• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

United Furloughs 290 More Pilots...

BigMotorToter

Total Time
United Airlines furloughs 290 pilots

United Airlines furloughs 290 pilots, part of previously announced plans to cut work force

• On Tuesday September 22, 2009, 3:41 pm EDT

CHICAGO (AP) -- United Airlines has furloughed another 290 pilots, part of previously announced plans to shrink its work force.
United has said it aims to shrink its work force by 7,000. It has been making periodic furloughs and, in some cases, layoffs to move toward that goal.

The new furloughs bring the total number of United pilots out of work to 1,164, according to the United branch of the Air Line Pilots Association.
In a hot line message, union spokesman and pilot Joe Doniach blamed the furloughs on "United management's inability to properly run an airline." He said the union would be working to restore all the furloughed pilots to United cockpits.

The union said it has about 6,400 remaining active pilots at United.
Like other carriers, United has been reducing the amount of flying it does to try to match less demand. United traffic and capacity have both fallen 9.2 percent this year through August compared with the same period last year.

On Tuesday, the Transportation Department reported that employment at the big airlines fell 7.1 percent in July compared with the previous year.
Among those carriers, the biggest drop was at Northwest, where employment fell 12.5 percent, as its new owner Delta Air Lines Inc. integrated it. United's work force shrank 11 percent according to the government's calculations, while American's work force shrank 6.9 percent. Alaska Airlines shrank 6 percent. Delta and US Airways Group Inc. were both down 4.4 percent and Continental shrank 4 percent.
Shares of United parent UAL Corp. fell 36 cents, or 3.8 percent, to $9.04 in afternoon trading.

cybourg10

Total Time
In other news BlowJets will begin to receive brand new CRJ700s flown under the worst contract in professional aviation history.....

volav8r1

Total Time
8500 +
Sorry to hear it guys!!!! From someone who is hanging on to the bottom of the "New Delta" list my thoughts are with those who are getting furloughed and their families! Times are deffinately tough but hopefully things will improve shortly

Vol

General Lee

Total Time
A lot
I think it said these were previously announced, right? These pilots did know about it, and this isn't a new announcement, right? Just getting the facts straight. Good luck to all of those involved.

Bye Bye--General Lee

SFR

Pilot Guy
Total Time
This goes back to 1998

Draginass

Total Time
5000+
And ALPA gets it's teeth kicked in . . . . . again. And all they do is sulk, complain, then get back into the airplane and be Tilton's b****.

DB Cooper

Total Time
<2
I noticed the alpa spokesman did not mention the change to age 65 as a reason for the furlough's.

bluechunks

Total Time
10000+
This goes back to 1998
Close but not quite. Fall of 1999. UAL was in such a hiring boom during those years that one year equals several hundred pilots. The so-called 'final' planned round in November will go back to the summer of 1999.

And yes, nothing new here. All of these had been previously included in the official plan to furlough 1450 (950 active) bodies. The furloughs have been mitigated slightly by voluntary furloughs and LOA's by more senior pilots.

We'll know the the 8-ball when the November numbers are official.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall at GoJets as furloughed pilots with 10 years of UA seniority end up in the right seats of CRJs. Yikes.

Last edited:

AWACoff

Total Time
SFR is a troll. Just put him on ignore like the rest of us and please stop "quoting" his posts (which, as you found out, are typically incorrect).

General Lee

Total Time
A lot
God your a d@ck!

Say what? I was just asking if these were new furloughs, or furloughs that were already announced. The original poster said 290 MORE furloughs. Thanks for not understanding my post.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

RedDogC130

Total Time
enough
Also does this count the people that took Voluntary furlough..I know one guy who took an voluntary furlough and got a good load of $$$ to do so....does this number reflect those or are the fresh new?

squall line

Total Time
Since the beginning of the year, Gojet has added at least 5 aircraft that I have noticed. It could be more...anybody out there have official numbers? At least they are hiring furloughed UAL guys instead of street hires with the addition of those new aircraft!

sl

AA767AV8TOR

Total Time
Sorry to hear the news. How many above the age of 65 over at UAL now??

AA767AV8TOR