• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Furloughs 290 More Pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One more thing: what was the reference to age 62 a few posts back?
There was an exception that many pilots would retire at at 62 since that is the age when folks can start drawing social security benefits. This was based upon the assumption that many pilots had conducted their personal financial planning on retirement at age 60, and anything more than that is just a bonus.

Of course, with the market crash the nest egg of all those pilots took a serious hit so age 62 retirements have been minimal.

That was about the only thing I could think of, but it got me to wondering if anything else was about to be legislated upon us!

This is not meant toward any one poster. Just some people in the past I have known din't seem to understand some of the timeline.

Of course no one here at F.I.

Isn't it so that there have been minimal age 62 retirements because the affected pilots haven't reached their 62nd birthday yet; so those age 62 benefits mentioned aren't available to them yet?

I don't think age 62 quality of life retirements will happen until Dec 2009 because the legislation was voted in during Dec 2007.

From.... what was it..... Dec 6th or 7th 2007 the pilots that were staying on flying were the ones that hit their 60th birthday after the legislation had been signed in by the president.

I remember telling a high ranking Union respected pilot on a concourse in MEM right after it was signed and his face lit up because he then didn't have to worry how to pay medical tilll age 62.

This next part more than one person I have talked to were confused about....... before the legislation signed those affected pilots would have normally been retiring on the day they turned 60.
Not the day they reached 61. Meaning they couldn't fly after they reached their 60th birthday..

Not that it matters but I agree with the nest egg theory... but hmmm even i at 43 with nothing in the bank would like to sit down for a while under a pretty tree and rest even if I have to drive an old car and downsize my living quarters and not have such a big monthly living expense.

Last edited:
Is this the second furlough for anyone? That can get pretty tough.

Especially when all your flying has been give to express and then you have those guys telling us if we want to follow our jobs we need/should start at the bottom, "cause everyone's gotta pay their dues".

It would be nice if the consideration given past generations of marginalized ALPA pilots would prevail in these times. Both Prater and Babbitt's former pilot groups soaked up strike pay funded through ALPA assessments paid by the entire membership. That sort of penalty should be leveraged against these age 60+ pilots' earnings. Especially the guys who took strike pay. How about a little responsibility go with that extra senority?

Ask a CAL striker about Prater.

Last edited:
I think it said these were previously announced, right? These pilots did know about it, and this isn't a new announcement, right? Just getting the facts straight. Good luck to all of those involved.

Bye Bye--General Lee

yeah, that makes it all better....

I guess I could have stated my first post a little clearer, but I in no way would ever make fun of any furloughed pilots. I was just trying to ask if this announcement was a NEW announcement for additional furloughs. And then I wished them good luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee
apology accepted...

Latest resources

Back