• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United outsourcing pilot jobs with codeshare

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I notice that the guys complaining about the regionals have regional a/c in their profile. So, I'm guessing when you flew at a regional it was okay, but now you're on the other side of the fence you want to blame the regionals.

The CFI to regional to major model hasn't changed in decades. The only difference is the a/c being flown at the regionals. The part some of you forget is the new pilots have nothing to do what kind of a/c the regionals are now flying. Just like you had no control over that Brasillia or Metro.

I understand your anger and frustration, but it is misplaced. You can blame the senior guys for scope concessions. You can blame deregulation. You can blame the economy. You can blame whatever you want except the new guys. You were here first, therefore you are partly responsible for the way things are. All the new guys are doing is living with what the old guys created.

Pile-on to what Caveman said here. Bluefin, were you a whore when you worked for 11.50 an hour as a regional pilot? Were you stealing mainline flying as PIC of your Brasilia? If not, why? Didn't you fly your E120 in the colors of the mainline? Do you think that AZO-PIT or DTW-LAN were really commuter routes so it was OK? Just about everything with the exception of some EAS stuff was once flown by mainline pilots in BAC 111s, DC9-10s, even (gasp) CV-580s and DC-3s. But it was ok when you needed to do it because your jet engine drove a really big external fan, right? Pot, meet kettle.

If you've been at UA for 14 years then you've certainly had your chance to give away aircraft and scope. What did you do to stop it? Were you outraged when Air Wisconsin flew BAE-146s and UFS flew gigantic ATPs? Or did it not matter since you were making decent money flying 737s? You say you had no individual power to stop it?!

Guess what, neither do the young guys coming up today. My former regional started out flying BE-99s and is now the borg known as RAH. I know it's frustrating listening to a young punk try to educate you on the industry. But we all know the kids that actually think that are few and far between. Most are trying to come up the same way you did, but your Metroliner and Brasilia have morphed into an E170.

Don't you think guys starting today would rather fly a SAAB or Jetstream for 2-3 years knowing there was actually a decent paying job waiting for them at the end?

As long as they are paying ALPA dues it is not outsourcing. I may have missed it somewhere, but I have yet to see ALPA say anything about the many Legacy pilots losing their jobs to lower paying regionals. If this is not a conflict of interest on ALPA'S part than I don't know what is.
OK Guys how the HELL is this ALPA's fault? Pilots if you want to blame someone, look in the DAMN mirror! We are the ones at fault. We pilots when it comes to negotiations and voting on a contract, we go to one section and that is pay! I believe and always have that the most important aspect of a CONTRACT is SCOPE, that is job protection! But for a few extra hourly pay dollars we sell out and give up our scope. We can't blame ALPA because we vote on this crap and accept it. So look in the mirror guys because our greed and selfishness has put us in this outsourcing mania.

I notice that the guys complaining about the regionals have regional a/c in their profile. So, I'm guessing when you flew at a regional it was okay, but now you're on the other side of the fence you want to blame the regionals.

The CFI to regional to major model hasn't changed in decades. The only difference is the a/c being flown at the regionals. The part some of you forget is the new pilots have nothing to do what kind of a/c the regionals are now flying. Just like you had no control over that Brasillia or Metro.

I understand your anger and frustration, but it is misplaced. You can blame the senior guys for scope concessions. You can blame deregulation. You can blame the economy. You can blame whatever you want except the new guys. You were here first, therefore you are partly responsible for the way things are. All the new guys are doing is living with what the old guys created.
I started in the airline industry at the regionals myself. I don't blame the regionals for any of this. I blame the mainline guys that sold themselves short on giving up scope to gain a few extra dollars. Back in the 90s, if the Delta pilots had insisted through negotiations on the 50 seat jet being flown at Delta, maybe things would be different today. If management wanted the airplane because the consumers wanted them, then there is a rate at which they could operate them and turn a profit. Mainline pilots should have demanded it! We started outsourcing our jobs then, and now the planes have gotten larger. See the senority based system breeds this kind of mentality. "It breeds the I got mine and it can't affect me mentality"! The more senior you become the more you think I can't be touched attitude!
Even if it means a loss of a few dollars, guys we've got to fight for scope. There is nothing wrong with Delta, United, American, US Airways, and Continental flying the E-170/190, CRJ-700/900 or even the CRJ200 and EMB-145. There is nothing wrong with those aircraft being the junior aircraft. But at least the outscourcing would stop!

