• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Captain Off Loads F/A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have read this whole thread and bus is right on the money. Maybe the FA wasn't giving the captain the respect he thought he deservered, but he was probably doing his job in back and wasn't storming the cockpit with a plastic knife.

Finish the flight, get the job you are being paid to do, done then take it out in the parking lot at ORD and kick the crap out of the FA. Actually my money would be on the FA after seeing some of those captains. Sometimes you have to look at the BIG picture.

You, "RNObased", are one of the more clueless posters on this thread.

"I have read this whole thread and bus is right on the money."

Right about what? And based on what information?

"Maybe the FA wasn't giving the captain the respect he thought he deservered, but he was probably doing his job in back and wasn't storming the cockpit with a plastic knife. "

Maybe the FA refused any communication on the interphone while alone in the fwd galley. Maybe the FA was pushing in breakers and using MEL's ovens or coffee makers, maybe the FA was copping cigs in the lav, maybe the FA was going nuts from his/her 3 Ambiem sleeping pill habit, maybe the FA threatened the CA on the interphone. Don't think they're capable of that? Ask the UAL Brazil guys about the two male FA's who held a hooker by her ankles over the railing of a hotel atrium 25 stories over the crowded lobby below, when she wouldn't give a 2 for 1 special.

"Finish the flight, get the job you are being paid to do, done then take it out in the parking lot at ORD and kick the crap out of the FA."

Now you're living in fairy tale world. You will go to jail for that even though I wish it was possible. Chances are good that "Bruce" spends half his single life at the gym and will wipe the floor with your arse also. The FA's at any legacy spend all their mental energy figuring exactly to the millisecond when the don't have to listen to the Captain after engine shutdown. Once they're walking off the jetbridge after a flight, they aren't listening to anything a Captain says.

"Actually my money would be on the FA after seeing some of those captains. Sometimes you have to look at the BIG picture."

I could be wrong, but your statement reminds me of what happened at my legacy. Our thousands of young B-Scale wonders came to a legacy where even the FE's had 18 years on the line. They saw the old grizzled Captain's "being mean" and "gruff" in handling the senior mammas. They of course were going to have more empathy and not be "meanies".

What happened? The FA's just took it as weakness and ran with it. Everytime one of these "caring and sharing" Captains ends up a simple command, directive, request or suggestion with the statement "If you have a chance, If you find the time, I know you're busy but..., " certain FA's will take that as meaning they will get around to it when they damn well feel like it.

I truly hope this Captain had a valid reason. If he did, he may have given a wake up call to every problem FA in this country. If he didn't he may have done some damage to our side.

You, "RNObased", are one of the more clueless posters on this thread.

"I have read this whole thread and bus is right on the money."

Right about what? And based on what information?

"Maybe the FA wasn't giving the captain the respect he thought he deservered, but he was probably doing his job in back and wasn't storming the cockpit with a plastic knife. "

Maybe the FA refused any communication on the interphone while alone in the fwd galley. Maybe the FA was pushing in breakers and using MEL's ovens or coffee makers, maybe the FA was copping cigs in the lav, maybe the FA was going nuts from his/her 3 Ambiem sleeping pill habit, maybe the FA threatened the CA on the interphone. Don't think they're capable of that? Ask the UAL Brazil guys about the two male FA's who held a hooker by her ankles over the railing of a hotel atrium 25 stories over the crowded lobby below, when she wouldn't give a 2 for 1 special.

"Finish the flight, get the job you are being paid to do, done then take it out in the parking lot at ORD and kick the crap out of the FA."

Now you're living in fairy tale world. You will go to jail for that even though I wish it was possible. Chances are good that "Bruce" spends half his single life at the gym and will wipe the floor with your arse also. The FA's at any legacy spend all their mental energy figuring exactly to the millisecond when the don't have to listen to the Captain after engine shutdown. Once they're walking off the jetbridge after a flight, they aren't listening to anything a Captain says.

"Actually my money would be on the FA after seeing some of those captains. Sometimes you have to look at the BIG picture."

I could be wrong, but your statement reminds me of what happened at my legacy. Our thousands of young B-Scale wonders came to a legacy where even the FE's had 18 years on the line. They saw the old grizzled Captain's "being mean" and "gruff" in handling the senior mammas. They of course were going to have more empathy and not be "meanies".

What happened? The FA's just took it as weakness and ran with it. Everytime one of these "caring and sharing" Captains ends up a simple command, directive, request or suggestion with the statement "If you have a chance, If you find the time, I know you're busy but..., " certain FA's will take that as meaning they will get around to it when they damn well feel like it.

I truly hope this Captain had a valid reason. If he did, he may have given a wake up call to every problem FA in this country. If he didn't he may have done some damage to our side.

Ahh... Nevermind. You are right, the FA was way out of line and he showed her. F the people in back they don't matter. Just a little too much God complex here.

Ahh... Nevermind. You are right, the FA was way out of line and he showed her. F the people in back they don't matter. Just a little too much God complex here.

