• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Furloughs 290 More Pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is this the second furlough for anyone? That can get pretty tough.

YES.....except for the 300 nehires in 2006-2007 the rest are ALL DOUBLE FURLOUGHS

YES.....except for the 300 nehires in 2006-2007 the rest are ALL DOUBLE FURLOUGHS

Even many of the 300 new hires were DOUBLE FURLOUGHS. I can think of at least a half dozen ATA guys that had just gone through a shutdown. The only thing worse than getting furloughed from UAL twice, is leaving a stable, higher paying position at a different airline to go to United when they knew damned well in advance that they were gonna park those airplanes. They didn't pull that out of thin air one Friday over cocktails at Happy Hour.

There never should have been 300 new hires in the first place.

" A lesson learned is a past remembered"

One of the many problems with this industry - you never know when or with which company(s) to apply the lessons learned!

One of my lucky good ones: While layed off from ATI in 2001 and after shutting the original Southern Air Transport down, I stuck with Emery and said "thanks but no thanks" to DHL Airways offer for an interview. Shortly thereafter, Emery furloughed and shut down, and I got recalled by ATI. Somehow, we've survived this maelstrom and Astar is being torn down as we speak. I was apparently never lucky (or good...) enough to be hired by any of the majors, but I've definitely been lucky enough to be unemployed for only short periods.

Hope all the UAL, CAL, and everyone else currently or soon to be looking fare far better or at least no worse than that! My heart goes out to you all.

One more thing: what was the reference to age 62 a few posts back?

[

One more thing: what was the reference to age 62 a few posts back?[/QUOTE]

I think the Age 62 was in reference to the eligibility age for social security. Since the change in the retirement age, those that were allowed to continue flying will start hitting age 62 in December. I think people are hoping that when they hit 62 1/2 (or whatever the age is) that they will retire from the airlines and some of the furloughed guys will have seats to fill.

Latest resources

Back