• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just because a pilot is qualified for job, does not equal you are liked. Mannerisms and personality carry far more weight. I like to look at body language to see if someone is trying to BS me.

I think what we are seeing with D-Bo is an unfortunate by-product of affirmative action. Here is a totaly qualified black pilot who worked his way up and shouldn't have to answer to anyone, but the reality is is that because affirmative action has allowed some (not all) very low time, inexperienced pilots into the ranks of the majors, this "label" now sticks to all minorities, to which they spend a lifetime defending. That doesn't sound fun to me.

Yes there was a time and place for affirmative action. The cycle of excluding minorities had to be broken somehow, but I think now is the time it should be ended.

If I was a black or female pilot with the type of quals. as D-Bo, I would be pissed that others were getting hired because of their race or sex and not their experience. It tarnishes all the rest of the minorities reputations, and that shadow of doubt seems to never leave.

Get rid of affirmative action and no one can ever say you got hired for any other reason except that you were qualified for the job.

Race or sex shouldn't even be on the app.

Excellent post. I believe your educated thoughts are shared by most. I have many life-long friends who, minority and females alike, are exceptionally gifted, talented and hard-working. I can honestly say some of the best pilots I've flown with fall under this 'category' (sounds awkward doesn't it?) They generally resent the unfair labels placed on them and the insult that affirmative action represents. They have to live with the mindset every day. There was a day when, due to segregation and racism, it certainly had its place. But we cannot carry these programs and ideologies forever. It's time we move on and level the playing field for all. Even the Supreme Court has ruled Affirmative Action Programs as reverse discrimination. Martin Luther King dreamt of a day when all people would be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. Let it be so.

I'm not a huge fan of big gov't and it's intrusion in societal affairs as it tends to only make matters worse. It creates a whole new generation of resentment and the associated prejudices/racism that comes with it.

Lowering the bar for these talented people not only represents an insult, even worse, it serves to crush the human drive that made this the great country that it is. It tells our minorities to not work hard...that they'll get the job anyway. It's a tough global market out there; we must use all the talent we can muster as a society.

D1

Last edited:
That's why the 1000PIC TURBINE min at other airlines makes so much sense.

Pretty hard to point a finger at a person with PIC turbine and say "You didn't earn the right to be here."

That's why the 1000PIC TURBINE min at other airlines makes so much sense.

Pretty hard to point a finger at a person with PIC turbine and say "You didn't earn the right to be here."

It is also pretty hard to point the finger at the 11,000 hour pilot with 6000 hours jet thats happen to have less than 1000 hours PIC turbine and say your not qualified, but some airlines do. Hiring minimums are some of the most retarded things I have seen over the years. They should strive to hire good people period. Time means very little. There are some very crappy pilots out there with 20,000 hours and some very good pilots with 500 hours.

It will be really interesting to see where the U.S. airline industry will be in the next few years, considering the fact that the U.S. is making fewer goods that nobody around the world wants, and we suck up every item that is made overseas. Hold on, cabotage here we come.

It will be really interesting to see where the U.S. airline industry will be in the next few years, considering the fact that the U.S. is making fewer goods that nobody around the world wants, and we suck up every item that is made overseas. Hold on, cabotage here we come.

Bush can outsource us to mexico and china.

Already being discussed, right here on the Purple Planet.

make sure you have a college degreee.
That really makes the difference in your capability of been a pilot...................
And if you graduate overseas, forget it!! your degree is worthless. We here are smarter than you!!!!!!!!

ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back