Maybe it's because the people in the back DO matter that he offloaded the FA. Ever think of that, skippy? You are awful judgemental for not having all the facts.

No, I'm not right. With the information we have at this time, I'm going to wait before I convict the Captain or the Flight Attendant of wrongdoing. If you just add the statement "Maybe there is...." to your statement "Just a little too much God complex here.", it would be fair.

Try reading next time instead of cut/paste.

Do you actually work as a pilot?

Last edited:
Everyone seems to think that they have the right to usurp the Captain's authority without repercussions.

Just like everyone seems to think the PIC can excercise his/her authority under 91.3, 121.533, etc. without repercussions.

All decisions have consequences.

I'm just curious, do you have facts about this scenario the rest of us aren't privy to?

That's the million dollar comment here. I certainly don't, and it's unlikely that any one else here has the full scoop. Even if they do, they should keep mum until the proper channels are tuned in.

Having said that, my comments were never meant to defend or exonerate the FA in question. But I have a hard time imagining a situation where a cabin crew member failing to respect "mah authoritah" escalating to a situation where a Capt who was truly in charge (read that how you want...) should feel the need to land early for a boot. If there was truly a safety of flight issue, such as the FA implying or making threats, holding in CBs, etc, then the FA should have been tied up, incapacitated, whatever. That doesn't appear to have been done. So I guess it'll boil down to the people looking into this with all the facts on hand as to whether the Capt's decision was prudent or petty, or somewhere in between.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Not knowing all the facts (or any facts), I would guess that the company will be pissed at the captain, and try to hang him... but the FAA will hopefully still respect the captains authority. I am sure that his lawyer will argue "Captains authority, and Safety of Flight".

Will be waiting for more details on this one.

No, I'm not right. With the information we have at this time, I'm going to wait before I convict the Captain or the Flight Attendant of wrongdoing. If you just add the statement "Maybe there is...." to your statement "Just a little too much God complex here.", it would be fair.

Try reading next time instead of cut/paste.

Do you actually work as a pilot?

Yes, I work as a pilot. I didn't cut and paste either smart guy.

Time will tell if the capt was right or wrong. I would say he better hope he was correct.

Actually putting the word maybe in front of that sentence would be very wrong.

Off another web site. Exactly what I was pretty sure occured.

OK, I got the whole story, not first hand, but pretty reliable:

45 minutes into the 11-hr flight from GRU to ORD, Captain wonderful (his name
is XXXXXXXX, but he insisted to be called "Sir") called the purser who is in
the middle of FC service, he wants his"crew dec" (mind you, it's
not gen dec which the purser had already given it to him on the ground. I
think crew dec is our custom form, so Capt Wonderful probably have a list of
shopping to be declared). She said "I'm sorry I forgot, but I'll bring it to
you on your next potty break" He said "I want it NOW", she said "We're in the
middle of the FC service, I'll bring it to you on your next potty break". He
said "NOW". OK, whatever, since there was no spare FA to guard the cockpit door
as United wants us to, she slid the crew dec under the door. Done. After the
service when she goes up to do the potty break, F/O
came out, she goes in. The idiot started yelling at her so loud that the
FO heard in the lav, the FC galley girl guarding the door heard, and the entire
FC cabin heard. The F/O apologized to the FA saying that he's been a total
jerk the whole 4-day trip, doesn't allow them to call him by his name, they must
only call him "sir". Sounds like a wiener and a whiner to me..

Later when the purser was on break, she was woken up by the FC FA telling her
that she's got to get ready, they are landing in 30 min. Well, she's thinking
of course that there's a full cabin prep coming. Gets on the phone to the
cockpit "do you want to do this over the phone or should I go up
there?" "No, you've been relieved of your duties, I am not speaking to you
any more". He gets on the PA "Ladies & Gentlemen, we are making an unscheduled
landing in Miami in 30 minutes", no explanation, no apology.

The jerk had a choice of landing in MIA or MCO, he chose MIA because there're
no United personnel in MIA. The rest of the crew (other than purser and FC
girl) didn't have a clue of what's going on, even the other pilots weren't told
anything until the last minute (one of them was on break).

So they landed in MIA @ 0416 and pull up to the gate, and there were police,
TSA and Fire department all there, guns drawn. They only knew there's an
emergency, but they apparently had the purser's name. "Are you Patty Secrest?"
"Yes", "come with us". She stepped out on the jetbridge, and they ask what
happened. Capt came out and says...."She's a TERRORIST and I want her
arrested!!!!! "What happened?" "She defied the captain's authority, she refused
to bring my crerw dec when I asked for it, and slid it under the
door". The authorities are all sympathetic with the purser and looked at
the
capt like he's crazy, but she stays in MIA and the flt goes on to ORD.
They landed in ORD and are met by all the UAL people. Everyone was interviewed
individually and all told the same story (incl pilots). Capt refused to speak
without ALPA. He is currently on suspension, his license suspended (I was told,
can't verify that).

If the story was true which sounded like a true story, I hope United fires
XXXXXXX ass, and the purser sues what's left of his ass."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back