• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UNITED changing name to United Express

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Prettymuch everyone here can agree that ALPA dropped the ball on scope long ago and it's an absolute f'in disaster now. How to fix it? I'm wracking my brain but am failing to see how having pilots from two different companies and two different seniority lists flying a plane owned by the regional due to the mainline pilots' lack of foresight and/or cojones in securing that flying for mainline is ANY less of an absolute f'in disaster.

I didn't sell anything.

Had a Skywest guy on a jumpseat spouting off how Skywest is ready to take over UAL flying when UAL goes Chap. 7. WITH WHAT??? an RJ?????

Are you saying you've either voted NO or not voted on a single contract since you've been there? If so, I'm tragically mistaken. Congratulations on doing your part to protect the profession. I guess you can blame your co-workers/predecessors for selling the profession out. They sold MY ability to get to mainline for a few trinkets, and now they want to take even more from the new guys in the profession - their left seats in a thriving regional.

I hope you kicked that SkyWest guy in the babymaker. If not, PM me his name and I'll do it for you if I ever see him.

Prettymuch everyone here can agree that ALPA dropped the ball on scope long ago and it's an absolute f'in disaster now. How to fix it? I'm wracking my brain but am failing to see how having pilots from two different companies and two different seniority lists flying a plane owned by the regional due to the mainline pilots' lack of foresight and/or cojones in securing that flying for mainline is ANY less of an absolute f'in disaster.

ALPA first "studied" the problem in 1995.....That's right... 13 years ago....Still no solutions....but more committees....

Here are the 1995, 1996, and 1997 reports...

http://www.rjdefense.com/scprpts.pdf

Now the problem has gotten much more complicated and more difficult to solve.....The chance for "single lists" on each property has probably passed....

Now each group is going to defend it's turf as best they can....

Are you saying you've either voted NO or not voted on a single contract since you've been there? If so, I'm tragically mistaken. Congratulations on doing your part to protect the profession. I guess you can blame your co-workers/predecessors for selling the profession out. They sold MY ability to get to mainline for a few trinkets, and now they want to take even more from the new guys in the profession - their left seats in a thriving regional.

I hope you kicked that SkyWest guy in the babymaker. If not, PM me his name and I'll do it for you if I ever see him.

I VOTED NO. I was once an EXPRESS guy too, so don't swinging the bat at me just yet, WHITEFORD was an idiot and signed away the ERJ-170 during the 2002 BK years....I was furloughed and laughed at the crappy flow back, went to fly 727's and MD-88's for a Charter company. I am all for ONE LIST. Always have been, the whipsawing has got to stop. I have been on BOTH sides of the issue.

ALPA needs to fix this. In my eyes if they do not I am out of here and will go fly as an expat. United is a great company just BAD MANAGERS running it into the ground.

However I will VOTE NO again to any give to SCOPE. Just aint gonna happen in the current climate.

"I am just saying"

Cool. I'm glad we're on the same side.

BTW, when you say ALPA needs to fix this, are you saying ALPA national, or your local? Cuz ALPA national apparently doesn't hold much sway with the SkyWest folks. That vote went down in flames. I think this needs to be fixed by you and your co-workers, not some ambiguous notion of "ALPA".

Locals can only apply bandaids. The real solution to what ails us is going to require strong leadership at the national level. Hell, I'd settle for strong leadership at ALPA National...but a truly comprehensive solution is going to require industry-wide cooperation, between unions.

Locals can only apply bandaids. The real solution to what ails us is going to require strong leadership at the national level. Hell, I'd settle for strong leadership at ALPA National...but a truly comprehensive solution is going to require industry-wide cooperation, between unions.

What if your regional doesn't have a union?

If the unions showed some real leadership and vision in dealing with the scope issue, I have a feeling that the non-union regionals wouldn't stay that way for long.

If the unions showed some real leadership and vision in dealing with the scope issue, I have a feeling that the non-union regionals wouldn't stay that way for long.

BINGO! If ALPA took a leadership role in this issue....The regionals would come to them....If ALPA keeps screwing it up....they won't.....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back