• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Captain Off Loads F/A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The biggest surprise about this story, is that they were only on the ground in MIA for under an hour. Considering this is not a UAL served airport, getting customs to take the FA, and getting fueled.

Here is my guess how the situation will unfold:

The FA union will scream bloody murder over this, dig in their heels until the FA is let off the hook. Management will in turn terminate the captain and the pilots union will turn a blind eye. Shortly thereafter a memo will come out stating that the lead FA is now the PIC (Person In Charge) and the captain and FO are last in the chain of command. Soon all airlines will begin to follow suit. All along the pilots unions will sit back and do nothing while it happens. Then 20 years down the road one ALPAs senior guys will say something like "maybe we should have fought for that".

Here is my guess how the situation will unfold:

The FA union will scream bloody murder over this, dig in their heels until the FA is let off the hook. Management will in turn terminate the captain and the pilots union will turn a blind eye. Shortly thereafter a memo will come out stating that the lead FA is now the PIC (Person In Charge) and the captain and FO are last in the chain of command. Soon all airlines will begin to follow suit. All along the pilots unions will sit back and do nothing while it happens. Then 20 years down the road one ALPAs senior guys will say something like "maybe we should have fought for that".

That's pretty damn funny! :beer:

The only exception for sitting up front with AA is when the Capt. is ex-TWA (my personal experience).

I agree with this statement! An ex=TWA cockpit crew went at it with the AA FAs over whether I should sit in first or coach. I was just happy for a ride, but was happy also when the pilots won and I sat in first!

Let's see how it shakes out.

I once returned to the gate to drop kick an FA.

A friend of mine almost did the same thing as the UA pilot. The FO needed to use the head and the FA said that she would get to it when she was good and ready and then she refused to answer the intercom.

My friend then called to the back and told them that the FA needed to come to the flight deck NOW. She arrived with her attitude intact and he told her she could shape up immediately or he would divert and kick her ass off the plane.

Luckily for her she did change her toon. Had she continued along her chosen path he damn well should have landed short and thrown her off.

The whole bathroom thing has been an issue since 9/11. It's not that hard to deal with it. If a cockpit crewmember has got to go, their is little justification for insubordination from the flight attendant. That said, it helps to appreciate the fact that they get do get busy and a little consideration from the cockpit pretty much will solve any communication issues on the matter. It's just not that hard to come to a mutually acceptable solution.

If nothing else works you can always wait till the F/A finally does come up and hand them a glass of OJ mixed with water and say "nevermind, but could you get ride of this?"

Pretty amazing how bravado on here. Did it ever occur to anybody on here that the Captain was just a dick trying to extend his 2 inch tool? YGTBSM diverting a 767 full of passangers to show what a stud he was. No wonder they are going broke and no wonder all the "super pilots" on here that find this so impressive are working at the misfit operatons they are.

Bus

After reading and enjoying all of this, I gotta go with Skybus on this one. Booting some drunken idiot or deranged terrorist wannabe in Halifax or Bangor is one thing. Stopping in MIA to offload a part of the crew due to an authority conflict is ridiculous. The one thing that the capt had correct was that the issue needed to be resolved on the ground. Thing is, it should have been done in ORD. There's either a lot more to this story, or the capt is a few froots short of a loop.

Having said that, freight might kill you, but it generally doesn't get bitchy.

The whole bathroom thing has been an issue since 9/11. It's not that hard to deal with it. If a cockpit crewmember has got to go, their is little justification for insubordination from the flight attendant. That said, it helps to appreciate the fact that they get do get busy and a little consideration from the cockpit pretty much will solve any communication issues on the matter. It's just not that hard to come to a mutually acceptable solution.

If nothing else works you can always wait till the F/A finally does come up and hand them a glass of OJ mixed with water and say "nevermind, but could you get ride of this?"

From the days of flying a Beech 1900 with no lav, I know of at least one pilot who diverted to use the potty. I suppose if an FA were to refuse a flight deck crew member's request to use the lav, said FA would have a lot of explaining to due if there was a diversion so a flight deck crew member could use the lav.

After reading and enjoying all of this, I gotta go with Skybus on this one. Booting some drunken idiot or deranged terrorist wannabe in Halifax or Bangor is one thing. Stopping in MIA to offload a part of the crew due to an authority conflict is ridiculous. The one thing that the capt had correct was that the issue needed to be resolved on the ground. Thing is, it should have been done in ORD. There's either a lot more to this story, or the capt is a few froots short of a loop.

Having said that, freight might kill you, but it generally doesn't get bitchy.

Exactly...

I'm reminded of a particularly humerous South Park episode where Cartman is appointed Hall Monitor.

"RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH"

What a f****** a$$ clown to throw off a crew member like that on the way to your destination. What's the matter? Never learned conflict resolution as a toddler the way the rest of us learn it? Don't know how to be an adult and find an amicable solution to a problem. That's exactly the kind of guy who has no business in charge of an airliner.

What a d***head. Some time off without pay is in order....

Latest resources

Back