unprecedented leverage. Just sayin'....

The first call this guy makes when he gets called to the carpet and disciplined for his hissy fit will be to the union he doesn't support.:rolleyes:

Hat trickery...LOL! Don't let it fool you. Time to grow up and not be distracted from the main issues! Feel good moves like this won't feed your family. Unity??

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2008-06-20-upset-united-pilot_N.htm
OK!!!!

United canceled a flight from Salt Lake City Thursday afternoon after the pilot announced to passengers that he was too upset to fly, according to one passenger on board.
The pilot, who may have been involved in a labor-related dispute with colleagues, said that he didn't feel he could fly safely, said Paul Jacobson, an energy company executive who was aboard United Flight 416 to Denver.
United spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said in an e-mailed statement that the flight was canceled according to company procedures designed to ensure flight crews are prepared to fly. The airline re-accommodated its customers on other flights and will give them "goodwill gestures," which may include miles and travel certificates, she said.
Urbanski declined to identify the pilot or provide details of the incident, but she did not dispute the passenger's account.
"We will conduct a full investigation of the events leading up to the cancellation and take appropriate, necessary action," she wrote in the e-mail.

David Kelly, a spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association, which represents United pilots, said the union won't comment on the incident.
The Federal Aviation Administration says it's up to the airlines to determine when and how pilots can walk away from the cockpit if they feel unfit to fly. "But we'd expect that if the pilots aren't fit to fly, they would not fly," said FAA spokeswoman Alison Duquette.
Jacobson said he saw the pilot in a heated cellphone conversation at the gate before he boarded, and overheard the pilot saying that "he was going to complain to the union."
After the passengers were seated, the pilot made his announcement.
"I'm roughly paraphrasing here, but the pilot came on the PA and said, 'some of you may have witnessed an incident I was involved in at the gate. I'm not going to go into the details, but it was an interpersonal confrontation that upset me significantly to the point where I'm not focused enough to fly you to Denver. I feel like I may not be calmed and focused enough to fly to Denver for another hour,' " Jacobson said.
The passengers reacted to the pilot's announcement with a collective groan. "I'm going to give him credit for standing in front of people and saying that," Jacobson added. "Still it was a very unusual situation."
Passengers were allowed to get off the plane until it was ready to leave, and most people did so after the announcement, Jacobson said.
Jacobson said another passenger questioned the crew and that passenger told him the incident stemmed from crewmembers from another United flight observing the pilot wearing his hat. United's pilots union has been urging pilots to remove their hats when they "are likely to be viewed by management," as a form of protest, according to a notice on ALPA's website.
"In the concourse, on the jetway, wherever. Show solidarity with your fellow pilots, show management our solidarity. Don't wear your hat," it says.
In a statement dated Jan. 15, the union instructed members to adopt the practice because "now is the time to show management that this pilot group is serious about regaining what was stripped from us during bankruptcy."
Hundreds of United employees, including pilots, flight attendants and machinists, rallied last week in Southern California to protest the management's decision to set aside stock worth about $130 million to fund a new incentive plan for executives while the company plans to cut routes and lay off up to 1,600 employees.
"I fly United a lot and I understand that they're operating under difficult circumstances. And they do a good job. But it's one thing to suffer from mechanical failure or bad weather, but it's quite another when internal strife rises to flight cancellation," Jacobson said.
He called his corporate travel manager, who rebooked him on a Southwest flight. United informed Jacobson that he will be reimbursed for the leg of the trip, about $120.

Its always interesting to me how guys who don't wear their hats have a problem with guys who do wear the hat...

In this case I can only imagine how someone having a bad day gave this guy a hard time, if thats even what happened.

Good call. The best way to get management's attention is to hurt the bottom line. Because if they are forced into Ch. 11 again or even Ch. 7, management is screwed!!!

But of course in the event of Ch 7, labor has "won?"

I don't understand why people actually think the hat switch is a bad idea. How does the hat switch HURT their cause? As a United pilot walks through the terminal, he knows who is not doing what he is supposed to be doing by a simple glance at the hat.

Is this the ONLY thing the UAL MEC is doing?? Obviously not, so you can stop posting ridiculous comments about the hat not feeding your family, etc. What it is, however, is a visual statement to the pilot group that you stand unified. It also shows management that the pilots will do what the MEC says, so when the MEC says "don't bother going to work today," the company knows that it will happen.

Your grammar isn't nothing to brag about as well...

I feel compelled to point out (since it's a THREAD title) that the United pilot was "too" upset to fly, not "to" upset.

Is is really to hard <wink> to ask for good grammar in the thread titles?

Exhibit A:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=1614145#post1614145

Soverytired wrote:
"Brother, I hear you. It's very unfortunate that recency of experience can often times trump quality and length of overall experience.

And silly too. A 10,000 hour pilot isn't going to suffer much from a 6-12 month break. But it DOES force him to jump in to the real crap jobs just to keep "currency"."

Starting a sentence with "and" as well as an incomplete sentence. I think you misused the "too" in this sentence that you accused the other poster of doing (should be "to").
People in glass houses..............:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back