I started in the airline industry at the regionals myself. I don't blame the regionals for any of this. I blame the mainline guys that sold themselves short on giving up scope to gain a few extra dollars. Back in the 90s, if the Delta pilots had insisted through negotiations on the 50 seat jet being flown at Delta, maybe things would be different today. If management wanted the airplane because the consumers wanted them, then there is a rate at which they could operate them and turn a profit. Mainline pilots should have demanded it! We started outsourcing our jobs then, and now the planes have gotten larger. See the senority based system breeds this kind of mentality. "It breeds the I got mine and it can't affect me mentality"! The more senior you become the more you think I can't be touched attitude!
Even if it means a loss of a few dollars, guys we've got to fight for scope. There is nothing wrong with Delta, United, American, US Airways, and Continental flying the E-170/190, CRJ-700/900 or even the CRJ200 and EMB-145. There is nothing wrong with those aircraft being the junior aircraft. But at least the outscourcing would stop!

AMEN!

Pile-on to what Caveman said here. Bluefin, were you a whore when you worked for 11.50 an hour as a regional pilot? Were you stealing mainline flying as PIC of your Brasilia? If not, why? Didn't you fly your E120 in the colors of the mainline? Do you think that AZO-PIT or DTW-LAN were really commuter routes so it was OK? Just about everything with the exception of some EAS stuff was once flown by mainline pilots in BAC 111s, DC9-10s, even (gasp) CV-580s and DC-3s. But it was ok when you needed to do it because your jet engine drove a really big external fan, right? Pot, meet kettle.

If you've been at UA for 14 years then you've certainly had your chance to give away aircraft and scope. What did you do to stop it? Were you outraged when Air Wisconsin flew BAE-146s and UFS flew gigantic ATPs? Or did it not matter since you were making decent money flying 737s? You say you had no individual power to stop it?!

Guess what, neither do the young guys coming up today. My former regional started out flying BE-99s and is now the borg known as RAH. I know it's frustrating listening to a young punk try to educate you on the industry. But we all know the kids that actually think that are few and far between. Most are trying to come up the same way you did, but your Metroliner and Brasilia have morphed into an E170.

Don't you think guys starting today would rather fly a SAAB or Jetstream for 2-3 years knowing there was actually a decent paying job waiting for them at the end?

The problem is that the definition of "regional aircraft" has been so warped. A 34 seat turbo-prop hardly competed with a 737. It was a "feed" aircraft and one could easily create the compelling argument that by bringing more passengers into the hubs, turbo-props actually created more mainline jobs. That gave commuter pilot a place to interview with and move up into. Now the kid fresh out of school is flying a 90 seat jet. It's a no-brainer for the management types to transfer flying away from the mainline aircraft. In the mean time, who's making small "feed" turbo-props? Whose buying them? Nobody

The RJs should have been operated by the mainline companies but the unions were willing to give that flying away because they were too proud to flying those "toy" airplanes and didn't see a 50 seater as a threat. They foolishly assumed the passengers would demand long legs be flown by large aircraft and the airlines would give passengers what they wanted. They assumed wrong. Don't feel bad, Boeing didn't take them seriously either.

The present day "Regional Jets" aren't regional jets at all. When a plane carries 80-90 passengers half way across the country and has the name United, Northwest, or who ever on the side of it, that aircraft should be owned and operated by the same group of pilots that fly the larger aircraft. The problem is how do you bridge that gap and merge the seniority lists? Prior to 9/11, Eagle asked AA if they would consider merging the lists and the APA laughed the "regional trash" asses out of the building. After 9/11, during the furloughs, AA came to EGL and wanted to merge the lists. All EGL pilots would be stapled to the bottom. All AA pilots would be brought back from furlough, displacing most of the EGL pilots. They said it was a great deal because one day EGL pilots would be on mainline aircraft. The sucker punch was that AA, after merging the lists, wanted the right to hire pilots above the EGL pilots because, "it wasn't right for guys to come out of the squadron and have to go to the right seat of a Saab, junior to all of those kids at Eagle". Good luck, UAL, you'll need it.

BINGO!! 100% Correct!!!

Force the Issue!

Civil Disobedience...but it requires leadership, and sacrifice....

Semper Fidelis

Last edited:
SCOPE
if it sold as a ticket on UAL, NWA, DAL or whatever then it should be flown by those employee's

Ask SWA how the code share is going to help them.
no growth but yet revenue will increase with more miles flown by others at lower wages and benefits.
It's all contract work now Boys, negotiate what you can for your self.

If I Buy a ticket on nwa to go MSP to TPA I want NWA, not compass,mesaba, asa, delta, pinnacle, ect.
Maybe I just stuborn.

Latest resources

Back